Cameras that ride well

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Cameras that ride well

Postby waituntilthebeep » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:12 pm

I know there have been multiple posts about cameras that you fellow riders are using when cruising around on your Wings but they are kind of spread out over a number of years. I am looking to put together a list of gear that anybody would suggest that works really well for you. There has not been a day that has passed that I have not mumbled under my breath (or screamed at the top of my lungs with rage on my mind) at some dumb cluck that is either endangering my life or the lives of others. This as well as breaking a handful of laws all in the mindset of beating everyone else to whatever unimportant destination they are headed to.I want to purchase some sort of camera and mount - bike mounted or helmet mounted so it moves to see what I see - and start collecting videos of these idiots. I am going to put up a YouTube page and do updates as I get more footage. Some of the video I would have captured could have been turned over to State Patrol for convictions if I had had it. I know there are a lot of close call or "fail" sites out there but I want to do some driver shaming in the name of motorcycle safety. I do 25k a year on my bike and in all kinds of weather. Cagers have seemingly become stupid and entitled about the roads they drive on and a number of them really should have their licenses taken away.

Let me know what you use.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Cameras that ride well

Postby Happytrails » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:23 am

I ride with a GoPro Hero 4 Black stuck to the left side of my helmet. I like that point of view very much. The main reason I bought it was due to all the hit and runs I was reading about on motorcyclists. People hit a biker and then panic. And a secondary reason was to have a little fun with it. I wore it all of 2015. Sometimes I'll admit it was a chore to set it up everytime I went riding. Battery life was only around 55minutes and sometimes I would forget to carry spares. My shorter battery life was due to wifi and the remote control. Overall I think GoPro is very very overpriced. You pay a lot just for the brand. But also GoPro makes a very nice product. I consistently get good video. Audio on the other hand is a different story but thats my fault I just need to experiment more. I would recommend this setup if its within your budget. I've considered adding a camera pointing rearward. Bikes are getting run into from behind and I'm not sure if this would help much. If I did add one it would be a lower cost GoPro or an offbrand.

As far as having a camera, especially one like a GoPro on the side of your helmet its been a non factor. I forget its even there. Really they weigh next to nothing and I dont feel any wind drag whatsoever. It might make slightly more wind noise but I dont notice it in the helmet. It doesn't get too many bug strikes, probably due to the goldwings windshield. And the 3m vhb pads fasten very securely so I'm not worried about it coming off. Just have to make sure you put it on properly. As for the offbrands they are a decent option. There are compromises but sometimes they do things better than a GoPro. Sometimes not. :D

If your a bit of a gear geek you will love it. If your a little technically challenge then it might be annoying at first. And then your mileage will vary. I still haven't settled in with a software I like for editing. GoPro Studio is free but I find it very limited. Its just enough to do a video and publish it. Sony Vegas is generally commented on as being one of the more robust softwares but its expensive. Adobe may be one of the nicest but then there is the subscription.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:15 am

I really like the Bullet HD Biker Pro camera that I have. It is attached to the bike, you don't have to do anything - as soon as you turn the bike on it is recording. Depending on the size of memory card, it can record many hours of video, and when the card fills up, it just starts overwriting the oldest files.

It will detect if there is an impact, and will automatically save video before and after that in a way that it will never be overwritten. The quality of the video is superb, and would do pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Postby Easy rider » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:43 am

I have GoPro Hero 4 Silver. Nice piece of an adult toy :mrgreen: with a lot of interesting options for photos and movies.
In a cheaper option you have cameras SJ 4000 / SJ 5000, it is an exact copy of GoPro but much cheaper and with a quite good final results. Must be very carefull when ordering through the ebay/Amazon because there is a lot of fake productions. Usually they are much cheaper as well. Original SJ camera have the same sensor as a GoPro and all accessories / attachment are the same and can be used on both types.
Last edited by Easy rider on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 am

I'm still thinking about the BulletHD that WingAdmin reviewed as well.
I like the size of it, the fact that the camera is separate from the recorder and both can be mounted discreetly so I don't have to worry about removing it every time that I step away from the bike. The recorder can be locked in the right fairing pocket and the camera tucked away.
You don't get the same moving point of view as mounted on the helmet, but it depends on what you are going for with the camera usage whether that matters or not.
I also like that it is auto start/stop with the bike, hard-wired power and will hold a 64GB card. I don't want to worry about forgetting to start it, batteries running out.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Return to “Goldwing Chat”