Chinese WinGovations

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Chinese WinGovations

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:10 am

I have had an email this morning from someone in China who is threatening to register these Chinese domain names:

"wingovations.cn" "wingovations.com.cn" "wingovations.net.cn" "wingovations.org.cn"

I have replied to them and to their legal representative in no uncertain terms that this is an unethical and aggressive move on their part. I will obviously be seeking legal advice on this too.

The Goldwing fraternity is not stupid, I know, and seeing the .cn on the address will raise a red flag.

I guess their own name is either not good enough or they have generated business problems so that they have to steal someone elses good name.
Their legal advisor has already told them that this is not a good move, but should they go ahead and get approval in spite of whatever I can do, please keep in mind that this is not me.

Unfortunately, there will always be some owners that will not see these warnings, so I hope all of you will make sure that anyone in your circles gets told of this.

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Chinese WinGovations

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 am

There are so many (hundreds and hundreds) of top-level domains now, there's no way you can possibly afford to register them all. You could have people register wingovations.info, wingovations.tv, wingovations.xxx - the best you can do is to ignore these extortionists, and just make your site the best it can be.

If they start contacting people claiming to be you, and directing them to their site, that's something different entirely. But unless you have a large customer base in China, any sites set up on those domains will never see the light of day on western-based search engines.

My experience is that these types of extortion emails are just "feelers" - they have no intention of doing anything with the domains, and in most cases won't register or do anything with them - all they want is for you to pay them for the domains. If you don't, they move onto the next potential victim.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:32 am

Yes, you are probably right, but the email got my hackles up!

There's always someone trying to take advantage of someone else it seems. But it ain't gonna be me, I assure you!
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:42 am

The Goldwing fraternity is not stupid, I know, and seeing the .cn on the address will raise a red flag.

This one perhaps?

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never thought of that! Good One!!!!!!!!!!
Image Image

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:52 am

Old Fogey wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never thought of that! Good One!!!!!!!!!!

ONE BETTER... ..
Let them know you're CONSIDERING using this flag...

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:29 am

The Chinese believe that red is a lucky colour. But they do not like green (actually, I believe, that there is no word for green in Mandarin!), and yellow is the Imperial colour that was usually reserved for the former emperors. So that may give you a few further alternatives.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:39 am

The Chinese believe that red is a lucky colour.

It wasn't a very lucky colour for the 15 million or so poor souls who died in the Great Famine which resulted from Mao Tse Tung's (or whatever they call him now) "Great Leap Forward".
The game's afoot;

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:15 am

I had another letter, purporting to be from their legal entity. Basically, as has been pointed out, they are looking for me to buy these domains. No, thank you very much but since I already own .com, .org, .org.uk, .co.uk, I really don't think I need any more.

At this point I'm just going to ignore them and see where that goes. Since I have shipped almost nothing to Asian countries over the past 6 years, I doubt it will matter very much if they do register those domains.
Image Image

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:57 am

Just looked up your .co.uk site. Are you going to consider including gl1500 stuff in there? Given that the youngest gl1500 (mine) is now 15 years old, surely these will soon start to qualify as "golden oldies".
The game's afoot;

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:10 am

I have to admit to having zero knowledge of the sixes.
I guess as time goes on and the fours become more and more scarce, I will need to start looking into them, if I'm still around by that time.
That may be some time off, as I am still finding new stuff needed for the ones I do cater for. Right now, I'm looking into the alternator shock absorber rubbers for the 1000/1100s. These have not been available for some time and I was very lucky to have found enough to do my engine way back in 2009.
http://www.wingovations.com/alternator- ... 4579471110

Image Image

Return to “Goldwing Chat”