The idiots are out there

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Re: The idiots are out there

Post by aj1500 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:26 am

I had an interesting ordeal Friday, I'm on my way to work Friday morning and right as I get to my exit a car passes me then shoots over and cuts me off to make the exit then after I recover from that they slam on the brakes and slow to a crawl :o so again I'm all brakes and manage to keep a safe distance but man was it close. I make a mental note that it is some brand new Honda with strange looking tail lights and they are from NY
well I spurt a few unpleasant words under my helmet and then move on and let it be

OK fast forward to the afternoon and I'm coming to the red light to make my left turn back onto the highway, the traffic opposite us is clear other than one car coming up to get on the highway, this means we have the right of way
so the car in front of me accels a little more than me and as I'm following in behind that car coming the opposite way speeds up and cuts me off and I have to slam on the brakes while in a full left turn and accerating, now here's the pisser,, it was that same damn white Honda from NY from the morning :shock: :x

Oh did I mention I was also pulling my camper when all this happened
What is wrong with people these days :?

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:45 am

aj1500 wrote:... I make a mental note that it is some brand new Honda with strange looking tail lights and they are from NY...
...now here's the pisser,, it was that same damn white Honda from NY from the morning :shock: :x
I would say that White Honda is not your guardian angel. :roll:

I'd keep an extra eye out for future reference on that car.
Never know when YOU will have the advantage of hindering his progress. :twisted: SAFELY of course.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:23 pm

aj1500 wrote:I had an interesting ordeal Friday. I'm coming to the red light to make my left turn onto the highway. The traffic opposite me is clear other than one car coming up to get on the highway, this means I have the right of way.
The car in front of me accels a little more than me and as I'm following in behind that car coming the opposite way speeds up and cuts me off and I have to slam on the brakes while in a full left turn and accerating, What is wrong with people these days :?
Another close call! I'm very glad it worked out well for you, and that you weren't seriously hurt, or worse. I edited your post just to make my point. I hope you're not offended.
Crap like this happens to me all the time!! "Right Of Way" means virtually nothing these days. I wish it did, but it plainly doesn't mean a damn thing. Like they say, "you might have the right of way, but you could also be dead right". I think that there's a lot wrong with people these days. Anger, bullying, violence, idiocy, the list goes on. I strongly believe, that in the end, the only path to survival on the road, and quite frankly anywhere, is to assume absolutely nothing. I think I have a pretty good idea about how you feel toward the driver of the Honda.

Glad you're Ok!...............................Dave....Ommmmm...
"Assume Nothing"

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:54 pm

One very high percentage way of BEING safe while riding....
On your dash and seen through the windshield a foot wide white placard in all capital black letters...
POLICE

In small print to the top left is the word THE
8-)

'

Kind'a like this..

:D
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:11 pm

one thing that would have at least been in my favor had things went sideways is that I have a dash cam and it runs full time if the bike is running it is filming. at least there would have been a video recording of the events if I wasn't able to relay them
I can say without question had I been on 2 wheels during that second encounter, I may not have hit him but I would have went down

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:49 pm

I have to admit that I always make ONE assumption: Whatever bad that can happen, will. That way I'm ready...

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:58 pm

"I can say without question had I been on 2 wheels during that second encounter,.."

Some of us seems to be a magnet for idiots out there.
My one week NEW 1978 Ford van running Indiana US-30 west along a long stretch of limited side roads from the right. Reasonably close we all were for it's getting close to the afternoon rush and doing 50-55 mph. This lady driver, hubby in the passenger and 2 kids in the back turns RIGHT in front of me. There was no way I was going to stop and no room to go anywhere, the best I could do was squeeze left and hope the drivers on my left helped out, they did. I passed that car without hitting anyone. As part of that emergency maneuver I was on two wheels, as said by the driver behind me at the next stoplight.

IF ONLY they would did this when I'm in my old clunkers.... :(

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:27 pm

I must live in a different world. I've encountered some aggressive drivers and riders, but they didn't seem to discriminate against bikers.

