Etiquette

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Etiquette

Postby Old Fogey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 pm

I feel this is something that has to be said.

Many posts have folk asking a question, getting others answering (sometimes having spent considerable time doing research on it) and then the post just goes dead. No feedback on whether the help was correct and often no note of appreciation or thanks.

Guys, it takes less time to say, 'thanks boys, that worked' than it did to post your original question. Just simple courtesy in my view.

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Re: Etiquette

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:29 am

While I do agree, sometimes no news is good news. If the advice was BAD, Im sure theyd come back and say something.
As a newbie, I learn quite abit from reading posts of issues/fixes. It would be nice to not hit those dead ends. But it happens. Courtesy is sort of rare anymore.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm in agreement as well. One thing I hate more than someone not replying whether the issue is fixed are those that only have 1 post (the question) and never come back again.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:07 pm

I agree come back and say something

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:58 pm

+1
Preferably with pictures. We love pictures!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 pm

It is an unfortunate fact that many folks will join this type of forum, ask the one question they have and get answers or in some cases get answers that require more work on their part so they just move on! Yes it is rude and inconsiderate, but that is life in this century!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:22 pm

I guess another thing that bothers me while we are on the subject is people that never contribute anything to the conversations.
Just looked and right now there are 55 people online, 14 members and 41 guests.
Looked at another forum I frequent and there are 631 members and 32,573 guests.

There have been a couple of posts that have brought people out of the woodwork (like the contest for the free shift pivot brace), but also have never been heard from again.
Think of all of the knowledge that we're giving away for free and the answers to question that go unanswered. :D

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:46 pm

I do alot of sandbagging myself. If I know I have no good input on a particular issue, I wont get in the way with some BS insertion. Maybe theres a LOT of people that just dont know anything? Lol.

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:47 pm

Not everyone fells they want to get involved with what goes on around them or perhaps they are not confident enough with themselves to share their knowledge. There are few leaders in this world and many followers. Feel flattered that you can consider yourself a contributor not a sideliner. Life is aggravating enough with major problems, being aggravated because the majority are guests,shouldn't be of any consideration and certainly not worth getting aggravated over. Ride often and ride safe. :D :D

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:55 pm

For sure, many members and guests will wish to stay quiet, for their own reasons. They are certainly not the ones that I had taken aim at in any way in that post.

Well, It seems I have opened a whole can of worms here. I have a thick skin (goes along with my thick head :D ) so I'm going to mention this too.
To be honest, the one's that really get to me as well are the guys that come on and ask the same question that has been asked a million times before, having not thought one bit of doing any research of their own.

My father used to call this kind of asking questions 'looking with their mouth'.

Again guys, in this day and age of Google,other search engines, Wikipedia and the various forums etc, please do at least make some effort of your own to answer your questions. Get a workshop manual and at least read it before involving others.
I say this for another very good reason. Any research that YOU do, and answers that YOU find for yourself, will stick in your mind far longer than any flip question on a forum.

ok, I'm standing by with my hands over my ears...............
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:14 pm

Just turn down your hearing aid. :lol: :lol: :lol: . Well put

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:54 pm

I have to agree with the OP (and others), and it's an issue I have mentioned before.

What I've seen is that sometimes, if you do a search regarding your specific problem, you'll find several previous threads by people who had precisely the same issue. Inevitably, lots of good suggestions were offered to fix the problem, but the person who posted their query never reported back with the results. Then, you're forced to post the same query, again, in the hopes that someone, somewhere, has reported back with the actual fix for the issue. Often, that's not the case, and the process starts anew.

People here know I tend to be verbose and for that I apologize, but I for one would rather have too much information than too little.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Mh434 wrote: I for one would rather have too much information than too little.

Impossible! You can't have too much information. :)
Image Image

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:54 pm

I agree 100% on what Old Fogey says about those who never return. I have another pet peeve that fits into this category. Sometimes the new guy with a question goes away mad or embarrassed because his question is answered with: Why would you want to do that? Or in a round about way: What a stupid question. Last but not least he is told to do his own research. I am of the opinion that this and other forums are in existence so we all (including newbies) can get our questions answered here on the forum and those that have experienced same said problems can offer their assistance here on the forum. Where would the forums be if no one contributed anything except for referencing a How To. Come on guys get real.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:24 pm

i agree totally with Old Fogey on this. also the previous post makes some excellent points. the thing that really gets me going tho, is when some poor mongrel asks a legit question and is given a totally wrong answer. nothing is worse than the wrong info, even no info. and some of the myths surrounding these old machines are some how becoming accepted as facts.
there is lots of good info out there, and newcomers to these old Hondas don't need to be confused.
i don't see it here much , but you don't have to look too far , to see newbies put down, and messed about by people who should be helping. :D

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:57 pm

I work on the principal of: "There are no dumb questions, just dumb mistakes from not asking!"

