The idiots are out there

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: The idiots are out there

Post by brettchallenger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:54 am

I find it all deeply sad. One silly, outlandish moment of idiocy, based on feeling some kind of slight. The result is two people nearly killed, and we don't know what lasting damage has been done, either physically or emotionally. On the other hand, a man who might or might not be a deeply unpleasant person will spend the rest of his natural life or most of it, behind bars. A waste of humanity and money all for nothing.

I wish everyone reading this unfortunate account would learn something from it. Alas, it won't be the last time we read of stupidity like this. There is enough hurt in this world, exacted by disease and accident, why do we have to add to it needlessly?

Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:21 am

Solina Dave wrote:Maybe he won't be too popular with any bikers that happen to be in there with him. Or maybe he will be popular! :lol:
well, what ever he gets, he'll deserve it.

stuart.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:04 am

Regretfully more of this type of KRAP is going to happen and in different ways. As long as there are those who have a HATRED for anything non-car like.
Sad thing is, there is no way to get these type of people to change. WE must be all that more aware of the possibility/probability.
I also say we need to have a 360 degree video cam running, it will be the only supporting evidence if and when needed. Many of us ride solo on less traveled roads, so we don't have a witness with us.
For $0.99 I tried a smartphone magnetic 360 degree CCC lens. Don't bother with them, nothing but badly blurred videos.

Maybe a sticker on your bike?

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:26 am

FM-USA wrote:Regretfully more of this type of KRAP is going to happen and in different ways. As long as there are those who have a HATRED for anything non-car like.
I think that it's more than just a hatred for a non-car FM. I think that it's also a child-like desperation for something that they can't have, and probably never will. And that's the perceived freedom that the motorcyclist has. So their rage is demonstrated by a completely irrational, and very dangerous striking out. It's much like a child that's denied something they want, and it escalates into violence.
Also, unfortunately it makes me feel that this thread, and the thread titled, "It is time to say goodbye", almost need to be blended together. But then if we do that, have the terrorists won?
Just be as vigilant and careful as you possibly can, and enjoy your ride.................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

I have a video of a car pulling over twice and hitting me on my bike, but the police don't want to see it because I didn't call them at that time. I didn't happen to have a phone on me. I went to the local sheriffs office, but it was closed. Took it to the office closer to home and they don't want to see it either. :? Luckily I was able to keep it on the road!
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:27 pm

seelyark1 wrote:I have a video of a car pulling over twice and hitting me on my bike, but the police don't want to see it because I didn't call them at that time. ... Took it to the office closer to home and they don't want to see it either. :? Luckily I was able to keep it on the road!
911 was your key, always carry a phone even 911 works on No Service phones.

Ya always a catch, have to report within X time. But you're not at total loss tho it be Small Claims court.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Post by harvey01 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:32 pm

seelyark1 wrote:I have a video of a car pulling over twice and hitting me on my bike, but the police don't want to see it because I didn't call them at that time. I didn't happen to have a phone on me. I went to the local sheriffs office, but it was closed. Took it to the office closer to home and they don't want to see it either. :? Luckily I was able to keep it on the road!
Seelyark1, I gather from your description there were no injuries reported. The next key would be was there enough damage in the estimation of the deputy/officer to reach the threshold required by Florida law. This threshold varies from state to state and can range from a couple hundred dollars to a couple thousand.

The fact you were on a motorcycle and was riding it may have implied to the deputy/officer that the damage was slight.

What did the other driver do? Did he stop and provide you with assistance, his license number, vehicle registration and phone number. If he did none of the above then you should have been talking a hit and run and not just a crash.

Remember, most deputies/officers do not want to investigate crashes. In that light, review your story and the manner it was told and decide if you still think the deputy/officer failed to act and if so, then contact the department and file a complaint.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:45 pm

FM-USA wrote:Regretfully more of this type of KRAP is going to happen and in different ways. As long as there are those who have a HATRED for anything non-car like.
Sad thing is, there is no way to get these type of people to change. WE must be all that more aware of the possibility/probability.
I also say we need to have a 360 degree video cam running, it will be the only supporting evidence if and when needed. Many of us ride solo on less traveled roads, so we don't have a witness with us.
For $0.99 I tried a smartphone magnetic 360 degree CCC lens. Don't bother with them, nothing but badly blurred videos.

Maybe a sticker on your bike?

ON BOARD VIDEO.PNG
personally, i like the idea of the sticker, but i would put on it......."warning, hidden camera video recording". one sticker on the front of the bike and another one on the rear of the bike.

stuart.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:50 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:personally, i like the idea of the sticker, but i would put on it......."warning, hidden camera video recording". one sticker on the front of the bike and another one on the rear of the bike.

stuart.
Just what I was silently hoping for, other ideas.
I like that, KEEP'M guessing. Does he or doesn't he, should I take that chance? :twisted:

jandjgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500, 1992 FXDC, 1976 CB750

Post by jandjgoldwing » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:04 pm

brettchallenger wrote:I find it all deeply sad. One silly, outlandish moment of idiocy, based on feeling some kind of slight. The result is two people nearly killed, and we don't know what lasting damage has been done, either physically or emotionally. On the other hand, a man who might or might not be a deeply unpleasant person will spend the rest of his natural life or most of it, behind bars. A waste of humanity and money all for nothing.

