Don't run your bike in the winter

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Don't run your bike in the winter

Postby CWJ73 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:57 am

While prepping for the last ride of the season, and getting my bike ready for winter, I took advantage of some great backlighting to show why we should never run our bikes in the winter. Unless of course you winter is not a real winter...

[youtube]

[/YouTube]

As you can see from the video the exhaust is full of water condensation. If you run your bike in the winter this condensation will end up in your crank case and inside your exhaust pipes and muffler. Over time this moisture will begin to rust your engine and pipes from the inside out. Everything will look fine until the rust finally works its way to the outside, and at that point your bike is basically screwed and beyond repair. Just for a test on this day I ran my bike at idle to see how long it would take to heat the engine up enough to burn all the condensation out. It was 6degC out. After 45min I gave up and went for my ride. Not until I was actually riding did the bike finally warm up to operating temp.

I have heard many arguments in favour of running a bike; changing the battery; keeping the oil flowing; i just like too; etc. They are all hog wash.

Want to keep your bater charged? Use a battery tender
Want to keep the oil flowing? Don't bother, it is like molasses in the winter
You just like to hear the sound? Take out your phone and record your bike in the summer and play that in the winter.

Out of respect to your bike and your bike's future owner, don't run your bike in the winter. You are just wrecking it.

Craig

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Don't run your bike in the winter

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:01 am

Excellent post. I should point out that you mean "don't start and just idle the bike during the winter" - because it doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the moisture, just as you mentioned.

This doesn't mean "don't go out and ride your bike" - if the road conditions (and weather) permits, this is fine - but it's a good idea to run the bike hard, or ride for a good 30-45 minutes to make sure it's hot enough to evaporate the moisture. Particularly on the ride that ends up with you at home. You want that moisture gone before you park the bike.

CWJ73
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Previous
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1999 Suzuki SV650S (sold)
1982 GL1100I Interstate (sold)

Re: Don't run your bike in the winter

Postby CWJ73 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:26 am

WingAdmin wrote:Excellent post. I should point out that you mean "don't start and just idle the bike during the winter" - because it doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the moisture, just as you mentioned.

This doesn't mean "don't go out and ride your bike" - if the road conditions (and weather) permits, this is fine - but it's a good idea to run the bike hard, or ride for a good 30-45 minutes to make sure it's hot enough to evaporate the moisture. Particularly on the ride that ends up with you at home. You want that moisture gone before you park the bike.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. :D
Craig

Return to “Goldwing Chat”