The "Dream "

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

The "Dream "

Postby crock4 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:08 am

Ok so here's the deal. I know from reading this forum that I am not the only one not entirely satisfied with the misadventure GWRRA provides for the dues we pay. Some would say it is fantastic, and to those I say carry-on. The ages, and varieties of Goldwings found here bring more to the table for the members. It is a source for a lot of us not so creative, or mechanicaly inclined folks to turn for help that is FREE. The dream is that someday Mr, and Mrs WingAdmin will tire of their 9 to 5, and start their own Goldwing organization. I would much rather spend my membership fees on things like how to seminars, rallies where the main focus is riding, instead of eating. Also a magazine more devoted to the membership than the organization, and one that doesn't start on page 15. Another thing I enjoy is the variety of Goldwings out there including the resurrected ones. Not just the newest, most expensive, most accessorized , but most reliable, and fun to ride.
So Mr WingAdmin don't think that someday you, and your sweetie are just going to fade away, and enjoy your quiet relaxing retirement years. NO, we have big plans for BOTH of you.

Bob

Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: The "Dream "

Postby CMReynolds1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:55 am

Double OORAH...................
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:01 am

So that's you told then . it will soon be the concensus of us all :-):-):-) but only if you want to

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Postby Easy rider » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:13 am

Some members are expecting Mr.WingAdmin's help in Europe as well..... :mrgreen:

Mrs. WingAdmin
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda PC800 Pacific Coast
1998 Yahama XV250 Virago

Postby Mrs. WingAdmin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:08 am

I truly look forward to it. ❤

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:50 am

Wow, you guys have some real plans for me, don't you? How fortunate I am to have my future all mapped out for me. :)

I must say I agree about the rides - I don't participate in my local GWRRA chapter's rides, as I'm used to much longer distance riding. Just when I'm getting comfortable and ready to cover some real mileage, they want to stop for ice cream (I swear some of them must have a "nearest ice cream shop" button on their GPS).

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:35 am

WingAdmin, you just have not found the right chapter. Mine has a ride every Tuesday that normally covers 250-300 miles with a lunch and a couple of other breaks. yes in the summer we may stop for ice cream on the way home in the afternoon.

Is this my favorite riding, no! My favorite is a tour going from home to somewhere that requires several overnight stays or longer. But getting the wife set for a trip, getting the time, and getting the money can be limiting on the number of trips taken in any one year.

But GWRRRA does offer a lot even to the touring rider. It has a good roadside assistance plan, assistance with route planning, and of course the Gold Book to locate member around the world if you need help. This really works, as I have been on both ends of the helping.

GWRRA offers some great training programs for riding, trailering, riding trikes, riding as a passenger, first aid, CPR, and crash scene management just to name a few. Honestly I am not aware of any other riding group that offers as much educational opportunities unless maybe BMWOA.

You have to remember that GWRRA wants it members to have fun and that involves ice cream and short rides for many.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Mrs. WingAdmin
1998 Yahama XV250 Virago

Postby Mrs. WingAdmin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:36 am

I feel uncomfortable riding closely with other motorcycles. It feels dangerous, and nerve-racking even if it's just a couple other bikes in a riding formation. All I want to do when I ride is feel FREEdom, enjoy peacefulness, and find the best roads while off getting lost in the middle of nowhere. Then when its time to go home, I just turn the gps back on toward home. I personally love to ride alone on hilly, windy, wooded streets (luckily for us, that kind of heaven is very nearby). Although having my husband behind me on his bike and chatting over the CB about stuff we see, or whatever is great too. Trying to convey a smile to each other through our fullface helmets while stopped at a red light is fun too. Not to mention that it's *great* to have him there in case of emergencies (which I may be prone to...Ha ha ha). Anyway, despite wanting to ride alone or just with my hubby, I LOVE people!!! I'm a freakin' social butterfly. So if it were that we were riding some nice road trip to come meet up and party with the load of ya for an overnight or weekend, I'm ALL ABOUT THAT! I just prefer to have *that* be the destination (and not the journey.) I say leave the motorcycle packs to the Harleys. Hondas are all about personal freedom.

