Why Do We Ride Motorcycles?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Why Do We Ride Motorcycles?

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Today was sunny and bright, and the temperature was -18ºC/0ºF, with a 15 mph. wind. Brrrrr!! The roads were mainly clear and dry, except for some of the more rural roads that still had some snow patches that the plow had missed. My bike's been in hibernation now for about a month, and that, plus the fact that it was cold enough to freeze the "you know whats" off a brass monkey, made decision making easy.
I thought that I'd like to go for a 3 or 4 hour cruise on some local country back roads just to get away from it all, so I got in my car and away I went. What a beautiful drive it was. You know what I mean. The same drive that I'd take on my bike, on a warmer day. I began to wonder, as I went along, why do I ride a motorcycle? I'm seeing the same stuff, am I not? I personally have a pretty good idea why I ride, and I thought we all might be interested in exactly why each of us likes to ride, as opposed to driving a car, or walking, or flying, or being driven, or staying at a resort, or watching TV, or whatever. "Why Do We Ride Motorcycles?"

Just curious you know?......................................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Why Do We Ride Motorcycles?

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:14 pm

I saw this some time ago, copied it and wish that I remembered where I got it to give proper credit.
If anyone here knows who penned it, I apologize in advance. I'm not plagiarizing it, I just really like it and think it conveys the emotion.

The other night I was sitting on my bike under an overpass on the highway. Even though I was wearing good rain gear, the rain coming down buckets, made riding literally impossible, and unsafe. With spray form passing cars coming at me from all directions I felt as if I was inside a car wash. It was time. When I saw the overpass up ahead I pulled off beside the highway and found a relatively dry spot pout of the rain under the bridge. Sitting there, on the bike, rivulets of water dripping down inside of my rain jacket and inside the visor of my helmet I probably looked as miserable as I felt. I asked myself the question that I have been asked by so many others, Why am I riding a motorcycle?
When you let a motorcycle into your life you’re changed forever. The letters “MC” are stamped on your driver’s license right next to your sex and weight as if “motorcycle” was just another of your physical characteristics, or maybe a mental condition.
A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life. We spend all our time sealed in boxes’ and cars are just the rolling boxes that shuffle us from home-box to work-box to store-box and back, the whole time, entombed in stale air, temperature regulated, sound insulated, and smelling of carpets.
On a motorcycle I know I’m alive. When I ride, even the familiar seems strange and glorious. The air has weight and substance as I push through it and its touch is as intimate as water to a swimmer. I feel the cool wells of air that pool under trees and the warm spokes of sun that fall through them. I can see everything in a sweeping 360 degrees, up, down and around, wider than Pana-Vision and IMAX and unrestricted by ceiling or dashboard. Sometimes I even hear music. It’s like hearing phantom telephones in the shower or false doorbells when vacuuming; the pattern-loving brain, seeking signals in the noise, raises acoustic ghosts out of the wind’s roar. But on a motorcycle I hear whole songs: rock ‘n roll, dark orchestras, women’s voices, all hidden in the air and released by speed. At 30 miles per hour and up, smells become uncannily vivid. All the individual tree- smells and flower- smells and grass-smells flit by like chemical notes in a great plant symphony. Sometimes the smells evoke memories so strongly that it’s as though the past hangs invisible in the air around me, wanting only the most casual of rumbling time machines to unlock it. A ride on a summer afternoon can border on the rapturous. The sheer volume and variety of stimuli is like a bath for my nervous system, an electrical massage for my brain, a systems check for my soul. It tears smiles out of me: a minute ago I was dour, depressed, apathetic, numb, but now, on two wheels, big, ragged, windy smiles flap against the side of my face, billowing out of me like air from a decompressing plane.
Transportation is only a secondary function. A motorcycle is a joy machine. It’s a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It’s light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it’s a conduit of grace, it’s a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy. It’s flying three feet off the ground.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:40 pm

NVSB4 wrote:I saw this some time ago, copied it and wish that I remembered where I got it to give proper credit.
If anyone here knows who penned it, I apologize in advance. I'm not plagiarizing it, I just really like it and think it conveys the emotion.

