New Info on Ethanol Blending

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
pixel288
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1982 GS400E Suzuki
2009 CBR 125R HRC colors (daughter's bike)
1982 GL1100 Interstate

New Info on Ethanol Blending

Postby pixel288 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Y'all ain't gonna like this one... I work with a fellow who installs gas pumps on new and refit gas stations. I asked him if all the pumps were busy, and I pulled in to get a tank of fuel, if I chose a mid-grade, (89 octane) and everybody else was pumping regular (87 octane) would I get a 'richer' mixture because the other pumps were pulling down the pressure of the cheap stuff?
His answer astounded me. First off, the pumps are pressure balanced, so it wouldn't be faster, nor would I get a richer blend of super to regular (for cheaper, because that's the way I am! :ugeek: ) BUT (and here is the kicker) Shell here in Canada mixes 70% regular to 30% super! :evil: :evil: :evil:
So just when you think you have this deal figured out.... along comes some new info that kicks what we think we know right in the teeth! :o
He will also look into what Esso and Petro-can are doing for their blends for me... he thinks some are 60/40, and is not sure about a 50/50; if it even exists. He will update me when he knows more.... therefore I will update you more when I get told. Also, i think it was Solina Dave who mentioned in another thread that he had found out that Petro-can has ethanol in all their blends, even the 94. This guy confirmed that fact. Only the 3 fuel Petro-can stations have the super (91) that has no ethanol.... a 4 fuel station definitely has ethanol in ALL blends.
Sheesh. I'm really getting to hate knowing all this. It seems that we are destined to be screwed by big oil deeper and deeper, with no end in sight.

Phil

Disclaimer: this is only for Canadian gas stations in Ontario. I have no knowledge of the practices in other provinces, or in the US. So don't take what I say as universal.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: New Info on Ethanol Blending

Postby Mh434 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:59 pm

I've had problems with Shell gas in Canada for years - been broken down every, single time I've been forced to buy Shell (low on gas, only station for miles, etc.) for a bike. Each and every time, draining the tank has revealed at least 1-2 liters of dirty, scummy water in the tank. I know that Shell adds alcohol here, and alcohol loves water. I don't know if that's the connection, or if they just don't filter their fuel properly, but it's a constant issue. We even had to drain & discard 130 liters of 'fresh' Shell fuel from our motorhome a year ago - same issue. LOTS of muddy water. Having to do all that work is bad enough, but paying $5 per gallon for dirty water is adding insult to injury.

As a rule, I stick to Chevron. They tell me they add NO alcohol (at least, here they don't), and over the years I've never yet had bad gas from Chevron.

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Mh434 wrote:I've had problems with Shell gas in Canada for years - been broken down every, single time I've been forced to buy Shell (low on gas, only station for miles, etc.) for a bike. Each and every time, draining the tank has revealed at least 1-2 liters of dirty, scummy water in the tank. I know that Shell adds alcohol here, and alcohol loves water. I don't know if that's the connection, or if they just don't filter their fuel properly, but it's a constant issue. We even had to drain & discard 130 liters of 'fresh' Shell fuel from our motorhome a year ago - same issue. LOTS of muddy water. Having to do all that work is bad enough, but paying $5 per gallon for dirty water is adding insult to injury.

As a rule, I stick to Chevron. They tell me they add NO alcohol (at least, here they don't), and over the years I've never yet had bad gas from Chevron.

When I lived in Florida, Chevron was the ONLY gas I trusted. Here in Iowa, almost every station has non-alky 87 octane. That's all I use.

pixel288
1982 GS400E Suzuki
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby pixel288 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:20 pm

If you encounter or suspect water in your tank: Go back to the station and force them to dip the tank with some Gasoila on the stick. They will be willing to do this for you if they think there is no water in the tank. This will show the presence of any water, and exactly how deep it is. It is a sticky substance that is spread thinly on the first 12'' or so of the dip stick. If there is ANY water, this stuff changes color. If there IS the presence of water, they have to shut down and have the tanks pumped dry. Then you can get your issue dealt with as well as you will have proof. I'd even video the process of dosing the stick and looking at it as it comes back up. That way you have actual evidence.
I was lucky enough to acquire a small jar of it, and I keep it with me as I travel. It will eliminate the excuse of 'we don't have any at the moment' if they want to be coy about it. So far I have not had to push for a tank dip, but I figure it's only time before I do.
If you happen to see a station where they are working on a refit, and they are just about done, getting ready to commission the pumps; chat up some of the guys who happen to be doing the actual pump work. Ask them if they have a small part jar left of gasoila. If you are lucky, they might and they might give it to you. It worked fer me! :mrgreen:

Phil

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:45 pm

In the case of Shell stations in this area, in response to complaints from me & others, they have categorically refused to acknowledge our complaints (they even refused to acknowledge I had bought their fuel, despite me holding a receipt for the purchase), refused to test the quality of their fuel, and consistently told complainants to contact their head-office lawyers. Then, they turn their backs and put you on "ignore". There have been many, many complaints (and even a lawsuit or two), but the problem continues. :evil:

pixel288
1982 GS400E Suzuki
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby pixel288 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:06 pm

Mh434 wrote:In the case of Shell stations in this area, in response to complaints from me & others, they have categorically refused to acknowledge our complaints (they even refused to acknowledge I had bought their fuel, despite me holding a receipt for the purchase), refused to test the quality of their fuel, and consistently told complainants to contact their head-office lawyers. Then, they turn their backs and put you on "ignore". There have been many, many complaints (and even a lawsuit or two), but the problem continues. :evil:

Must all be owned by one owner/company. Call TSSA or their equivalent in BC. You DO NOT say no to Technical Safety Standards Association. THEY say no to YOU! 8-) (I'll try to find out if there is someone else you can call too... It's good being in the petrochemical installation business at least part time. You meet the most USEFUL people. :ugeek: ) Also, they have to dip the tank every day! And if for some reason they don't, try to catch the truck when it pulls in... Its GOT to be dipped then! There is no excuse. Those tanks have to have a stick in them sooner or later.
Phil

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:41 am

Mh434 wrote:I've had problems with Shell gas in Canada for years - been broken down every, single time I've been forced to buy Shell

I used nothing but Esso in my Harleys, but have used only Shell in my Goldwing, and I have never had a bit of trouble. Your problems may be local, unless you have also experienced them elsewhere but your home area. I have travelled every state, but two, and every province and territory, and have never had water in the fuel of any of my vehicles. Or at least not enough water to cause a problem. As I also never allow myself to get empty, unless it is a lack of fueling stations onroute, that may be a saver for me. I treat my fuel with StaBil every fall and store the Goldwing, so that may be taking the water out, I do not know. I presume you get to ride year round, so would never have to treat your fuel. Also, as you live on an island, I would think that there is more possibility of moisture to be attracted to the ethanol in the fuel. Dunno for sure. I do know that I lived on the North end of Van Island for some three years way back, and we had to add drying compounds to the fuel in the dispensing tank to make sure we did not get water, but it rained ten months of the year there.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Return to “Goldwing Chat”