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:15 am

harvey01 wrote:WingAdmin, you just have not found the right chapter. Mine has a ride every Tuesday that normally covers 250-300 miles with a lunch and a couple of other breaks. yes in the summer we may stop for ice cream on the way home in the afternoon.

Is this my favorite riding, no! My favorite is a tour going from home to somewhere that requires several overnight stays or longer. But getting the wife set for a trip, getting the time, and getting the money can be limiting on the number of trips taken in any one year.

But GWRRRA does offer a lot even to the touring rider. It has a good roadside assistance plan, assistance with route planning, and of course the Gold Book to locate member around the world if you need help. This really works, as I have been on both ends of the helping.

GWRRA offers some great training programs for riding, trailering, riding trikes, riding as a passenger, first aid, CPR, and crash scene management just to name a few. Honestly I am not aware of any other riding group that offers as much educational opportunities unless maybe BMWOA.

You have to remember that GWRRA wants it members to have fun and that involves ice cream and short rides for many.

Please don't think my rant was a complete put down of GWRRA. It is the best available NOW. I have been a member for many years, because of the good things they offer. I just feel like there are a lot of things that have been going downhill, and I know just the folks who could improve it!!!!!! Like I said, for all that are completely satisfied with them I say great. But my local chapter is a lot like WingAdmin's, and like Mrs WA, I don't feel comfortable riding in large groups. Also the magazine is mostly ad's, and promo for Wng ding for 12 months. Rescue Plus may be great, but if they tie down bikes like their ad shows I wouldn't want them touching mine. Thanks for the forum. What l was proposing is years down the road, and maybe by then GWRRA will have taken care of some of the things that néed addressing. Maybe not though so Mr and Mrs WingAdmin don't make to many plans

Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:18 am

Mrs. WingAdmin wrote:I feel uncomfortable riding closely with other motorcycles. It feels dangerous, and nerve-racking even if it's just a couple other bikes in a riding formation. All I want to do when I ride is feel FREEdom, enjoy peacefulness, and find the best roads while off getting lost in the middle of nowhere. Then when its time to go home, I just turn the gps back on toward home. I personally love to ride alone on hilly, windy, wooded streets (luckily for us, that kind of heaven is very nearby). Although having my husband behind me on his bike and chatting over the CB about stuff we see, or whatever is great too. Trying to convey a smile to each other through our fullface helmets while stopped at a red light is fun too. Not to mention that it's *great* to have him there in case of emergencies (which I may be prone to...Ha ha ha). Anyway, despite wanting to ride alone or just with my hubby, I LOVE people!!! I'm a freakin' social butterfly. So if it were that we were riding some nice road trip to come meet up and party with the load of ya for an overnight or weekend, I'm ALL ABOUT THAT! I just prefer to have *that* be the destination (and not the journey.) I say leave the motorcycle packs to the Harleys. Hondas are all about personal freedom.

I started reading this and thought; "yeah, exactly! This is what I think as well, I've never liked riding in groups (and depending on the skill and attentiveness of other riders to keep them from hitting me/crashing into me/whatever)." Reading more, I realized that this was a woman writing, and that she rides with her husband, and chats over the CB. I thought, "wow, that's just like my wife!" Then I looked to see who wrote this...and realized, "oh, it IS my wife!" :)

wing rider 2012
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level I Blue/Silver
1998 GL1500 Aspy
1985 Venture Royal 1300
1979 GL1000

Postby wing rider 2012 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:42 pm