The other night I was sitting on my bike under an overpass on the highway. Even though I was wearing good rain gear, the rain coming down buckets, made riding literally impossible, and unsafe. With spray form passing cars coming at me from all directions I felt as if I was inside a car wash. It was time. When I saw the overpass up ahead I pulled off beside the highway and found a relatively dry spot pout of the rain under the bridge. Sitting there, on the bike, rivulets of water dripping down inside of my rain jacket and inside the visor of my helmet I probably looked as miserable as I felt. I asked myself the question that I have been asked by so many others, Why am I riding a motorcycle?
When you let a motorcycle into your life you’re changed forever. The letters “MC” are stamped on your driver’s license right next to your sex and weight as if “motorcycle” was just another of your physical characteristics, or maybe a mental condition.
A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life. We spend all our time sealed in boxes’ and cars are just the rolling boxes that shuffle us from home-box to work-box to store-box and back, the whole time, entombed in stale air, temperature regulated, sound insulated, and smelling of carpets.
On a motorcycle I know I’m alive. When I ride, even the familiar seems strange and glorious. The air has weight and substance as I push through it and its touch is as intimate as water to a swimmer. I feel the cool wells of air that pool under trees and the warm spokes of sun that fall through them. I can see everything in a sweeping 360 degrees, up, down and around, wider than Pana-Vision and IMAX and unrestricted by ceiling or dashboard. Sometimes I even hear music. It’s like hearing phantom telephones in the shower or false doorbells when vacuuming; the pattern-loving brain, seeking signals in the noise, raises acoustic ghosts out of the wind’s roar. But on a motorcycle I hear whole songs: rock ‘n roll, dark orchestras, women’s voices, all hidden in the air and released by speed. At 30 miles per hour and up, smells become uncannily vivid. All the individual tree- smells and flower- smells and grass-smells flit by like chemical notes in a great plant symphony. Sometimes the smells evoke memories so strongly that it’s as though the past hangs invisible in the air around me, wanting only the most casual of rumbling time machines to unlock it. A ride on a summer afternoon can border on the rapturous. The sheer volume and variety of stimuli is like a bath for my nervous system, an electrical massage for my brain, a systems check for my soul. It tears smiles out of me: a minute ago I was dour, depressed, apathetic, numb, but now, on two wheels, big, ragged, windy smiles flap against the side of my face, billowing out of me like air from a decompressing plane.
Transportation is only a secondary function. A motorcycle is a joy machine. It’s a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It’s light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it’s a conduit of grace, it’s a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy. It’s flying three feet off the ground.

Thanks a lot NV for wrapping it up on the 1st reply. Ha! Ha! Ha!...............That's a good one!
Come on everybody, see if you can match that!................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:57 pm

The previous post is hard to follow but, my answer would have more to do with why I prefer not to drive a car. Being out of the fresh air, and not having the smells, sounds, or other stimuli is boring. This makes me less attentive, hence less safe. Being in a cage I take more chances probably from feeling less vulnerable. I often am in a hurry to get where I'm going, not enjoying the trip. I hardly ever just pull over somewhere just to enjoy whatever place I happen to be at. These are a few. I know a lot of other folks can add a lot more.
Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:56 pm

I have argued with myself many times about riding. I ran down all the negatives and even convinced myself one day I am going to die a horrible death if I continue to ride. The images of the friend being hit by the drunk driver and then the drivier backing over him, he is one step away from being a vegetable today, the guy I watched come off his bike and end up under a sports car as we tried to save him you could hear his face sizzling on the exhaust he died instantly, my uncle losing it in a curve hitting the guardrail and having his stomach sliced open and his guts plopp out but he lived to ride another day. All these haunt me every time I get on my motorcycle. It's like a drug. I have not found anything else that gives me the feeling of freedom and relaxation as I get from riding.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:09 pm

Why do we ride ? Easy answer, It's fun.... :D Thrilling in fact.... :lol:

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:19 am

my sister asked me this very question recently. best i could say was, " i am 54. when i'm on my bike i don't feel 54. i feel 17....... " she just smiled. :)

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Postby Easy rider » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 am

Why I ride motorcycle ? Simply :

In a car....I am driving my body...
On a motorcycle ....I am driving my soul....

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:39 am

When I get my insurance bill for the motorcycle for the next year, I wonder. This year, with no reason that I can see, it went up $400. In Canada, specifically, Ontario, they have what is called the "Accident Benefits" portion of the policy, and it went from $750 a year to $1150 a year, due to the numerous claims overall in the province, or the country or the world. The remaining portion of my insurance including collision, comprehensive, uninsured other motorist, etc was an additional $300. This $300 is the only part I have any control over, and not much of that if I wish to be paid for my motorcycle if I have an accident. Yes, I say if, as my last one was so many years ago that God has forgotten. So why do I ride a motorcycle???

Just ask the next dog you see with his head out the window of a car, or in the back of a pickup truck. It is for the shear joy of life. Everything is so much bigger and more vivid on a motorcycle. And then there is that old addage:

If you understand, you do not need to ask, but if you ask, you would never understand.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:13 am

themainviking wrote:
If you understand, you do not need to ask, but if you ask, you would never understand.

OW!!.............THAT HURT!!! :lol:
"Assume Nothing"

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:23 am

Just because....... They are so cool!

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:45 am

themainviking wrote:When I get my insurance bill for the motorcycle for the next year, I wonder. This year, with no reason that I can see, it went up $400. In Canada, specifically, Ontario, they have what is called the "Accident Benefits" portion of the policy, and it went from $750 a year to $1150 a year, due to the numerous claims overall in the province, or the country or the world. The remaining portion of my insurance including collision, comprehensive, uninsured other motorist, etc was an additional $300. This $300 is the only part I have any control over, and not much of that if I wish to be paid for my motorcycle if I have an accident. Yes, I say if, as my last one was so many years ago that God has forgotten.

