Autumn Ride/NY Fall colors/ 1983 Aspencade Wineberry Youtube video

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Autumn Ride/NY Fall colors/ 1983 Aspencade Wineberry Youtube video

Postby thunderwing » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:50 am

The wife and I went for a little ride two up to take in the autumn colors, and we had a great time, so we put the pictures to some music from the movie "The motorcycle diaries" and "Midnight Rider" by the Allman brothers. Enjoy, we intend to have some more posts of videos when we take the bike out of winter storage. Was a fun ride that we capped off with a hot meal, and a night cap after we tucked the bike in for the night.

Winter is coming, and we will be starting our wing once a week to keep her healthy and happy for her hibernation thru winter.

Best,

Scott and Laura

Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Autumn Ride/NY Fall colors/ 1983 Aspencade Wineberry Youtube video

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:15 am

thunderwing wrote:Winter is coming, and we will be starting our wing once a week to keep her healthy and happy for her hibernation thru winter.

No!!!

I don't know why so many people this year have come up with this idea. I even wrote about it in the newsletter that came out last night: Don't Start Your Bike!

This is an excerpt from my How to winterize your motorcycle article:

Now, what do you do now that the bike is away for its winter slumber? Please, please, PLEASE resist the temptation to "start it up to keep the oil fresh" or whatever other reason you feel you need to regularly run the engine. Your engine does not benefit in any way from being started from dead cold for a short "warm-up." In fact, it's quite the opposite. Starting the engine puts lots of moisture into both the crankcase and the exhaust. If you are not going to go out for a good, hard half hour ride, neither the engine nor the exhaust are going to get up to full normal operating temperature - which means this moisture is not going to evaporate. Instead, it's going to sit in the bike and start corroding the insides of your engine, cylinders and exhaust system. Every time you start it, it is making it worse. The fact that it is cold outside makes it even worse - this means the moisture easily condenses on the cold surfaces, starting the rusting process.

Read the article for more details on why starting your bike throughout the winter is just about the WORST thing you can do to it.

And incidentally, I have to ask...does Laura's long braided hair flop around in the wind as you ride? It looks like it could be a weapon at speed!

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Autumn Ride/NY Fall colors/ 1983 Aspencade Wineberry Youtube video

Postby thunderwing » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Thank you for your concerned reply, I'm very aware of the moisture problem, as I have always run the bike and perhaps taken it for a ride weather permitting(less likely as it's cooooollllld)and run the bike in place for 30 minutes at a clip. It's garaged in a shop that is for the most part climate controlled. I had carb work done this year to resurrect this wing, and want to keep it in pristine running condition as that was not cheap to have the work done for a total rebuild on the 4 carbs. Been riding for 20 years, and moisture is the enemy-and yes temperature fluctuations are the culprit for rust. I agree with you whole heartedly on 30 minute run time, I just can't completely mothball the bike for the winter season-If the weather becomes favorable for a drive I will take the drive just to keep everything in working order with regard to the brakes, exhaust, fuel, etc. just so when spring comes there are no surprises.

Laura's hair flies to the front somewhat to my stomach area, however it's soft and doesn't assault me like a whip(lol)though she wouldn't mind it being weaponized at times. More often than not it flies out towards the back of the bike.

Thank you for your attention to detail in managing the forum....sharing is caring!!
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

Return to “Goldwing Chat”