The idiots are out there

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: The idiots are out there

Post by dingdong » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am

FM-USA wrote:
brettchallenger wrote:
the news says there is some maniac going down the road the wrong way!"
Lol

Every time I cross the channel and go to France it's like that.

Brett, at that other site, you were able to goat folks into a discussion that went to a rather heated banter about WHO IS ON THE PROPER SIDE OF THE ROAD.
Unless you can convince the countries that drive on your preferential SIDE of the road, ya think this is a moot point and drop the antagonism?

??? Did I miss something or am I just slow???

My fears are of the idiots coming at me from the "other" side of the road. Irregardless of their preferred side of the road they are still heading straight for me with their thumbs occupied and heading for the other side. My side.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:35 am

dingdong wrote:
FM-USA wrote:
brettchallenger wrote:
Lol

Brett, at that other site, you were able to goat folks into a discussion that went to a rather heated banter about WHO IS ON THE PROPER SIDE OF THE ROAD.
Unless you can convince the countries that drive on your preferential SIDE of the road, ya think this is a moot point and drop the antagonism?

??? Did I miss something or am I just slow???

My fears are of the idiots coming at me from the "other" side of the road. Irregardless of their preferred side of the road they are still heading straight for me with their thumbs occupied and heading for the other side. My side.
Now that's a funny joke. Reminded me of I-40 and US-75 here in Ok, happens quite often.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 pm

redbug wrote:
dingdong wrote: ??? Did I miss something or am I just slow???

Now that's a funny joke. Reminded me of I-40 and US-75 here in Ok, happens quite often.
HATE to say but it looks like it's happening all over. There's more reports of head on collisions with opposing lanes that border each other. HUMMmm, bordering... a wall? :shock:

In just our town several times weekly there's some head on wreck and about 50% of the time there's a fatality. It's a mix of all ages and ethnics.

We also have a high influx of 'illegal border jumpers' now illegally driving on illegally issued drivers licenses and I'm seeing them more & more with their nose looking in their laps. (enter your joke here_________) :D
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Post by redbug » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:34 pm

I was referring to the joke that cyberlon had posted and it did remind me of the I40 US75 problem which we have along with the other problems. It just brought my awareness level up to be prepared, head and eyes up 9 to 14 seconds ahead and to the rear. No joke here.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Of course it's serious but it seems our cops & politicians don't think so.

About 1.5 years ago, not 3 blocks from home, I had 2 in one day on purpose drive across the center line at me. One guy was smiling as if playing chicken, the other a blank face woman.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

cyberlon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Post by cyberlon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35 pm

I think we can all agree that the top side is the correct side of the road to drive on, even cagers agree. Well, maybe not Elon Musk, since he's building large underground networks of tunnels for vehicles under LA.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:44 pm

FM-USA wrote:
redbug wrote:
dingdong wrote: ??? Did I miss something or am I just slow???

HATE to say but it looks like it's happening all over. There's more reports of head on collisions with opposing lanes that border each other. HUMMmm, bordering... a wall? :shock:

In just our town several times weekly there's some head on wreck and about 50% of the time there's a fatality. It's a mix of all ages and ethnics.

We also have a high influx of 'illegal border jumpers' now illegally driving on illegally issued drivers licenses and I'm seeing them more & more with their nose looking in their laps. (enter your joke here_________) :D
It's no joke. I have a friend who was killed on a sunny Saturday morning on a rural road, by an inattentive driver who allowed his car to wander across the lane and hit my friend head-on. He left behind a wife and two young daughters.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:21 pm

DWi acronym has a new meaning...
Driving While iPhoning

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Mon May 01, 2017 7:26 am

I can't even count the number of times oncoming traffic has crossed the yellow line and there have been 2 near misses when I had to dodge the oncoming vehicle. One came within 12 or so inches of hitting us. On both occasions we were riding the twisties in Arkansas. ???
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 pm

I went for a very nice 310 km. ride today. There was sun and clouds, and it hovered around 16ºC/61ºF. I didn't encounter any idiots, although I know they were out there, and it was a relatively uneventful ride in that regard. So that was good. Things did get busier as the day went on, because it was the beginning of our Victoria Day holiday long weekend, and the cottages of course were calling.
Having said that, I did get passed by several vehicles, although I was 10 to 15 over the limit myself. Mostly it was pickup trucks. The vehicles would come up behind me, tail-gate until an opportunity to pass was created, pass me, and then match my speed once they were ahead of me. Why is that? Why do they do that? What's the point? I get the feeling that they are impatient with me, not going fast enough. But why will they slow down, and appear quite content to travel at a moderate speed, once they're past me? I'm sure that you've wondered about that yourself, from time to time.

Just sounding off, curious, and trying to spark conversation. Don't mind me!.............................Dave :?
"Assume Nothing"

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:12 pm

because as the thread says......."THE IDIOTS ARE OUT THERE LOL.

stuart.

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Makes you kind of wish that you could have a recoilless 106 mounted on your wing. May slow some of them down for a while. Makes me wonder what are these people thinking when they get in a car or truck and do this. Also need a hammer on each side of the handlebars to work over the lane changers too.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Tue May 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Actually I'd much rather have the idiots up ahead of me, where I can keep an eye on them, rather than have them tailgating behind me. I generally have no problem, and I'm certainly not in so much of a hurry, that I mind pulling over onto the shoulder when I get the chance, and letting the idiots pass me before they get a chance to try it on their own, and making me a part of their potentially dangerous maneuver. It's not always the most convenient way to handle that situation, especially when traffic is heavy. But as far as I'm concerned, if I'm afforded the opportunity, I'll yield the right-of-way every time, rather than challenge some idiot behind the wheel of 4000 lbs. of steel, going 60 mph.