I guess that may be an overflow part of the socialized health care in Canada.

themainviking wrote: So why do I ride a motorcycle??? Just ask the next dog you see with his head out the window of a car, or in the back of a pickup truck. It is for the shear joy of life. Everything is so much bigger and more vivid on a motorcycle. And then there is that old addage:

You know, I thought about this more and the same "freedom and oneness with self and outdoors" is lauded by bicycle riders and long distance runners.
The difference for me with those and a motorcycle is effort and power.
I sure don't want to put forth the effort of running and peddling.
I also remember the excitement that I got riding my Honda Cub 50, but don't think that I would have the same feeling riding it today as my 1500.
I know that the thrill of the power pushing you back in the seat with the slightest twist of the throttle has something to do with it.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:14 pm

I know the real answer, I do.... :shock: I have known it for many moons.... :shock: We all have it... Let me Spane.... :lol: Remember way way back when...... remember as a very young boy when you rode a bicycle for the very first time ????? Ridng a Motorcycle triggers that same emotion in the brain, it brings back those same thrilling feelings.... Except it's motorized Oh joy... Most of us are thrilled still today....It's a rush everytime,,We ignore the dangers and those who tell us how we have death wishes ect... I couldn't wait to ride my bicycle everyday when I got up, I would go far from home on it, I would explore.... I learned other kids had them too, so we made packs.... We lived on our bikes...well having a motorcycle is one of the remaining thrills I have left in my life, I just love riding it.....Always will....

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:08 pm

Just because....... They are so cool!

Well my ride today was certainly cool, and indeed very wet!
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:30 pm

That's for sure Beaver. I remember one time, when I was about 8 or 9, I fell off my bike. My finger got trapped between the handle grip and the asphalt as I skidded finally to a stop. It tore my finger up pretty good, and my mom had to wrap it up in a great big fat wad of bandage. It was about 3 times the size of my finger. I remember that she got mad at me, not for falling off my bike, but for pestering her to hurry up, and get it wrapped, so I could get back outside and climb back on my bike, because my buddies were yelling for me to hurry up, because it was starting to get dark.
Those were great times. These are great times.

Come on spring.................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:24 am

Solina Dave wrote:
themainviking wrote:

OW!!.............THAT HURT!!! :lol:

I did say it was an old adage, actually not aimed at anyone. Especially not aimed at you Dave.
Last edited by themainviking on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:31 am

NVSB4 wrote:
I guess that may be an overflow part of the socialized health care in Canada.

Actually more to do with all the vehicles and drivers having accidents and making fraudulent claims, and so few paying insurance to make the pool large enough to absorb it. If the socialized health care in Canada truly worked, insurance premiums should go down. After we get another 270 million people here, our premiums should go down, LMAO.

ImageImage

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:07 pm

I ride because when I ride I have to focus on what I'm doing. I can forget about all my problems and enjoy what I'm doing and, at least for a while, get away from it all.
After a relaxing ride, personal problems suddenly seem more manageable. When riding I see other people in a rush to get here or there and I can stop at a mountain overlook for a 1/2 hour if I want and just enjoy the present.
When I'm riding across the plains towards the foothills of the Rockies, I can look at the country and try to imagine how it was for the Pioneers, the cowboys and the Indians, "back then".
On my motorcycle I'll stop when I see something that interests me. In the car or truck it's rush onwards towards whatever destination.
I ride a motorcycle because when I ride, I'm focused, relaxed and alert all at the same time. I feel most alive when I ride.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 pm

They get in your blood. Rode for a number of years then quit because I lived in the city and the risks were becoming too great to ignore. Some years later I moved out to the country and had promised myself that I'd consider getting another bike. Now I can't imagine life without one or two or three... :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 pm

You nailed it. It's in our blood. May be able to stop for a while, but then the lust boils up and we got to ride again. :twisted:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 pm

My wife doesn't worry about me cheating, she just wonders when I'll be back. :lol:

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:10 pm

themainviking wrote:When I get my insurance bill for the motorcycle for the next year, I wonder. This year, with no reason that I can see, it went up $400.

Hey Viking, that is brutal! This year will be my 39th year riding. I've had a driver's licence since I was 16 years old, 52 years ago. I've never had an at-fault accident. I've only ever had 1 ticket in my life, and that was in the States. That figures! :lol:
I just got my insurance renewal, and it's gone up 12.69% over last year. I just have the minimum coverage for liability and accident benefits. I don't have collision, or comprehensive (theft) coverage. I've got records back to 2010, and since then, which is 6 years ago, my insurance has gone up 76.07%.

That's just not right...................................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:51 am

When it comes to motor insurance, there is certainly no such thing as customer loyalty any more. When my insurance renewal comes though it is nearly always significantly more expensive than the previous year's. So I have to do the usual hunt for a new insurance company - which is a pain, but it always results in much cheaper insurance than the renewal cost with the existing company. Bizarrely, when using a price comparison site, even my current insurer comes in cheaper on there than the renewal quote. So the bottom line is; never just renew, always search for a new policy, it is nearly always cheaper.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:16 pm

Are these high, jacked up insurance rates a Canadian thing? Haven't got insurance on this Goldwing yet but on my Shadow, liability insurance was only $89 for the whole year.
I'm sure it would be higher if I was in or near a big city with lots of theft problems, but a $400 increase in one year is crazy.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”