I need to....

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

I need to....

Postby Sally » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:27 pm

I need to blow off some steam Sorry. But today I seen in the news starbucks used RED cups for Chirstmas. Really is this news ? how cares? We have rapest perverts murders drug dealers running all over. We have people homeless starving dying people. Herion easier to get then getting a ride to work. And were worried about the color of a coffee cup. What a sad state of America. Sally

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: I need to....

Postby dingdong » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 am

PCness at work! Personally I don't care one way or the other. I have never been to a Starbucks and never will. I also wonder about people who are willing to pay almost as much for a cup as I pay for a pound of ground coffee. The controversy is not just because they used a red cup it's about what they removed from the red cup so as not to offend. It's funny to me how the attempt to be PC usually works out the opposite as intended. Anyway red has always been a traditional Christmas color. 8-) Works for me.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:52 pm

Personally, I love Starbucks coffee (I'm drinking one right now). It's the best-tasting coffee I've found (I buy Starbucks beans in bulk from Costco, usually about 12 pounds per Costco visit - we have a 1950's commercial grinder at home!), and I've been an avid coffee drinker for 50 years. I should mention that, buying Starbucks this way, the cost is less than for grocery-store house-brand coffee. My wife used to sell commodity coffee to grocery stores & coffee outlets - after seeing what other companies sell, I'll stick to Starbucks. BTW, the bulk Starbucks at Costco (at least, in Canada) is 100% "Fair Trade".

I am, however, about as far away from a left-wing urbanite yuppie as it's possible to get. I am distinctly Conservative, a firearms owner & collector, and DETEST political correctness.

The left-wing, Liberal view is that it's far better to inconvenience the vast majority than to risk that one person, somewhere, sometime, might take offense to something drives me nuts. It's no wonder that international companies like Starbucks are forced to view everything through the "PC lens" if they wish to stay in business.

We even had one of our cities forced to stop having Christmas banners on their city buses, because someone (apparently, of another, middle-eastern faith) claimed they were offended by any mention of "Christmas". In Toronto ( center of left-wing thought in Canada), a choral group was just denied their application to sing carols in a city square over Christmas, as their list of songs included some featuring the word "God", and the organized singing of Christian songs is prohibited in Toronto (other faith songs are okay, though).

Our forefathers are, I'm sure, rolling over in their graves...

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Our forefathers are, I'm sure, rolling over in their graves...

Probably, though not all. The Puritans (Mayflower, Founding Fathers etc) weren't much into Christmas fun.

Towards the end of the Civil War in England, the celebration of Christmas (and indeed all other religious festivals) was banned. This lasted for about 20 years until the Restoration of the monarchy. There was so much relief, the populace dug up the body of Oliver Cromwell, the deceased Puritan leader and hanged him, just to make sure he was dead.

I have taken a few liberties with history here, a bit like Hollywood.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Yeah, I get that. It's the loss of individual freedoms that bothers me the most. I'm not a religious person myself, and I never have been, but to constrain the majority on the off chance that one, single person might, possibly, be offended by the majority's beliefs is just wrong, IMHO...and PC does precisely that.

Here, we're about to have Remembrance Day, and to see what's become of the country our grandfathers fought & died for seems shameful.

Sorry - I seem to have entered "rant-mode" here! It's funny - it's been said that in our youth, we're Liberal, and as we get older & wiser, we become conservative. I guess I typify that, don't I? :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”