Sometimes, if I see a question that has been laying around for a while with no answer, I will try to revive the question. There is nothing worse than asking a question and not getting a response. Yes, some of the questions may have been answered by a bit of own-research, but I would prefer that they ask the question. However, I dislike the people who ask the question in a number of forums. And, I particularly dislike people who do not acknowledge the answer (whether correct or not), never to be heard from again.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:13 am

redial wrote:However, I dislike the people who ask the question in a number of forums.

I forgot about that pet peeve.
Einstein said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results."
The same thing could be said about asking the same question more than once.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:17 am

That some folk do that doesn't surprise me. After all, there are different 'founts of knowledge' on the various forums. For instance, my friend Doug (Cyborg) is never on any other forum than NGW.
Time scale also comes into it. It would be best if the question was asked on one, and then if there was no answer forthcoming, go to another. But that may take more time than someone has, so it's understandable for that person to ask on all the different forums at the same time. Annoying maybe, but quite within reason.
Image Image

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:13 pm

Fairly new here... and I may be guilty of not saying thanks... Let me start right off by saying I am extremely thankful for the advice or help I get but being the Internet and the nature of a forum sometimes I want to leave the topic open. Could others have this in mind without any rude intentions? It appears that if there is a small amount of posts and then the OP says done, fixed, thanks- then the topic gets written off... I sort of like seeing more discussion and ideas or techniques expressed. Plus the bigger the post grows then the more it seems that others had or shared your same experience or problem. When I browse posts, I do look at the dates to see if it is current or relevant... When I post info, I don't look for thanks... To me this is like a big pot of homemade soup. We all toss in an ingredient or two and we all eat some of the finished soup...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

NVSB4
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Old Fogey wrote:For instance, my friend Doug (Cyborg) is never on any other forum than NGW. It would be best if the question was asked on one, and then if there was no answer forthcoming, go to another.

I can understand asking on different sites. :mrgreen:
I was referring to posting to the same site in different forums. For example posting the same question in Tech Talk, Goldwing Chat and GL1500.

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:48 pm

flogger wrote:Fairly new here... and I may be guilty of not saying thanks... Let me start right off by saying I am extremely thankful for the advice or help I get but being the Internet and the nature of a forum sometimes I want to leave the topic open. Could others have this in mind without any rude intentions? It appears that if there is a small amount of posts and then the OP says done, fixed, thanks- then the topic gets written off... I sort of like seeing more discussion and ideas or techniques expressed. Plus the bigger the post grows then the more it seems that others had or shared your same experience or problem. When I browse posts, I do look at the dates to see if it is current or relevant... When I post info, I don't look for thanks... To me this is like a big pot of homemade soup. We all toss in an ingredient or two and we all eat some of the finished soup...

Well, perhaps my first post was wrong in that I don't necessarily mean that anyone is looking for thanks; after all the response could equally be "you're an a**hole, that just made it worse!" :? .
But at least that would be feedback that could lead the post to a decent conclusion, eventually. It's the posts that just leave a deafening silence so that folk, especially new members, have no idea whether the advice given was meaningful, useful, correct or not. Those posts are the ones that really annoy me.
Image Image

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Having been on here for a few years now but not having much in the way of mechanical experience , any thing I have done/had done to my wing I have posted . I like to help others on here as much as they have helped me. Sometimes I post what I have done (with photos , as we all like photos) mainly small stuff as there's no way I can do something like an engine rebuild. But every little helps someone else as it has helped me .And im am grateful for all the help I receive. After all this is the best goldwing site bar none .

Joe in SD
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE 2007 Shadow Spirit 750

Postby Joe in SD » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Having just purchased my GL1500 recently, I really don't have much input. Just lurking and picking up a lot of info. It would be nice to know the outcome of a post, especially if more than one fix is posted. I really enjoy this forum because of all the responces. Keep it up fellas. Joe

H20loo
Motorcycle: 99 gl se

Postby H20loo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:33 am

X2 Joe!

20 characters

Return to “Goldwing Chat”