The Cops !!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
QuietOneRides
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

The Cops !!

Postby QuietOneRides » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:41 pm

Have you ever been stopped by the law, My buddy says they won't stop old guys on a Goldwing! I may just be pushing my luck.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: The Cops !!

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:46 pm

If they do stop you - they might want to sit on your knee :D

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:25 pm

out of all the vehicles i've driven, cars, 23' trucks, limos, school buses, and even a motorhome, i've never been stopped while riding my goldwing. maybe it's because i drive a lot more cautious on the bike?

stuart.

Arti
Motorcycle: gl1200

Postby Arti » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:09 pm

Not stopped on my wing. However I do Furnace repair and if I am out on a call from about 11pm to 2am I will likely get stopped by the law.
Serious public safety things like deviating in my lane, to close to the fog line, not dimming lights quick enough,dirt on my license plate yada yada yada. When they find out I haven't been drinking they get a disgusted look on their face and let me go on about my business.

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:17 am

i've been stopped twice. on my blue 75 both times. each time they were more interested in checking the bike out , rather than me. :lol:

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:37 am

They do stop you and they do give out tickets!
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:10 am

I have been stopped three times on a wing. Once in Wyoming for speeding. Once in Montana five minutes later for speeding. Some people never learn. I know those cops had to be working together and laughing their butts off. Yup we got us another one. :oops: :lol: The third time was a judgement call by the cop. I wasn't breaking any laws. He stopped me for riding to fast for conditions. It was raining at the time. Oh well!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:23 am

Only once on my Wing. I was on my GL1100, and had just gotten a call that my brother in law had crashed his motorcycle, from a bystander that had found his phone, and mine was the only number that answered. There was a lot of confusion, the ambulance had not yet arrived, nobody knew what his condition was. I was unable to reach anyone else in the family, and I was on the other side of the city at a bike night for classic motorcycles.

I hopped on my 1100 and screamed across I-480. It has a speed limit of 60 mph, I limited myself to 85 mph, although it sure felt a lot faster. I figured 85 mph was safe, I could slow down if I saw any cops.

I didn't see the cop. My first indication was the flashing lights behind me. He told me that he had clocked me at 110 mph. It was then that I remembered that the speedometer on my GL1100 only went to 85 mph.

I explained what was going on, and why I was riding so fast. He let me off with a warning and told me to slow down. I'm sure the FOP card I had might have helped a bit as well.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:47 am

Back when I used to ride my Harleys, I got stopped the requisite amount of times, like one out of every three rides, it seemed. Then so many people got Harleys that it became a rare occurence. I have only had the Goldwing for five years, but I have not been stopped even once. Not even for a 'ride' program. I do, however, have acquaintances who have been stopped for all kinda crap reasons, like modulating headlights or back off brake lights. Speeding comes to mind as well. So, riding a Goldwing (stock lighting) and obeying the law seem to be the magic charm... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:19 pm

Only one time on my Wing and it was on base. I'd stopped perfectly balanced and didn't put my foot down, obviously he assumed I hadn't stopped. I repeated four times in the lot but still he wrote me up, as there was a truck a block down the road who I'd seen pull out the same time I did, he said I pulled out in front of the truck! Off station my cop buddies admitted they usually don't get problems out of the Ol'e Guy Goldwing crowd and admitted never having pulled one over. I guess they never saw me on the back highways in the middle of nowhere, all they'd have to do is listen for the boom.... :lol:
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Been stopped only once while bimbling along 60mph on motorway. Reason for the pull .is this your vehicle .yes it is. Had it long. Yes a few years. Done much work to it .yes quite a bit ....yada yada .20 mins later .turns out he had just got a gl1100 and had not seen another on the road .

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:54 pm

FRIGGIN COPS!!

Always tryin' to keep da man down....opressin' da man...keeping his thumb on da man!!!

I got stopped once while working 1st watch (midnite shift). I was running a little late and got caught by the city PD doing 65 in a 50.

After I stopped, he came up and got right beside me, and said you know you were going a little fast back there.

I said: Hi, Joe (his real name) What's going on? Then he recognized me and he said: Oh, Hi Dave. Going to work? Me: yup.

OK...see you after while, then went back to his car. (I work for the county SO, at that time in the jail.)

Sure enough, about 0200 he brought in an OWI.

No ticket, but I don't think it was cuz was an old guy on a Wing. 8-)
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:32 am

A long time ago I was working late just before the holidays. I was tired and just wanted to go home. It was dark. A local cop pulls out of a parking lot and immediately pulls me over. He said I was doing 30mph in a 25 zone and gave me a ticket. He told me he paced my car. There was no way he could have because he wasn't following me. He had just pulled out of a parking lot himself. So next nite I go for a ride on my Honda CM400T (my first bike) for some stress relief. A cop pulls me over doing 45mph in a 25mph zone. It was just a long stretch of straight road on my way back home. He let me off with a warning. You know I can't recall the last time I've seen a bike pulled over by a cop.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Old Wing Man
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE

Postby Old Wing Man » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:15 am

I have never been pulled over on my motorcycle which is a good thing because I rode for years without the motorcycle endorsement. I only got that in 2000 when I moved to Canada after 40 years of riding off and on. They had a MC safety/riding school that was for a Sat/Sun and with the completion, you just went to the license station and got the new license with MC endorsement. The school furnished the bikes which were mostly 100 cc but had one 250 cc which I got to use since the small ones didn't fit me too well (I had a 1500 cc Vulcan at the time having sold my 1200 Goldwing when I moved.