I wish everyone reading this unfortunate account would learn something from it. Alas, it won't be the last time we read of stupidity like this. There is enough hurt in this world, exacted by disease and accident, why do we have to add to it needlessly?
Amen to that, Brother! Road rage tests the discipline of the human spirit. I do my level best to keep my cool, even though there are people who think they are better than I. I figure that these types will find each other.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 am

FM-USA wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote:personally, i like the idea of the sticker, but i would put on it......."warning, hidden camera video recording". one sticker on the front of the bike and another one on the rear of the bike.

stuart.
I like that, KEEP'M guessing. Does he or doesn't he, should I take that chance? :twisted:
They can't even see you, how do you expect them to see a sticker?
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:34 am

dingdong wrote:
FM-USA wrote:

stuart.
Well... if they miss this sign....

:twisted:

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:50 am

Yeah that might get their attention.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 pm

FM-USA wrote:
dingdong wrote:
FM-USA wrote: Just what I was silently hoping for, other ideas.
Well... if they miss this sign....
M-Tank.PNG
:twisted:
with a bike like that, you don't need a camera LOL.

stuart.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:18 pm

My whole post was to confirm that, Yes, the idiots are out there. I was really lucky! This guy was following me into a curve. He changed lanes, pulled up beside me and then came over into my lane, hit me, swerved back to the other lane, so he definitely knew he had hit me, then came over and hit me again. I was leaned over in the curve so what he was hitting on the bike was the engine guards, front and rear. Would have thought hitting me once would be enough. It was like he was trying to push me off the road. No real damage to the bike, and I was fine. So I continued to follow him till he finally pulled over. He got out looked to see if his car was damaged and got back in his car and drove off. If I had been next to my bike I would have followed him home so I knew where he lived. Then followed up with the police who didn't care that he had hit me, not once but twice, all on camera.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

SlowTyper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by SlowTyper » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:58 pm

I am glad to see the vengeful driver will be spending jail time (Justice is finally served. Idiot gets 15 years. http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/03/ ... sault.html)

But I also hope readers of this forum note that the accident video seems to indicate the motorcyclist locked his rear wheel while trying to serve, resulting in the bike going down more violently than it otherwise would have. Specifically, as motorcyclists, we need to continually refresh our skills performing panic stops, using both front and rear brakes at their maximum potential.

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by brettchallenger » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:31 am

It was like he was trying to push me off the road.
This is reminiscent of the 1971 film, "Duel" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/

All rather sinister.

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:57 am

SlowTyper wrote:I am glad to see the vengeful driver will be spending jail time (Justice is finally served. Idiot gets 15 years. http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/03/ ... sault.html)

But I also hope readers of this forum note that the accident video seems to indicate the motorcyclist locked his rear wheel while trying to serve, resulting in the bike going down more violently than it otherwise would have. Specifically, as motorcyclists, we need to continually refresh our skills performing panic stops, using both front and rear brakes at their maximum potential.
That's absolutely true. He may not have gone down at all if he had tried to ride out of the situation instead of braking. (Locking up rear brake equals total loss of control). Alas, second guessing doesn't change what happened in this situation though.
Tom

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:03 am

Ever since some of you few to many had posted near misses of drivers from the right don't stop (ETC), I've been rather leery of every vehicle on the right.
Apprehensive? Probably, but I've added to my regiment to always automatically lean left and tighten myself to move left JUST IN CASE they dart out.

This saved me a several months ago when this kid in daddy's near new Volvo wagon didn't stop for the stop sign. This threw me into the MT oncoming lane (2 lanes).
That kid put his hands up in the sorry mode... (Nice kid. Needs more atte.. atte-ah..attention I say)

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by brettchallenger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 am

near misses of drivers from the right
Yes, I always regard the drivers of vehicles - especially Volvos, at road junctions (they are on the left here, given that we drive on the correct side of the road) as homicidal fools intent of doing me serious harm.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 am

wrong side of the road?
... sorry I posted.

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:13 pm

The other day I was driving down this one-way road when I get a call from the wife. "Be careful out there!" she says, the news says there is some maniac going down the road the wrong way!"
I say to her, "It's not just the one car, there are hundreds of them!"

:-)
-stolen joke, I admit it.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 pm

cyberlon wrote:The other day I was driving down this one-way road when I get a call from the wife. "Be careful out there!" she says, the news says there is some maniac going down the road the wrong way!"
I say to her, "It's not just the one car, there are hundreds of them!"

:-)
-stolen joke, I admit it.
Well it might be a stolen joke, but I never heard that one before. That's a good one! :lol:
"Assume Nothing"

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Post by brettchallenger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:38 am

the news says there is some maniac going down the road the wrong way!"
Lol

Every time I cross the channel and go to France it's like that.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:40 am

brettchallenger wrote:
the news says there is some maniac going down the road the wrong way!"
Lol

Every time I cross the channel and go to France it's like that.

Brett, at that other site, you were able to goat folks into a discussion that went to a rather heated banter about WHO IS ON THE PROPER SIDE OF THE ROAD.
Unless you can convince the countries that drive on your preferential SIDE of the road, ya think this is a moot point and drop the antagonism?