I will predict that, in the next few years, drivers and riders will be less aggressive. That's because more and more cameras are starting to be running full time in vehicles, so that the "at-fault" parties will face prosecution and the ensuing law-suits. I'm thinking about mounting a camera on my scoot, just for my own defense.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:04 pm

This doesn't concern motorcycles but I think it fits the idiot part well.
Yesterday, or day before, while listening to the weather report, the weatherman started talking about the hurricane down there south of Cuba.
He was talking about some islands that were in the path of this hurricane. And then he said officials have issued the order to evacuate.
Where do you evacuate to on an island?
:shock: :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:53 pm

im sure theres a storm shelter somewhere on an island, isn't there?

stuart.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Post by OldZX11Rider » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Shelters or volcanoes. :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm

CURIOUS!
Is this happening anywhere else?

Since Friday, this past 4 days cars and large pickup trucks drifting over the center line right at me. I ride in the center of the lane when in town, need all the road space possible for these PROBABLE IDIOTS from my right and left. Two were possible texting (but highly doubt it, they were looking up) the other two smiled at me as they did it. All 4 incidents were broad daylight, no sun in their eyes and clear roads. My headlights were on low beams and the lower corner lights have 20 watts halogens for DRL's (Daylight Running Lights), so there is no excuse.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:48 pm

I've been a bit busy, this happened a couple days ago.
Riding a small towns local 4 lanes and traffic is moderately heavy. Both lanes smoothly traveling along, I'm in the left (inside) lane and we're slowly passing the lane on our right. So far so good. BUT!!!...
I get this feeling a few moments earlier to put my thumb on the horn button. As I'm passing the cars on my right I'm watching the vehicles tires for tell-tale signs of lane changing. Sure nuff, this mid-sized 4 door American ford front tire is drifting left and when it crossed the line I lay on my horn. Now I don't do little tweet-tweets when this happens, OH NO... I go for the good 1 second BLURRRRT on my LOUD 139 DB twin horns. Well that male driver RIPS his car back into his lane, inside I'm smiling. What happens next, happens in less than 2 seconds.
After he gets in his lane I'm looking in the right mirror for a possible "SORRY" hand signal... NOPE, something much better. :P
I see he's looking down at his wife's lap and she's looking down also. I don't see any lips moving but I do see her right hand tossing her whole cup of 'X' at him, SPLAAaaa-LASH! it was a good sized cup and that liquid went ALL over the inside. :lol:
I had to LOL with my head shaking, it was that good. Shame I have no video of that moment. It was definitely a good AFV moment. ;)

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:23 am

its also very lucky for you that driver didn't loose control of his vehicle and swerve into your lane and side swipe you.

stuart.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:29 am

roadwanderer2 wrote:its also very lucky for you that driver didn't loose control of his vehicle and swerve into your lane and side swipe you.

stuart.
Seeing all that happen in my mirror means I was well ahead of any reaction by that vehicle.
I'm sure it was a cup of soda. There were kid[s] in the back seat.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:49 am

FM-USA wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote:its also very lucky for you that driver didn't loose control of his vehicle and swerve into your lane and side swipe you.

stuart.
Seeing all that happen in my mirror means I was well ahead of any reaction by that vehicle.
I'm sure it was a cup of soda. There were kid[s] in the back seat.
oh, ok, you were already past him. i thought he and you were side-by-side. im sorry, i just woke up and my coffee isn't working yet lol.

stuart.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:46 am

ummmm, ya, I see your point.
I've never seen a sideswipe happen in a situation like mine. Although a very long time ago (early 70's) I seen one veer so far right it slammed a concrete barrier on their right. (south of Lake Michigan I-80 under construction)
(a possible Butch Cassidy out-take) "Slight over correction there Butch?" :lol:

Slowly remembering things...
That was a time when old cars had poor maintenance on there steering linkage. Once a sudden swerve is started it's difficult to regain control. Kinda like a bike death wobble, once it starts it gets progressively worse quick.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:32 pm

