Well, it's official, the beast LIVES!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
crazyhorseguy
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade
2005 Tomos LX

Well, it's official, the beast LIVES!

Postby crazyhorseguy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Picked up an 82 GL1100 Aspencade a few days ago, and now it's ALIVE!
Carbs were already done, as well as belts, oil, etc. Rebuilt the starter today, as it was stalled, also had burned up the connector to the brushes on the insulating plate (fabbed new one, thankfully I do electronics as a hobby). Gave her a drink after re-installing tank & new filter, and after some convincing she fired up & idled smooth. Still have to get instrumentation (speedo/RPM/air) lights & accessory running lights going, and replace the fog lamps (they're absolutely done), but that's minor and the bike can be enjoyed a bit without those during the day (headlamp, tail, brake, turn, panel indicators, radio/CB all work).

Got the air assist working without too much trouble, though I'm missing the front/rear rocker switch cover.
Radio & CB handlebar controls are sorta working when they feel like it, need to get more deoxit & clean the switches up.
Speakers are pretty much toast, but I think I can pick up replacements at wally world.
Fairing has a crack in the inside (driver area) plastic, and someone has attempted to repair it with a soldering iron or something (looks terrible), not sure what to do there. I know crazy glue would hold, or an ABS mix, but nothing is going to look nice in the end unfortunately.

A few questions for all the awesome people here:
There's still some surface rust to deal with on many of the chrome bits, as well as minor corrosion in some areas, but no pitting. Ideas?
Any ideas on a DIY CB/Intercom headset solution, as I'm not up for a pair of expensive headsets at present?
Cassette deck is corked, perhaps I can replace it with a line in connection for an MP3 player?

I've had a couple good sized bikes before, but this is the first full-dress touring bike I've ever had, it's enormous and slightly intimidating to be honest. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding tips on handling these beasts, and thankfully I'm in a very rural location so there's not much for traffic to worry about while I figure it out. I'm very thankful for this unusual weather for December, gives me the chance to play with my new toy some before putting it to bed for the winter (any tips there?).

I've decided to call it "Black Mass", in reference to it's color & massiveness (is that even a word?...is now.).

I still have to affix the badges back on, but want to make some effort to make them pretty again first, but here she is (assuming I post this correctly):
main power switched on to check lights
main power switched on to check lights

that's a big butt...
that's a big butt...

1982 GL1100 Aspencade (WIP)
2005 Tomos LX
2011 Hanoverian Horse
2002 Shetland Pony
1987 Wife

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Well, it's official, the beast LIVES!

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:38 pm

A very simple fix for surface rust on chrome is a wadded-up ball of aluminum foil. Rub it over the rust - it will take the rust off, but the aluminum is too soft to scratch up the chrome.

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Postby Easy rider » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:57 am

WingAdmin wrote:A very simple fix for surface rust on chrome is a wadded-up ball of aluminum foil. Rub it over the rust - it will take the rust off, but the aluminum is too soft to scratch up the chrome.

Use Coca Colla and Alluminum foil. Amaizing results on the chrome surface rust

crazyhorseguy
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade
2005 Tomos LX

Postby crazyhorseguy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm going to have to try that tomorrow if it's warm enough out. I know Coke will clean coins/drill bits/whatever, never though of using it on chrome for some silly reason. Thanks so much for the hints, I'll pick up the needed items at work tonight (I have a night job at a grocery store, rather handy in this case).

Took the beast for a test ride today, just up the road and back a couple miles each way, I'm in love. Even though it started snowing a bit, it was the most awesome feeling to run her up the road. Parked in front of a restaurant when I returned (our flat is above it) to surprise my kids off the school bus, everyone who came out the door had their eyes locked on that bike (this time of year, age of bike, etc.), that also was a pretty cool feeling :)

1982 GL1100 Aspencade (WIP)
2005 Tomos LX
2011 Hanoverian Horse
2002 Shetland Pony
1987 Wife

Return to “Goldwing Chat”