Trouble Sleeping

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Trouble Sleeping

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:01 am

Now it's getting close to 6:00 AM. After watching a news program on the effects of sleeping pills and whatever that natural hormone supplement was, I decided to stop taking them.
So I went to sleep about 10:00PM and woke up at midnight. I read til about 3:00 AM and finished my book.
I tossed and turned, trying to go back to sleep, til about 5:00 AM. That's when I got up and went into the living room.
I read some more of my Goldwing owners manual but I've already read it before, a couple times.
I'm thinking I shouldn't have quit taking everything, the hormone and allergy pills, all at one time.
But if I make it through today I should sleep good tonight! :lol:
Ahhhhh.....look on the bright side.......oh I can't, the sun hasn't come up yet!

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Re: Trouble Sleeping

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:15 am

Now I'm replying to my own post. When I found it under Goldwing Chat it shows I posted it at 7:01 this morning.
Must be using east coast time as its only 6:07 now. But no matter. I'm just tired and rambling from No Sleep!
Not gonna watch anymore news.

Now, for something motorcycle related.
You need a good nights res....no, no, no. Not that!
When I bought my antifreeze at Honda today, I ended up buying this blue looking stuff. Supposed to be okay for aluminum engines. Now I'm having second thoughts on this engine ice stuff. Anyone here use it? Good, bad or just Ho-hum? I did save my receipt.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:59 am

Will you go back to sleep. Now I'm awake. Thanks a lot! :x :lol:
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:24 pm

Hoo Ray. :roll: I had breakfast and coffee went back to bed and fell asleep. For about 2 hour's. Hoo Ray. :roll:

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:09 pm

Man ain't it fun gettin' old????
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:49 am

Well I guess this ain't too bad. Started this thread on December 3rd. Now it's March something. :cry:
Have had a few restless nights since then but here I am again. Unable to sleep, again! :(
I'm thinking maybe I should keep a diary about what I have for supper each evening, then the next day note how well I slept that night. Hmmmmm....
Maybe I've got something nagging at my mind and that's what's keeping me awake. Could be. There's a couple things in that department. :roll:
Oh well, think I'll jump on over to the 1500 department, see what's happening there. Goodnight All! :D

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:32 am

4:10 AM. Got tired, shut off the phone and almost nodded off. Almost.
Was about to get out of my rocking chair and lay down on the couch and then "Boiiiinnnng" wide awake. :shock:
Feeling just a bit hungry. So get a small glass of milk and one of the wife's muffins.
Eating one makes me want another but I'm trying not to pork out so much. Like a few others I'm sure, I'd like to lose a bit of weight.
Maybe my tires would last longer and I wouldn't have to go "To The Darkside".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:36 am

I sleep 4 to 6 hours a night most every night. a few times a year i'll get 7 to 8 hours of sleep but that doesn't happen often enough. sometimes like you I only get a couple hours of sleep, its not bad unless nights like that are strung out for a couple weeks
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:32 am

Don't know how you can make it day to day with so little sleep. I like to get eight, but I'll be okay with only six or seven hours sleep.
When I'm traveling and sleeping in my tent each night, I never have problems sleeping, weather permitting.
I'll go to sleep between 9 and 10 and won't wake up til 6 or 7 the next morning.
Maybe I should have laid my sleeping bag out in the floor. Tried out my new sleeping pad? :D
Well its 5:30 here now, will try again, getting tired.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38 am

I always fall asleep listening to the shipping forecast on the radio -

However, the national anthem always wakes me up when it is finished.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Watched the whole thing, or may be just most of it. It didn't play the national anthem.
Anyhow, I may have been able to fall asleep just listening to the ladies voice drone on.
Anyhow, went to bed about 5:45 and got up about 9:15. Guess that'll have to do. ;)

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 pm

The Shipping Forecast is the last broadcast of the night, when it's finished they play the national anthem. With all the technology available to vessels at sea now, I don't think they actually need the shipping forecast any more, but it's nice to hold on to some traditions - even if they have no real use.
The game's afoot;

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:20 pm

brettchallenger wrote:The Shipping Forecast is the last broadcast of the night, when it's finished they play the national anthem. With all the technology available to vessels at sea now, I don't think they actually need the shipping forecast any more, but it's nice to hold on to some traditions - even if they have no real use.

I always wondered what that weird, boring guy was talking about at the end of Thomas Dolby's "Windpower" - now after seeing that little video, I recognize it as the Shipping Forecast.