Does that make sense to anybody else :?:..............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

dingdong
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Wed May 24, 2017 7:41 am

Solina Dave wrote:I went for a very nice 310 km. ride today. There was sun and clouds, and it hovered around 16ºC/61ºF. I didn't encounter any idiots, although I know they were out there, and it was a relatively uneventful ride in that regard. So that was good. Things did get busier as the day went on, because it was the beginning of our Victoria Day holiday long weekend, and the cottages of course were calling.
Having said that, I did get passed by several vehicles, although I was 10 to 15 over the limit myself. Mostly it was pickup trucks. The vehicles would come up behind me, tail-gate until an opportunity to pass was created, pass me, and then match my speed once they were ahead of me. Why is that? Why do they do that? What's the point? I get the feeling that they are impatient with me, not going fast enough. But why will they slow down, and appear quite content to travel at a moderate speed, once they're past me? I'm sure that you've wondered about that yourself, from time to time.

Just sounding off, curious, and trying to spark conversation. Don't mind me!.............................Dave :?
Dave, it is a personality thing and is about being in control. Some folks don't like to be behind another vehicle "ever". So they see you ahead of them and think that that you might slow them down so they speed up and pass even when they are driving at or even under your speed.
Tom

Solina Dave

Post by Solina Dave » Wed May 24, 2017 8:32 am

100% Tom!! Ain't that the truth? :lol: And power!! You know, I always feel much more in control, if I'm behind, and well behind, and can see what things are developing up ahead of me.

Dave
"Assume Nothing"

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Post by brettchallenger » Wed May 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Lol

I was making the point that when I occasionally drive in countries where they insist on driving on the right, I have been known to inadvertently continue to drive on the left - It is quite a problem on both sides of the English Channel near ports until drivers/riders get used to things. It usually occurs when you have stopped for a break, relaxed and then simply set off on the side of the road you are used to.

It is a problem with pedestrians in tourist areas too, especially in busy places like London, when people simply look left then step out into the road, forgetting that the traffic on their side of the road is actually coming from the right.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg » Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 pm

The manual says the yellow wire from the RADIO wiring harness should go direct to the battery through a fuse (1 amp should be ok) - that's the memory voltage wire.

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg » Wed May 24, 2017 7:43 pm

sorry wrong post my bad
;)

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 24, 2017 8:21 pm

TODAY'S IDIOTS OUT THERE...

Small red car waiting for the red to turn green, this is at a 4 lane by 4 lane intersection. EH, that's usual except a few things.
She was waiting for that light to change straddling both lanes. Behind her in the left lane a cop, me in the right. Light turned green she didn't move. I looked at the cop, he at me and did nothing. 5 seconds later I gave up and laid on my horn. Now you think that cop would have done something. NOPE, one block down he turned left, lady went straight and my planned route was with the cop.
Three city size blocks down here's another car at the stop sign. Car was there the whole time we were approaching. Yup, I look that far ahead. Cop stopped behind him, I in the right turn lane. I noticed the dude was looking down reading/texting on his phone. No horn from me this time but I went around the block (small block) convened to both at next intersection and again the cop did nothing.
Shift change? nope, middle of the afternoon shift. Arrest delivery, nope, back seat empty. Cop wasn't in any hurry so no idea why he's not performing his duties.
I do see too many squads parked in empty parking lots WAY-WAY in the back. Secrete rendezvous? :shock:
ANYWAYS,... Things are just odd, weird & wrong these days.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 24, 2017 8:23 pm

rcgreg wrote:sorry wrong post my bad
;)
ARRRrrrr... 20 lashes and one "keel hull" for you. :lol:

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg » Wed May 24, 2017 8:26 pm

No rum ? That's cruel and unusual punishment :)

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 24, 2017 8:36 pm

(Seinfeld's Soup Nazi) "NO ENJOYMENT FOR YOU!" :twisted:

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg » Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Coises I say Coises !
I'm taking my ball and going home - wait - I didn't bring one

Coises !!! :)

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 24, 2017 8:53 pm

rcgreg wrote:Coises I say Coises !
I'm taking my ball and going home - wait - I didn't bring one

Coises !!! :)
WATCH IT WISEGUY, you're calling Dusty Boots.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 am

I have a good friend of mine who I have known for many years. She got a call two nights ago that her 19 year old son had been in a serious car crash, and was in critical condition in hospital. She's been with him since. He had emergency surgery for abdominal injuries, and is being treated for a brain bleed due to head trauma. It's a miracle that he is alive, being that the seat of his car was pretty much gone, and the engine ended up in the passenger seat.

He unfortunately looked down for a second or two at his cell phone, and that's all it took for him to drift across into the oncoming lane, where he hit a car head-on at 65 mph. He managed to crawl out of the wreck, but collapsed on the road. The other driver was not so lucky, and was killed in the crash.

Distracted driving is a serious safety issue. In 2015 (most recent statistics available) 3,477 people were killed and 391,000 people were injured in the USA due to distracted driving. As motorcyclists we're even more vulnerable.

Keep a sharp lookout and stay alert, and ride as if you expect the other driver to be texting and inattentive.