FM-USA wrote:ummmm, ya, I see your point.
I've never seen a sideswipe happen in a situation like mine. Although a very long time ago (early 70's) I seen one veer so far right it slammed a concrete barrier on their right. (south of Lake Michigan I-80 under construction)
(a possible Butch Cassidy out-take) "Slight over correction there Butch?" :lol:

Slowly remembering things...
That was a time when old cars had poor maintenance on there steering linkage. Once a sudden swerve is started it's difficult to regain control. Kinda like a bike death wobble, once it starts it gets progressively worse quick.
or worse, a breaking idler arm or Pittman arm. i've had an idler arm go out on me while i was driving in NY. it wasn't easy to keep my car under control. fortunately there was nothing on ether side of me so i had both lanes open at the time and my car did go into both lanes before coming to a stop in the middle of the highway.

stuart.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:33 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:or worse, a breaking idler arm or Pittman arm. i've had an idler arm go out on me while i was driving in NY. it wasn't easy to keep my car under control. fortunately there was nothing on ether side of me so i had both lanes open at the time and my car did go into both lanes before coming to a stop in the middle of the highway.

stuart.
I ran over unexpected debris on a highway in heavy traffic at 70 mph in my 1991 MR2 Turbo. It took out the left tie rod, and the left wheel went pretty much sideways, followed by the car doing pretty much the same thing. I went across three lanes of traffic sideways, into a concrete wall, impact on the front of the car, spun around, impact again (back end of the car), and back out into traffic, coming to rest sideways across two lanes. By some miracle, I did not hit any other cars, and I (more or less) walked away from it, with a bruised spleen, concussion and burns and abrasions from the air bag, which saved my life.

The car was destroyed. The front end and back end looked like they had been in a car crusher, but the cabin area was completely untouched. The doors even still opened and shut.Those guys at Toyota sure knew how to make a car.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:51 am

WingAdmin wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote:or worse, a breaking idler arm or Pittman arm. i've had an idler arm go out on me while i was driving in NY. it wasn't easy to keep my car under control. fortunately there was nothing on ether side of me so i had both lanes open at the time and my car did go into both lanes before coming to a stop in the middle of the highway.

stuart.
I ran over unexpected debris on a highway in heavy traffic at 70 mph in my 1991 MR2 Turbo. It took out the left tie rod, and the left wheel went pretty much sideways, followed by the car doing pretty much the same thing. I went across three lanes of traffic sideways, into a concrete wall, impact on the front of the car, spun around, impact again (back end of the car), and back out into traffic, coming to rest sideways across two lanes. By some miracle, I did not hit any other cars, and I (more or less) walked away from it, with a bruised spleen, concussion and burns and abrasions from the air bag, which saved my life.

The car was destroyed. The front end and back end looked like they had been in a car crusher, but the cabin area was completely untouched. The doors even still opened and shut.Those guys at Toyota sure knew how to make a car.
yes, Toyota does make a good car. my wife's 1999 Camry is still going strong with 158,XXX miles on her and can still keep up with the rest of traffic, or lead the way thru it lol. if we decide to purchase another vehicle it will be another Camry, maybe not a brand new one, but it will be from a 2010 and up. personally, i like the 2012 models for its styling.

stuart.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 am

Justice is finally served. Idiot gets 15 years. http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/03/ ... sault.html
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:00 pm

dingdong wrote:Justice is finally served. Idiot gets 15 years. http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/03/ ... sault.html
Hey Tom,

That's the best news I've heard for a long time. It looks good on the wipe-out!!

Thanks for that Tom........................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 pm

15 years ain't long enough for what he done, but i guess its better than nothing. anyone heard how the female rider is doing?

stuart.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:55 pm

15+69=84 Yaaaa, that's pretty much a life sentence for him.

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Maybe he won't be too popular with any bikers that happen to be in there with him. Or maybe he will be popular! :lol:

"Assume Nothing"