Toll Booths

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mterrac
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki Boulevard

Toll Booths

Postby mterrac » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:11 am

Is there a type of toll pass that works well on a Goldwing? The literature I read states that a sticker on the windshield will not work as a toll pass. Will the device that I'd normally stick on the windshield in the car work if it's in the pocket of my riding jacket when I ride through the toll booth?

Thanks very much for the input.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Toll Booths

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:19 am

First, welcome to the forum.
Whether a particular toll pass works in a certain way is dependent on the technology and best asked of the company managing the tollway.
Here in North Texas, I have my pass taped to the bottom inside of the windshield and it works just fine and have seen others this way as well.
Ours is a very thin sticker with the microchip inside rather than the thicker box I've seen elsewhere.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:23 am

There are two types of toll booth passes: active and passive. Active passes have a battery, receiver and transmitter, and are triggered by the toll booth when they pass under it. When triggered, they transmit their unique ID number. A good example of this is the E-Z Pass, which I have on my bike:

E-Z Pass works in many states:

Delaware
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia
Illinois (I-Pass)
North Carolina (QuickPass)

They have motorcycle-only E-Z Pass units which have an "M" or "MC" designation on them. They can be used only on motorcycles, but give you discounted toll rates (when available) for motorcycles.

They can be installed on the windshield just like they are on your car - this is how I have it installed on my GL1500.

There are also "holders" that you can mount using RAM mounts that hold the pass (in a rather ugly fashion) onto the handlebars.

What does NOT work is:

- Keeping it in your pocket, or anywhere near your body
- Holding it in your hand up in the air (I had only about 50% success rate trying this method)
- Putting it in your trunk
- Putting it anywhere near large pieces of metal
- Putting it anywhere where it is covered by more than a think piece of plastic

I suspect that it would still work if it was mounted to the inside of a Goldwing fairing (out of sight, out of mind) but I have never tried this. It needs to be near the front of the bike, facing forward and up (same position as if it were on your windshield) to work best.

The other kind of pass is the passive pass - it works like an RFID token. It usually looks like a thin sticker. It does not have a battery or receiver, instead it has a coil of wire built into the sticker. An example of this is the TxTag:

For these tags, a relatively high-energy RF pulse is emitted by the toll booth, which induces a current in the coil inside the tag. The tag uses this current to transmit a response containing its unique ID.

I do not have experience with these types of tags, so I can't say how they work on motorcycles, or what type of placement works best.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:43 am

WingAdmin wrote:The other kind of pass is the passive pass - it works like an RFID token. It usually looks like a thin sticker. It does not have a battery or receiver, instead it has a coil of wire built into the sticker.
For these tags, a relatively high-energy RF pulse is emitted by the toll booth, which induces a current in the coil inside the tag. The tag uses this current to transmit a response containing its unique ID. I do not have experience with these types of tags, so I can't say how they work on motorcycles, or what type of placement works best.

This is the type that I have and it must be installed on the windshield in order for the RFID to be read by the scanner. Each vehicle must have it's own tag (so can't move it to another vehicle). The tags are free and all tied to one account. Currently Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana have partnerships to use the same ones.

There are really very few "toll booths" as most are readers mounted on a bar above the roadway that capture the signal as you are going close to 70 mph on the roadway.
I forgot to mention that there are also cameras at each toll passage that capture an image of the back plate for each vehicle as the tag is read.
If you don't have a tag, your plate is cross referenced and a bill for the toll is sent (at a higher rate), so nobody misses out.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:03 pm

I live in Plano and have the passive RF device stuck on the windshield of my GL1800 and it works perfectly. Although the tag works great, I have found ways of avoiding the charges that you might want to know.

Here in Texas there are 2 systems that are working together to read your sticker, there is an RFID scanner (Mounted overhead) that reads the sticker stuck on your windshield and there are 3 inductive loops mounted in the road which sense when a vehicle passes over the top and triggers the RFID to reader to read your sticker. If you look at the road as you approach the toll station, you will normally see tar seals in a square shape in the middle of the lane (About 3 or 4 feet per side), these are the induction loops. If you can safely ride outside of the squares but staying in your lane the system will not trigger and the RFID reader will not register your bike so no charge!! You use the tollways at No charge and you have done nothing illegal!! Just used the full lane to your benefit!!

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:10 pm

Here's the EZ-Pass tag on my GL1500.

EZ-Pass tag on GL1500
EZ-Pass tag on GL1500

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:41 pm

As noted above there is no one pass that is accepted everywhere. This is most unfortunate as it would really simplify as toll roads seem to be coming back.

I do travel the north east coast corridor and use the EZ pass. It definitely speeds up my travel. Yes you do have to commit a credit card or cash in advance to your account. And as I recall the EZ pass costs a $1.00 per month whether you use it or not. Living in VA, it is accepted on both toll roads near me. But it is no good in Florida, yet!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:45 pm

harvey01 wrote:As noted above there is no one pass that is accepted everywhere. This is most unfortunate as it would really simplify as toll roads seem to be coming back.

I do travel the north east coast corridor and use the EZ pass. It definitely speeds up my travel. Yes you do have to commit a credit card or cash in advance to your account. And as I recall the EZ pass costs a $1.00 per month whether you use it or not. Living in VA, it is accepted on both toll roads near me. But it is no good in Florida, yet!

I have had an EZ Pass for many years, I got it to travel the NY State Thruway and avoid long toll booth lines - this is back when it was not being used in many states. It's since grown and you can get it in many states (including my own Ohio), however I still have my New York based EZ Pass. It is also good for paying the toll going over the bridge into Canada at various border crossings, which is nice - it lets you skip what is sometimes a long line.

They do not charge me a monthly fee, and I have three tags (one motorcycle, two cars).

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:59 pm

My understanding that there is a newer toll pass that originated in the NE called Bestpass, their goal is to have all 48 states tollway systems using this one pass transponder, yes they are like everyone else and you have to put a card on your account for auto refill. bestpass.com :D :D

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:33 am

It appears from bestpass.com website that this is something set up primarily for truckers. I would not want to have it pay for an 18 wheeler when I am on a motorcycle.

But this is a great idea and I hope an indicator of what is coming. A nation wide pass would be wonderful for those that tour.

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “Goldwing Chat”