Selling my Goldwing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
jtstevenson
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Selling my Goldwing

Postby jtstevenson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:56 pm

It looks like I am going to sell my wing. My question is how do I find what it’s worth? I know what I would like or need. I have tried Kelly Blue book, but there is little in the way of details to enter. It seems it uses the model and year as the only factor. I have tried the Classifieds on this site, but could not get any hits (probably my inability to input the right parameters).
So, I turn to you, the experts out there. I know you are out there; I read a lot of posts even though I do not interact much.
Can I post an ad on Goldwing Docs? If so what is the procedure?
Thanks for any suggestions.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Selling my Goldwing

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Best way to find what it's worth is to find comparable listings.
Take into account the miles, condition and maintenance done.

You can check the Craigslist ads for local and surrounding areas.
You can also use SearchTempest to search a wider area.
eBay is also a source, but only use the prices on bikes that have actually sold, not the "hope for" prices that aren't selling.

As someone that also has a 1500 for sale, this isn't really the best time to sell one.
Mine has been on Craigslist (and here) for over a month and I just got the first nibble today from someone 300 miles away.
Take a lot of pictures and describe why your bike stands out from the rest (things added, maintenance done, etc).

Good luck, hope it's so you can buy another GW.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:05 pm

NVSB4 wrote:Best way to find what it's worth is to find comparable listings.
Take into account the miles, condition and maintenance done.

You can check the Craigslist ads for local and surrounding areas.
You can also use SearchTempest to search a wider area.
eBay is also a source, but only use the prices on bikes that have actually sold, not the "hope for" prices that aren't selling.

As someone that also has a 1500 for sale, this isn't really the best time to sell one.
Mine has been on Craigslist (and here) for over a month and I just got the first nibble today from someone 300 miles away.
Take a lot of pictures and describe why your bike stands out from the rest (things added, maintenance done, etc).

Good luck, hope it's so you can buy another GW.

+1 on craigslist. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:05 pm

In addition to the Kelly Blue Book you might also try NADA. Do a google search for NADA motorcycles. Make sure you have the correct nomenclature for your 98 GL1500SE. They also have place to list different accessories. Whether you are looking at KBB or NADA, actual condition can raise or lower the value, best example is high mileage, using a standard of 10,000 miles a year so I would expect a 1998 which is 17/18 years of age to have at least 170,000 miles which is high mileage for most buyers. 50,000 to 100,000 miles is generally acceptable. Has the alternator been replaced/updated, is this a unit with the 60,000 timing belt and is it new?

I know many folks have had great luck with Craigslist, but they have also had a lot of fraud problems so be very careful. Cycle Trader is another location that sells bikes as well as sprockelist.com.

I could not find any listing on this site under the For Sale/Wanted area of the forum. There are other Gold Wing forums available for posting a sale on also. Just be sure you monitor them on a regular basis and once the bike is sold delete the ad.

Pictures do help to generate interest and an honest evaluation also helps.

Remember, right now you are in a bad time of the year to sell a motorcycle so if you want to move it quick, the key is price. A motorcycle is not generally an investment, most drop in value from the moment they are purchased new and continue to decline. Frankly if I were looking for a GL1500, I would not pay more than 2,000 and would not even consider one with over 75,000 miles but I am picky and cheap.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:40 pm

Harvey01 you find a 1500 under 100,000 miles is rideable condition for $2000.00 you better jump on it before the seller come to his senses.

Mileage, tires, overall condition all play a factor

jtstevenson
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Postby jtstevenson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:49 pm

These are some good suggestions. I realize this time of year is not ideal for selling a motorcycle. Even though I live in the mountains of western NC, I typically ride year round when the roads are clear, but I know others around the country are not so fortunate.
I guess the reason I made this post was because my first endeavor at finding “going prices” for my age of bike turned up very high mileage bikes. I was fortunate to get mine through a family member. It was his third wing and due to health problems never rode this one much. I bought it in 2011 with only 7,100 miles on it. Of course because of the age there were the usual issues to be addressed, gas tank contamination, carbs rebuilt, all fluids checked/replaced. I have even replaced the timing belts. Due to time constraints, I had located a former Honda mechanic (and wingnut) who helps with all the major stuff and he checked it out. He does my annual inspections and I have him to check everything thoroughly. Today, it still only has 24,000 miles.
I have done some local advertising, but before I went to the broad sites like Craig’s list, I wanted to get some idea of where to start. I guess we all think our bikes are special (i.e. valuable). :D
Thanks guys!

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:37 pm

We cant see your bike of course but an average 98SE with that low a miles in good shape and not overly farkled could go for around $5,500 or more depending on time of year, your ad and just having a buyer interested. See some pristine examples going for maybe $6,500. Advertisers on Cycletrader tend to price higher than Craigslist mostly because dealers are priced higher on Cycletrader and then the prices seem comparible. Your in NC so its hard for me to get my head around your market but up in the Northeast people have almost stopped posting new bikes for sale. There are some dilligent sellers still posting there bikes but the same ones have been there for about 4 months or longer now. If you can afford to take time and check bike prices in your area it will really help if you have someone try to lowball you during this slower time of year. Just a suggestion :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:13 am

golden highway wrote:Harvey01 you find a 1500 under 100,000 miles is rideable condition for $2000.00 you better jump on it before the seller come to his senses.

+1

1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Goldwing Chat”