Mrs. WingAdmin wrote:I feel uncomfortable riding closely with other motorcycles. It feels dangerous, and nerve-racking even if it's just a couple other bikes in a riding formation. All I want to do when I ride is feel FREEdom, enjoy peacefulness, and find the best roads while off getting lost in the middle of nowhere. Then when its time to go home, I just turn the gps back on toward home. I personally love to ride alone on hilly, windy, wooded streets (luckily for us, that kind of heaven is very nearby). Although having my husband behind me on his bike and chatting over the CB about stuff we see, or whatever is great too. Trying to convey a smile to each other through our fullface helmets while stopped at a red light is fun too. Not to mention that it's *great* to have him there in case of emergencies (which I may be prone to...Ha ha ha). Anyway, despite wanting to ride alone or just with my hubby, I LOVE people!!! I'm a freakin' social butterfly. So if it were that we were riding some nice road trip to come meet up and party with the load of ya for an overnight or weekend, I'm ALL ABOUT THAT! I just prefer to have *that* be the destination (and not the journey.) I say leave the motorcycle packs to the Harleys. Hondas are all about personal freedom.

I couldn't agree more, when my wife and I ride, we like to just follow the front tire down the road, where ever that takes us. There nothing like it, just you and your best friend. Here in Oregon we are blessed with some fantastic roads that seem to be made for motorcycles, every ride is a new ride even if you've been down that road many times before. Even though we are members of GWTA we do like to ride by ourselves, and while riding in a group is a pain in the *** we do it sometimes. Most of our rides are a couple 100 miles, stop for lunch, then everyone heads their own way.
Vietnam Veteran
9th ID, Jan 69 - Oct 70
Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
Member: Vietnam Veterans of America
Member: GWTA. Chapter A, Grants Pass, Oregon

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:32 pm

No need to re-state what everyone has said....my preference is definitely to have the freedom to ride where and when, and then make friends along the way. I find I do that more and more, amazing how I will pick up another bike along the way and we ride for 50-100 miles together and then part ways (waiving). I can say things, I love this site, it has allowed me to do things to my bike that I never had the gutts to do in the past. The only thing now is if I had a heated garage so I can really work on the bike in the winter time, along with getting all the crap outa the garage so I have the room. Due to changes in my future, I will probably have more time to do the playing with the bike that I have not had the last 2 years (hence why I have not been on much here, though I have been reading). So, you are all part of my group, and I am glad that Admin and Mrs Admin are my "push" in many ways, we are all a lot a like ;)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:05 pm

Mag wrote:No need to re-state what everyone has said....my preference is definitely to have the freedom to ride where and when, and then make friends along the way. I find I do that more and more, amazing how I will pick up another bike along the way and we ride for 50-100 miles together and then part ways (waiving). I can say things, I love this site, it has allowed me to do things to my bike that I never had the gutts to do in the past. The only thing now is if I had a heated garage so I can really work on the bike in the winter time, along with getting all the crap outa the garage so I have the room. Due to changes in my future, I will probably have more time to do the playing with the bike that I have not had the last 2 years (hence why I have not been on much here, though I have been reading). So, you are all part of my group, and I am glad that Admin and Mrs Admin are my "push" in many ways, we are all a lot a like ;)

That's one of the first things I did when we bought this house - I insulated the garage, then plumbed it for natural gas, and installed a heater. Nothing worse than trying to work on a bike when your fingers are numb!

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Well, I wasn't that smart.....not yet at least. The next one I will have all insulated, etc. My current one has floors cracking, etc., etc., it was just a bad job done wrong, but it will still store stuff.

Now to save up, lol.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Postby offcenter » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:16 am

Guys, I had my own dream come true this past summer.
I have always been a morning person. The best time to go for a ride is EARLY on a Saturday or Sunday morning with the sun just peeking over the horizon. There are no cars out yet and I have the road all to my self.
Unfortunately, my two favorite biking buddies, my brother and my friend Steve, are NOT morning people. By the time they get rolling it's ten or eleven AM. Damn! That's time to head home, not to be heading OUT!
Well, this summer I met a whole group of people who live only a few miles from me....AND THEY ARE ALL MORNING PEOPLE LIKE ME! We had a bunch of great rides together leaving at 7 am or even earlier and enjoying the road and each other's company. They are all safe and sane riders and like me, they just LOVE hitting the road for a breakfast somewhere far away. I still can't believe that I finally have a group like this ride with!...after all these years!
We are already planning rides for next spring! I can't wait!
Winter sucks!
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:16 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I started reading this and thought; .... "wow, that's just like my wife!"
Then I looked to see who wrote this...and realized, "oh, it IS my wife!" :)

