Rescue Plus Ad in GWRRA Wing World Magazine

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Rescue Plus Ad in GWRRA Wing World Magazine

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:03 am

I wonder if I'm the only one really bothered by this ad for Rescue Plus, seen every month in the GWRRA Wing World magazine:

Rescue Plus Ad
Rescue Plus Ad

This ad shows a picture of a GL1800 strapped down to a flatbed truck. However, the way it is strapped down is 100% absolutely wrong, and is sure to seriously damage the bike. If I had a flatbed truck operator come and attempt to strap my bike down like this, I would be screaming bloody murder. And this is the advertisement for the people who want you to buy this service!!

Not to mention, GWRRA itself has for many years given the proper instructions on how to strap a bike down for transport in the back of its very own Gold Book!

Let's see what's wrong with the picture above. There is an orange strap around the rear wheel, securing it to the back of the flatbed. At the same time, there is a trolley at the front, and the front wheel is strapped to this trolley. The trolley is chained to the WINCH of the flatbed, and it is then winched forward, ostensibly to secure the bike from moving forward or backward.

Wrong, wrong wrong!! This puts incredible longitudinal pressure on the front forks, pressure that they were never designed to handle. The operator is basically using the incredible power of the winch to pull the wheels apart. This will bind up the front forks, so every time the truck hits a bump, if the forks can actually move at all, there will be incredible wearing force put on the bushings. You'll be lucky to come away with no damage after a trip like this.

Then there's the stabilizing straps, which should be hooked on each side to the FRAME and to the SUBFRAME of the bike. Instead, the tow operator has just thrown a couple straps over the SEAT, and put a towel there before strapping them down, as if that will keep the seat from being damaged. The expectation that this will also keep the bike from falling over should the truck have to swerve is also completely wrong. The operator is hoping that mere friction of the straps against the towel is enough to keep an 800+ lb bike from falling over should he swerve his truck. Any kind of hard turn or swerve made by the truck driver is going to cause this bike to fall over.

Basically, this picture is a lesson in how NOT to tie down a Goldwing for transport.

If you want to see the correct method to tie down your bike for transport (as promoted in GWRRA's own Gold Book) have a look at How to tie down Goldwings for transport.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Rescue Plus Ad in GWRRA Wing World Magazine

Postby urbanmadness » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm gonna add my 2 cents in on this one.

As someone who does regularly put bikes up on a rollback tow truck, By the way, WE ALWAYS USE TWO PEOPLE TO STRAP DOWN A BIKE.

Here is how we do it on the flatbed tow truck or trailer. We have a special strap (called a sport bike strap) we put over the handlebars. It's basically a strap with two short sleeves that go over the ends of the handlebars. We put the front wheel up against the headache rack. We use blocks if needed to make sure the front fender is clear of the rack. We then use RATCHET STRAPS, to secure a motorcycle, on the sport bike strap. One per side and tighten them down, alternating between the two until we deflect the suspension down about half way. Then we put two straps (if the bike has a alloy rear wheel) thru the rear wheel and then tighten it down. This keeps the rear wheel down on the deck of the truck and keeps it from moving. The main thing here is, you do not want the bike to move, at all. The sport bike strap is really a great tool and really helps keep the bike in place without damaging anything. We use them on everything from scooters to Goldwings.

If you are going a long distance, you need to stop every few hours and check the load. Make sure everything is still tight. (yes truck drivers even do this with their loads)

Things NOT to do:

Never use a winch as a securing point. (you shouldn't even use the winch with a motorcycle)
Never use a "friction" type strap, use ratchet straps
Never Leave the kick stand or center stands down after securing the bike

Things TO DO:

Always check the load TWICE
Get a helper if you can
Put the bike in gear

If you transport bikes often, get a sport bike strap, you will love it

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:21 pm

WingAdmin. You should send your comments directly to GWRRA. Be interesting to see how they react.

I've sent them comments before concerning pictures of people on bikes without the proper gear. Yet they supposedly promote safety. don't recall if or what the response from them was.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:58 am

urbanmadness wrote:... We have a special strap (called a sport bike strap) we put over the handlebars. It's basically a strap with two short sleeves that go over the ends of the handlebars. ...

You strap down the handlebars? Shouldn't you strap down the fork's lower triple tree?
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:22 am

Never by the handle bars, soft ties through the lower triple tree plate
Never in gear

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:26 pm

MikeB wrote:
urbanmadness wrote:... We have a special strap (called a sport bike strap) we put over the handlebars. It's basically a strap with two short sleeves that go over the ends of the handlebars. ...

