Gps

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hebert3007
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 se goldwing

Gps

Postby hebert3007 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:26 am

What to by? Witch is the best? So many out thare

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: Gps

Postby harvey01 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:17 am

A gps is not something you have to have to travel wherever you want to go. Maps still work very well.

A GPS does make it easy to find a specific location or address. If you have the money to buy one then you sort of have to determine the features you rally want and get a unit that fits the bill. Do you need Bluetooth to transmit directions from the unit to your wireless headset, do you want XM/Sirus radio as part of the unit, how much detail do you need( do you need a unit to tell you to get into the left lane to make a left turn), what size screen, how do you plan to mount the unit, will you power the unit from the bike or with batteries, do you want a unit that can be easily moved to another bike or other vehicle, do you want a unit made specifically for a motorcycle or will anything do, and I am sure the list of options continues?

I have a Garmin Zumo 660 and like it, I have heard great things about the Garmin Zumo 590. Garmin makes several units specifically for motorcycles. TomTom does also and has some nice units. There are a lot of choices, but I still prefer old fashioned maps.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

hebert3007
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 se goldwing

Postby hebert3007 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:55 am

Thank you,there is no short Answer would like to now what others are using . Is there more on this in the forum?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:12 pm

I have been using a non-motorcycle-specific, regular automotive type TomTom Go 720 on my bike for many years. It's been through torrential downpours, and despite not being waterproof, continues to work just great. I think it was around $100 when I got it from a seller on eBay.

I've also got a Glare Stomper GPS shield installed on it, which makes a huge difference in being able to see it in bright sunlight.

TomTom mounted with Glare Stomper
TomTom mounted with Glare Stomper

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:24 pm

There are many great manufacturers in the marketplace. I use a Garmin Zumo 550 on the bike. Actually a little more than a bike needs. I use 3 other Garmin units in my autos. All a matter of preference and pricing.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:06 am

Garmin Zumo GPS units are made just for motorcycles. If you want the best with the most features, get one of these. The Zumo 590 is getting to a better price point if you shop around. That was, as far as I know, the latest design. As WingAdmin mentioned, a cheap TomTom serves the purpose, and has most functions that I use. If I had unlimited money, I might buy a Zumo 590, but as I also have a TomTom ElCheapo, I use it, in conjunction with the useless one that came installed in the bike.

Note: I do like Garmin GPS units in the larger sizes. I have a 7" display model that I use in my truck. It is designed for long haul trucking, and gives the option of not routing down roads that would be difficult for a large truck or tourist with vehicle and towed travel trailer. I find that very handy. Garmin makes "purposed" GPS units like this one and the Zumo, and they do have specific functions that only they have. I have had Magellan units, and I find they corrupt almost immediately after warranty runs out. Magellan made really good suitcase sized units back in the early 70's that were great for mobile army units, but I don't like their newer stuff at all.
Last edited by themainviking on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:35 am

I've got a Garmin Zumo 550 with XM radio on my bike. It's an old one that Garmin has discontinued. As far as I can tell they don't make one that is XM compatible any more, so I'm hoping that this one will keep working for a long time.

One of the things that I like about the add-on GPS systems is that I can move it to my car when necessary. You might want to look for one that has an additional car mount that will allow you to do that.

Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”