Separate beds... separate rooms... separate kitchens.... ?
(eyes blinking rapidly..... WHAT A NIGHTMARE :twisted: )
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:38 pm

I think it would be great if there was an alternative organization out there for Goldwings. Articles and features on the older bikes. For example I have a love for the 80-83 1100's. I bet you don't see many of those at chapter meetings. I just think they were the best looking of all the Goldwings even tho I sold my 1100 when I got the 1500cc. I still have a soft spot for them. Maybe we can contribute to the newsletter. I know things get included from the forum (which is awesome BTW), but maybe have a couple of people write articles. Things like Ol Fogies (is that how it's spelled?) trick of swapping the rocker shafts if you have excessive play and can't find a replacement set. Some of these mechanics have forgotten more then I'll know about these old wings.

Admin's got a great database of vendors and The tech articles are top notch.

Mrs. WingAdmin
1998 Yahama XV250 Virago

Postby Mrs. WingAdmin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:08 pm

I think it would be wonderful for others to write the monthly articles, at least from time to time. I'm sure you all have wonderful ideas to add and share and it would be a bit different than just writing in a forum. It would certainly take a little burden off my overworked husband if you did too! Obviously it's up to him. I know he enjoys writing so I wouldn't want him to hand over something that he enjoys. He deserves work that he finds enjoyable because he works so much and so hard ALL the time. But I suspect he wouldn't be against the idea either.
Thanks for offering. I vote yes. :D

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm

the people on here could start a group kind of a loose group . you could do a lot doesn't have to be big rides . pick out a few people with time to do it if you keep it simple it wouldn't be that big of problem. if the admin. put in another heading you already have a place to settle on plans.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:19 pm

There seems to be enough input here to do an online, I assume, Wings only Magazine. Acronym, 'WoM' ?
Monthly rotation or seasonal articles that coincides with said seasons?
List upcoming rides or trips around the country. It's where some are close enough to join in for the day or weekend.
Definitely those who are doing long term traveling. List there trips and have 'On The Fly, Ride Alongs". 8-)
GoldWing Pony Express shipping?

It takes quite a few people to do such venue, no one person can do it all, you'd burn out real quick. :(
Last edited by FM-USA on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

dennislp
Motorcycle: 90 1500 se

Postby dennislp » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:28 pm

keep it informal have a news letter online keep rides simple and fun . or it may as well be the gwrra

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 pm

I agree we don't want to reinvent the wheel. We need to ask ourselves, what is the gwrra lacking that we want. Do we want more articles about older bikes? More items about social gatherings? And lastly, this has to be something that someone other then WingAdmin does. He already does enough for us. This is something to ultimately help make our community better, not to further burden The WingAdmin.

Wing of the month is an example. It starts out great... Everyone is interested. Interest is high. People Volunteer. Then as interest wanes, The Admin or a moderator ends up taking over. So what started as a good idea, becomes someone's extra work.

What I simply suggest is this. If we take a trip, write up an article, with pictures and send it to wing admin. If he likes it, he includes it in the newsletter. In a way we already do this, as he does bring posts, from the forum into the newsletter from time to time, but I think it would be neat if a few of us wrote articles, and they get included in the newsletter exclusively. I know I would look forward to the newsletter even more then I do now.

And lets not make it wing specific. FB6, and Valkeries differently should be included. I even liked the posts Wingadmin had about his wife's PC800 (by the way, I've ridden one and I really liked it, nice easy to handle bike).

Tips and tricks are awesome, so is technical information, but the one thing we all share, even if you don't work on your wing, is we all love riding or we wouldn't be here.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”