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Here's tonight's, everything is very calm for the sailors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_ ... g_forecast
The game's afoot;

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Slept 2hrs last nite. Got so bad I google "can't sleep" on my cell phone :shock:
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:02 am

Not everyone needs 8 hrs sleep. When I was much younger, I only needed 4-5 hours. Now I do best with seven. As we age, some of us need less sleep at night, but nap during the day. Many things can cause sleep disturbances - statins, Beta Blockers, Alpha blockers and Ace inhibitors are the main culprits. Most of these are blood pressure meds, with the exception of the statins which are for cholesterol control.
This is very obviously something you should discuss with your Primary Care Physician(PCP).The inability to sleep through the night can be very dangerous when operating a motor vehicle, both to yourself and other folks on the roadways.
Ambien is a great drug to aid with uninterrupted sleep. My spouse is very wary of becoming reliant on Ambien, so she switched to OTC melatonin. Since the change, she has had no problems sleeping through the night. She loves it and has suffered no side effects.
Other issues that might cause sleep loss could be tied to prostate issues(needing to urinate several time during the night), anxiety, alcohol use,caffeine consumption, diabetes, heart failure, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome and the list continues.
A complete physical by your PCP would be the best route to solve what might be a very simple issue. make sure you inform him/her of the issues you are experiencing. Don't write this off as an aging issue. Your safety along with those you might interact with are at stake. Good luck and wishing you a speedy resolution to your sleep disorder.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:56 am

Yesterday afternoon I laid down to read and fell asleep. About 45 minutes later my daughter calls and needs me to come get a swing set she bought but won't fit in her Tahoe. :roll:

Not being able to sleep only happens to me only once, sometimes twice a year. I'm not taking any blood pressure medicine but I do take Lipitor.

Couldn't be alcohol, I haven't had any this year, yet. I did think maybe I should get a six pack and drink a couple before bedtime. I just don't drink alcohol very often, and then when I do, just one maybe two beers

Last night, I went to sleep about 10:00 PM and didn't get up til after 8:00 AM. Got a few little things to take care of then I'm going for a ride. :D.

Next time I see my doctor, I'll see what he's got to say.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:06 am

So much of what our bodies do is related to the food we eat. I've just started a plant based diet and after a week, I can feel the difference in how I sleep and feel. That being said, It's NEVER a good thing to just stop your meds without doing so under your Drs. care. You need to be weaned off of them. There are plenty of videos out there about the food we eat, and what we're being fed. Educate yourself and make your decision. Like most things, it's a personal choice, but it's hard to deny facts. The documentary Food Inc. is a good starting place. This is intended for the O.P. It's not my intent to start a discussion on food in this thread. We can have that discussion in it's own thread.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:38 am

I'm not going to stop taking any of my prescriptions. If a sleepless night once or twice a year is all it cost me, so be it. I've already had one heart attack.

I'm sure my diet could be improved. I'm always arguing with my sweet tooth.
And I love cheeseburgers. But I limit myself. Eating more oranges and bananas too, instead of cake or cookies.

And since I've retired, trips to the steakhouse are few and far between. Special occasions like my birthday, in January, or wifey's, in July. But on hers it might be Chinese or seafood.

I have lost some weight in the past few months, so maybe it's not too bad. :D

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 am

My mistake. I was under the impression that your sleep issues were an ongoing concern. If you only have trouble sleeping once or twice a year, it's not an issue. Write off my previous message , enjoy your retirement and more time with your Wing!

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:27 pm

I find watching the Formula 1 racing is virtually guaranteed to send me to sleep.
I've been listening to the Shipping Forecast for over sixty years long may it continue.
There's a good description of it on Wikipedia.

Sid

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:36 pm

I'd probably like Formula 1 racing. I like NASCAR but I watch less of it now because I don't get Fox Sports on the satellite package I now have and I'm not going to the next higher dollar package just to get Fox Sports. NASCAR is weening me off racing.
I fully intended on going for a ride today. I just needed to do a little work on the car and then I was going cruising. :D
Well my plans got shot down when my little Ally-Bug needed her papa to put her new swing set together. What could I do? :roll:
How could I enjoy a cruise in the county when my little granddaughter needed her swing put together?
Well I got it put together and I'm too tired to go riding now. Won't be as warm tomorrow but I'm still going to go riding, I hope. Maybe if I leave right after my morning coffee I could get a good days riding done. That's the plan! :D

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:46 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Don't know how you can make it day to day with so little sleep. I like to get eight, but I'll be okay with only six or seven hours sleep.
When I'm traveling and sleeping in my tent each night, I never have problems sleeping, weather permitting.
I'll go to sleep between 9 and 10 and won't wake up til 6 or 7 the next morning.
Maybe I should have laid my sleeping bag out in the floor. Tried out my new sleeping pad? :D
Well its 5:30 here now, will try again, getting tired.

after my injury I just don't stay comfortable. I'm still working and go to bed around 22:00 and I'm usually back up around 4a. I have to be at work at 6:30 and its a 10 minute drive there. been dealing with this since july of '98

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

Return to “Goldwing Chat”