Rain Gloves

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Rain Gloves

Postby golden highway » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 pm

I have a full rain suit, my boots are waterproof but no waterproof gloves. Since I bought my rain gear 4 years ago I have used it once. It started to rain so I pulled over put my rain gear on and it stopped raining. I know the day is coming when I will need rain gloves but don't want to spend a lot on them just to haul around. Before buying rain gear I got caught in the rain all the time. What gloves do you have?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Rain Gloves

Postby themainviking » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:16 pm

I found, at a Honda shop, in Escanaba Michigan, a pair of rubber overgloves. One pulls them on over their normal gloves and they shed water and have really good wet grip for throttle and levers. They cost me $15. I found them after drying out from a torrential rain storm and riding through two foot deep water from the road drain back ups, at too high a speed till I got slowed down, but which caused a six foot wave to crest over myself and my bride. Rain gear for me was pretty good, and I was only a bit wet, but my bride suffered catastrophic soaking, and we had to buy her a new rainsuit. My gloves bit the bullet on that occasion also, ergo, the rubber gloves. I also bought new gloves. We had two more days of rain and the gloves were dry as a bone, as were my boots. Hers not so much, but her new rain suit was good. So good that when we got to Indiana, and another motorcycle dealership, I bought one the same for myself. The rain suits were Frogg Togg. I also got some Frogg Togg over boots. They are Frogg Togg material uppers with rubber soles, and roll up small just like the rain suits. They are good for when I get caught without waterproof boots.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:20 pm

I have had great luck with the gloves sold for cleaning and washing dishes. They are made by Playtex. They have several different gloves based on need. I tend to buy replacement sets at least every other year. They take up almost no space and work well. Just be sure you get oversize ones to slip over your gloves. They can be purchased at most grocery stores or walmarts.

Aerostitch also makes and sells a couple different glove rain covers but are a little more expensive: http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/glove ... ove-covers
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Most of the time, I don't wear any gloves in the rain. However last year I bought myself a pair of gauntlets, they come with rain covers and so far I haven't had to use the covers. :D
The gauntlets are something I should have bought a long time ago. Riding in colder weather is so much more comfortable.
I've had some real good rain gear and I've had some real poor rain gear. One thing remains the same, I hate riding in the rain. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:16 pm

I purchased a pair of leather insulated gauntlets a few years ago for cold weather riding. Best thing I ever did. I don't have rain covers plus I think they might be a little warm in the summer. I seen a pair a gauntlet style pvc gloves I thought might work. I might give them a try. The older I get the more I like to wear protective gear. Funny the closer you get to death the more cautious you become. When I was young and had my whole life ahead of me I did even think of wearing protective gear.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:39 am

Got to agree, I get more careful since I've got on the downhill slide. When I was younger and dumber protective gear wasn't even considered unless it looked cool.
And on my first couple bikes, if dad caught me without a helmet, I would be a pedestrian. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:54 pm

I never wore much gear either. When we were young I guess we thought we were indestructible. I were as much gear as possible these days. Want to ride for as long as possible. No rain gloves yet. In fact only gauntlets I have are heated. My warm weather gloves are short ones. But I'd like a pair of gauntlets. Cortech Scarab gauntlets look good for colder days. Not sure about dedicated rain gloves as I dont like riding in the rain. Guess it would depend on the situation but the few times I got caught in rain I didnt have far to go and had regular gloves and the goldwing kept a lot of rain off me.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:00 am

Scorpion SGS summer gloves

Cortech Scarab Gauntlets - Waterproof 100gm Thinsulated

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:56 am

Some good looking gloves right there. However, for me, price is a big factor. My retirement is enough for all my have to's but I got to save for my want to's . :lol:

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:37 pm

I feel the same way. The SGS gloves are nice and cost $79 thru Revzilla and they are a real bargain at that price. SG3's are the same as the SGS except full gauntlet and $134. And the Scarab winter gloves are $94. I really like these as an alternative to the expensive Alpinestars, Held and Dainese gloves. Sorry wasn't trying to derail your thread! :D

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:47 pm

IF I ever get rain gloves, they'll probably be Playtex brand from the Dollar store. :lol:
Unless, of course, I hit the lottery! :D
Then it will be rain gloves color matched to my new 1800. :lol:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Whoa! Didn't think that through. If I won the lottery, I wouldn't need rain gloves or rain suits. Would just check in to the local Holiday Inn until sunny skies returned. :D

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:56 pm

EXTRA LARGE dish washing gloves here. I'd get XXL if they were made.
Why so large?
They'd go over my regular gloves on chilly days.

Something I'm in the middle of experimenting with.
I have an old can of "Wood and Concrete Sealer". 'Woodsman' I think, now defunct.
After the second coat almost no water got into my glove covers and they're still pliable.
I take a piece of sponge and SOAK in on, letting it dry overnight. Little stinky until it's dry.
Using this sealer I have also noticed there's less air getting through the seams. THAT'S GOOD on cold days.

IN A PINCH and/or FRUGAL:
Carry Med to Large ziplock bags. Large enough for your thumb and one finger to work independently.
They work great as boot covers also. Use rubber bands to keep'm in place.
;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Last time I rode in the rain, I wish I would have had some garbage bags or walmart sacks with me. Could have kept my boots dry. And my socks.
Still was a good trip down to the Texas hill country. :)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”