You strap down the handlebars? Shouldn't you strap down the fork's lower triple tree?

Correct. The handlebars are NOT meant to take this kind of load, especially the GL1800's extruded aluminum handlebars! If I saw someone strapping my bike down by the handlebars I would stop them right away. It should be strapped to the triple tree.

I think they may use the handlebars because it's quick and easy and takes little time compared to strapping it down properly to the frame or triple tree.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:26 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:Never by the handle bars, soft ties through the lower triple tree plate
Never in gear

When travelling I carry a set of soft ties with me - just in case. Seems dumb but you have to be prepared for just about everything these days.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Stu_O
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000LTD

Postby Stu_O » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:49 pm

cbx4evr wrote:WingAdmin. You should send your comments directly to GWRRA. Be interesting to see how they react.

I've sent them comments before concerning pictures of people on bikes without the proper gear. Yet they supposedly promote safety. don't recall if or what the response from them was.
Mind if I chime in? Criticism for the sake of criticism isn't very productive, especially not without offering solutions...to the person being criticized, not just to The Great Unwashed of the Internet. So I agree, productive comments sent to the GWRRA head offices would be a great way to help them and their readers (which includes a lot of you) out. And for those who know me and think this is sour grapes, be advised I haven't been an employee of that organization since 2003. I'm only a freelance contract journalist, so no dog in the hunt.

When the GL1800 preview article appeared in late 2000, I was an employee. The photographer shot me and my wife riding a tight right hand turn. She stood on the outside of the turn and insisted (against my advice) my wife look left...directly at the camera lens. I knew what was coming. Well, you never heard such an uproar from the Twisted Shorts crowd about how ignorant I was to not instruct my wife to look through the turn. Hey - at least they had the courtesy to attack me directly. Then there was the article on a restored, naked GL1000 that I rode with my wife. We got hundreds of letters from "outraged" wives about my lack of concern for my wife's safety...no trunk or backrest to prevent her from falling off the back fender. Seriously! I mean, it never ends. Constructive criticism given privately is great, but everybody these days seems to want to elevate themselves by tearing someone else down publicly. That only makes a person look small and mean-spirited.

In the case of the Rescue Plus ad, there are two issues to consider. The first being that this is a stock photo provided by a towing company, not one setup and shot by a GW photog. The second thing is that the folks who work at GW now depended on the towing company for the photo, and my hunch is that no one in the Ad Department actually knows the correct way to tie down a Wing...or anything else about any motorcycle. Of course, you all are correct. This photo reflects a foolish way to tie down that bike. It would likely result in damage, and publishing it might imply defacto approval of the method by the publisher. I'll be happy to pass on your concerns. I'll also mention the photos in other ads showing folks riding with do-rags and flip flops, because I know that everyone here rides with ATGATT, so those photos are offensive to you. ;>) Just don't send hate mail if you buy some of those Male Performance Pills and your **** doesn't get any longer. Caveat emptor! Have a great day.

Stu O

AzBowman
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Candy Wineberry Red

Postby AzBowman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:01 pm

Bravo Stu,
I couldn't have said it better myself.
1986 GL1200 Interstate Candy Winberry Red 113k and still purring. I call her Solo if you wonder why just ask I'm happy to tell.
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner S newest addition to the family.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Stu_O wrote:In the case of the Rescue Plus ad, there are two issues to consider. The first being that this is a stock photo provided by a towing company, not one setup and shot by a GW photog. The second thing is that the folks who work at GW now depended on the towing company for the photo, and my hunch is that no one in the Ad Department actually knows the correct way to tie down a Wing...or anything else about any motorcycle. Of course, you all are correct. This photo reflects a foolish way to tie down that bike. It would likely result in damage, and publishing it might imply defacto approval of the method by the publisher. I'll be happy to pass on your concerns. I'll also mention the photos in other ads showing folks riding with do-rags and flip flops, because I know that everyone here rides with ATGATT, so those photos are offensive to you. ;>) Just don't send hate mail if you buy some of those Male Performance Pills and your **** doesn't get any longer. Caveat emptor! Have a great day.Stu O

Excellent Stu! I'm sitting here at work covering my face as I read this in fear someone may wonder why I'm laughing at my screen.

I was going to make a comment, but you've already covered everything I could have said.

Incidentally, I did send off a comment to GWRRA when I first posted this, including a link to this very topic. I never received a reply.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”