The last time I got stopped in a car was when I went thru a speed trap in a small town in Tenn. The reduced speed limit sign was hidden partially by a tree and the cop was over 100 yards off the road in a driveway. Small towns have no other revenue producing events so almost all have a speed trap set up. The little town close to me now gets a lot of out of towners heading to or from Hot Springs on Hwy 7. The city limit is 4-5 miles out of town with 55 MPH limit but most of the out of towners hit that straight stretch at 65 or 70 and get nailed. It is really bad going south on Hwy 7 (only one road to Hot Springs from the south) because it is downhill and the cop sets near the bottom of the hill. If you don't lightly brake you will gain speed going down that hill and he waits for you and 60 MPH will get you a ticket. All the locals know to keep it slow in Caddo Valley.

There are many good curvy roads here for motorcycle riding and most of them don't need excessive speed to be a thrill. In fact Hwy 7 north of Hot springs has lots of 25 MPH or less curves some of which you can almost see your tail light as you go around them. We have lots of retirees that have no where to be and all day to get there so almost anytime you travel on our 2 lane roads you will get behind one or more of these caravans lead by a 45 MPH driver in a 55 zone so cops are rarely seen and only in specific spots where a pull off shoulder is available (again, mostly out of town folks that don't know where these locations are).

chevy_man5
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard (Girlfriend's bike)
1983 V45 Magna VF750C (Son's bike)
2000 Harley Road King Police Edition (My bike)

Postby chevy_man5 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:41 am

When I first got my Harley, I was much younger, and much dumber. Heavy on the throttle everywhere. Had several officers that could have ticketed me either motion for me to slow down, or just blip their lights. Probably helped that it is a retired (they couldn't have known) police bike. So I kind of looked like one of them. I did get one ticket just a couple of years ago on it though. Coming into a town, didn't see the 35mph sign, and got nailed doing 55. The officer kindly dropped it to 50 though. That helped with the fine!

It is still fun to pull over to the side of the road to throw on gloves, or get a drink, or whatever, and sit there for a few minutes. People come flying down the road, and slow way down, realize I am not an officer, and zoom off.

My son is a new rider, and has himself a quick little Honda V45 Magna. He has so far avoided any issues with the law, other than when his clutch cable snapped and he launched into a field. Then they just helped me load him and his bike in my truck when I got there. No ticket, because it was obvious what happened, and no one else was involved.

My girlfriend is a new rider also, but is very cautious and law abiding in the cage, so I'm sure she will be a good girl and stay behaved on her Wing, at least I hope so!

QuietOneRides
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby QuietOneRides » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:39 pm

was going across 50 in NV (the loneliest hiway) 95 mph on a wing, was taking a picture of my speedo to text my wife when my buddy asks is that a cop? looked up and sure enuf it was,why I didn't see him I don't know. got it slowed down to about 80 when I went by , thought we were screwed, he didn't even move. our lucky day!

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500SE

Postby garwil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:16 pm

I have been stopped on my GW, and I have been ticketed for speeding. Legitimate, because I was.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Hey Old Wing Man, if Hwy. 7 is the one that comes up north from Arkadelphia, through Hot Springs up to I-40 and then on northward, I've ridden that highway several times.
Was working in Arkadelphia and had my ZX11 at the time. There are some really good crooked roads in that area. Met a lot of riders there that summer, about 4 years ago now.
If I remember right, a lot of the riders I met were from Iowa or Indiana, something like that. Don't recall meeting a lot of local riders. Of course the free time I had would have been most peoples normal working hours.
Good place, good people.

Back on topic. Got stopped 1 time on my 1100 Aspencade. Later part of the '80's. Was speeding in a 45 MPH zone. Don't recall how fast I was going, but it couldn't have been too serious, I was let go with a warning. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Old Wing Man
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE

Postby Old Wing Man » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:17 am

You bet that is the one, AR7, the crookedest road in the universe. I have driven it several times in my truck but so far only a partial on the bike. My old bones cant take the hundred plus mile rides without stopping any more even on a wing.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:26 am

dingdong wrote:I have been stopped three times on a wing. Once in Wyoming for speeding. Once in Montana five minutes later for speeding. Some people never learn. I know those cops had to be working together and laughing their butts off. Yup we got us another one. :oops: :lol: The third time was a judgement call by the cop. I wasn't breaking any laws. He stopped me for riding to fast for conditions. It was raining at the time. Oh well!

I meant to mention that this was back when the speed limit was 55mph. I could have received many more tickets than those two. Riding across Western USA at 55 wasn't to my liking. Riding across the mountains on an 83 gl1100i (OD) at 55 required a lot of down shifting to 4th gear.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 am

I rode AR 7 from Arkadelphia as far north as I could on my way to the Eureka Springs area.
I was riding with my ex-boss. We were an odd couple, me on my black crotch rocket and him on his Harley Softail.
We came up behind 20 maybe 30 other Harleys cruising slooooowly up the highway. Took us a while to get around all of them, passing places being few and far between.
Oh, I know why Harley riders always seem to go so slow. They don't wear helmets so the slower they go, the softer the impact if they tip over. :lol:
Anyhow, I'll have to find a reason to get back down there sometime just so I can ride that road on a Goldwing. :D
I'll make a loop so I can ride the pig trail too.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”