Suggestion to Administrator to create a Video Area/Member video area

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Suggestion to Administrator to create a Video Area/Member video area

Postby thunderwing » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:28 am

I just want to preface my post with the fact that I feel this is the best goldwing forum on the web that I've found as far as how to articles, friendliness, functionality of the site, professional, etc. etc......I love this site.

With that being said would it be possible to create a media gallery section within this site for video contributions whether it be how to, just for fun, instructional, etc. as it could easily be a mirror of this site only video driven(my thoughts....a daily goldwing show I could watch!!!LoL, seriously I would watch that!)

My career is such that I create media content for a living, and I just plain enjoy watching good video content.....if it's goldwing content I love it!!

Anyway I commend you on creating a great site and look forward toward it's continued evolution of features and new goldwing inspired content whatever that may be.

Best,

Scott

Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Suggestion to Administrator to create a Video Area/Member video area

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:17 pm

I like the idea, but there are a few issues, primarily technological.

First off, there is the issue of storage. Video takes a tremendous amount of storage space. We have almost 10,000 images uploaded by our users in our Member Pictures area, and that alone uses close to 2 GB of storage. Video could easily be a thousand times that much. On a home computer this isn't a tremendous issue, but on the server storage is expensive: we have a RAID array for redundancy, which means the data is stored across a series of disks. We have a backup server that does daily backups of the main web server, so we have to duplicate the storage there. We also back up to a cloud service, so we have to pay for that as well, plus the bandwidth to get it there.

Secondly, there is user bandwidth. We have fairly generous bandwidth available to the site, but do we accept the fact that the web site runs dead slow for everyone because two or three people are streaming video? Or do we spend more to get more bandwidth, to accommodate the video?

Next, there is the problem of transcoding. There are a million different video formats, and a million variations inside each of those. Container formats, video codec formats, audio codec formats, different bitrates, different frame sizes, different pixel geometry, different frame rates. We couldn't just make a storage space and have people upload video files for others to download, as a large number of people wouldn't be able to download/stream the files, because their computers (or phones!) wouldn't have the correct application and/or codec to play a lot of the video formats. So we would have to invest in some kind of transcoding software that could accept pretty much any video format and transcode it into a common, acceptable format, at an acceptable bitrate, that could be streamed to everyone, or to an HTML-embedded player. And what about when new, as-yet-unheard of formats come into existence, how do we support those? Transcoding also takes a tremendous amount of CPU power, which again - we have limited amounts of. We have more than enough to make the web site run quickly, but if 6 of the 8 cores of the CPU are busy transcoding video, is it OK for the web site to run slowly for everyone else?

So considering all of that, I saw the simplest solution that solves all three of these issues: using YouTube and Vimeo. Both services have virtually unlimited storage and bandwidth. Both services transcode practically any known video format, and are continually updated as new formats are released. Both services have huge transcoding back-ends utilizing literally thousands of processors. And they are either free (YouTube) or low-cost (Vimeo).

So users can upload their videos to those services, and those services do what they do best. Instead of hosting the videos here, I wrote embedded players into the message system, so that you can embed either Vimeo or YouTube videos directly into your message postings.

The only drawback to this system is that I have no control over whether videos continue to be available. There are a few message postings that link to videos that are, for one reason or another, no longer available on their host system. There's really no good way around that.

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Suggestion to Administrator to create a Video Area/Member video area

Postby thunderwing » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:41 pm

The technical reasons why it can't be hosted by goldwingdocs I get, as I understood that prior to my post as an endeavor that is better suited for vimeo, youtube, etc.

My suggestion was to create a video area to supplement where members can post video content that exists as a youtube, vimeo, etc. link. i.e. a member has a vimeo, youtube, etc. account uploads their video to their account and it now can be posted via a hyperlink to the forum without the forum being the host for the video itself.

Perhaps a DIY video instruction for repairs, product review, etc. along the structure you have built here to bring an additional dimension to posts if someone wishes to create some more in-depth content.

Basically it would be for people who crave more detail and the entertainment of attaining more information to self educate on repairs, product reviews, etc.

Best,

Scott
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

Return to “Goldwing Chat”