Motorcyle jack/lift recommendations?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Motorcyle jack/lift recommendations?

Postby Happytrails » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Does anybody use a motorcycle jack and if so which one and how do you like it so far? :D

So far I've been using a 4 ton craftsman floor jack to lift my wing up when I need to take a wheel off. I've seen how others have been using jackstands on the engine/saddlebag guards along with a floor jack and it doesn't seem like a bad idea. But lately I've been wondering if its time to just go out and buy a motorcycle jack. My garage ceiling isn't high enough to take advantage of a lift and then there is the size. A jack seems like a better fit for my garage.

I've looked at Pit Bull but they seem to have been bought buy another company and they are saying you can't order a jack from then at present. I've looked at the J&S jack that people speak highly about and it does seem like a nice jack. It looks stable and well built. They K&L motorcycle jack looks very similar and well built. Have looked at the Craftsman yellow and red jacks and not sure about those. Mostly concerned about safety and not having a 950lb bike fall off the jack. I watch the videos and they dont look tippy.

Pit Bull Motorcycle Jack

J&S Motorcycle Lift

K&L 550 Multi Lift and dolly

Craftsman Motorcycle Jack (red jack) - you might want to fast forward to the end on this video

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Re: Motorcyle jack/lift recommendations?

Postby NVSB4 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:18 pm

There have been several discussions on jacks/lifts.
I found one from last Feb here.
A lot of people put down the HF jack, but I've had one for years and never an issue.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:48 pm

NVSB4 wrote:There have been several discussions on jacks/lifts.
A lot of people put down the HF jack, but I've had one for years and never an issue.

Thanks that helps. I'm like most of you and dont want to spend too much. Just want to be safe. I'm too old to have a goldwing fall on me now :D
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Simon Templar
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800BD F6B Deluxe

Postby Simon Templar » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:32 am

I bought a J&S. Admittedly, there were some more or less minor problems with it at first. However, J&S bent over backwards to resolve them.

In the final dust off....I'm happy with mine. I'd buy it again over all the other competitor products I have seen so far.

....sT
FAA, Retired -- 1982-2012

--- If at first you don't succeed....skydiving may not be for you! ---

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:08 am

I have a PitBull that I use for my GL1800, VTX1300, and CBX. Works great for all three! I am a satisfied customer! But if Pit Bull is not available I would seriously consider the J&S lift.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:09 pm

Simon Templar wrote:

I bought a J&S. Admittedly, there were some more or less minor problems with it at first. However, J&S bent over backwards to resolve them.

In the final dust off....I'm happy with mine. I'd buy it again over all the other competitor products I have seen so far.

....sT

Simon, Roger Moore portrayed the Saint on TV (1962-1969). Patrick McGoohan (shown as your avatar) was the "Prisoner", as well as several other fine portrayals. \

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Okay, I have a question, do the PITBULL style jacks work with a belly pan on the bike or does it need to be removed first ?
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Our stress about it happens when the two aren't the same. Be true to yourself and to hell with what everyone else thinks!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:37 pm

NVSB4 wrote:There have been several discussions on jacks/lifts.

As I said in that thread, I own a PitBull. Had I seen this video before buying the PitBull some 15 years ago, I would have bought the J&S Jacks lift instead.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:Okay, I have a question, do the PITBULL style jacks work with a belly pan on the bike or does it need to be removed first ?

The Belly Pan is a non-issue on either the 1500 or the 1800. No need to remove it for anything that I know of except working with the coolant overflow tank on the 1800.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:Okay, I have a question, do the PITBULL style jacks work with a belly pan on the bike or does it need to be removed first ?

Don't own either but thought I read that if you have a belly pan it makes it easier to use a motorcycle jack.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Simon Templar

Postby Simon Templar » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:13 am

raven41951 wrote:Simon, Roger Moore portrayed the Saint on TV (1962-1969). Patrick McGoohan (shown as your avatar) was the "Prisoner", as well as several other fine portrayals. \

Yes...I know. But still, very good. You win the prize. Only one other has ever twigged on that.

The Prisoner was actually John Drake. Now...if you are REALLY good, you'll understand why that is true.

....sT

bohdan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1993 GL1500
2013 GL1800
2013 GL 1800 trike
2009 Yamaha

Postby bohdan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 am

When I was researching a jack/lift, I decided to go all out and get a Handy Industries BOB 1500. Most definitely the best investment I have ever made. You mentioned ceiling height. Yes, fully elevated, I did have to do a truss modification. Cheers

newtothe1996wing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 1996 2055 miles on as of 5/2014!

Postby newtothe1996wing » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:54 pm

I bought my 96 in April of 2014 with 2300 actual miles. Had to basically restore all surfaces not painted, ie chrome or aluminium or bare steel. Mine was on a Harbor freight lift for over 2 month with all body work removed with NO issues at all. I had to replace tank and fuel pump, Major PITA to remove tank, but on the stand very stable.

raven41951
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:16 am

Simon Templar wrote:
raven41951 wrote:Simon, Roger Moore portrayed the Saint on TV (1962-1969). Patrick McGoohan (shown as your avatar) was the "Prisoner", as well as several other fine portrayals. \

Yes...I know. But still, very good. You win the prize. Only one other has ever twigged on that.

The Prisoner was actually John Drake. Now...if you are REALLY good, you'll understand why that is true.

....sT

The Prisoner followed Secret Agent so I suspected that John Drake was the secret agent that had retired and became the prisoner. I had to go online to check my facts rather than blurting it out. I ended up reading a fascinating bio on the creation of the series which confirmed my suspicion. There is no way that I could have remembered that as I grew up in the 60s. My only proof being that I don't remember (much of) them!

PK

Happytrails

Postby Happytrails » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:14 am

Thanks for the replies. Still trying to take it all in :D

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Simon Templar

Postby Simon Templar » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:40 am

raven41951 wrote:The Prisoner followed Secret Agent so I suspected that John Drake was the secret agent that had retired and became the prisoner. I had to go online to check my facts rather than blurting it out. I ended up reading a fascinating bio on the creation of the series which confirmed my suspicion. There is no way that I could have remembered that as I grew up in the 60s. My only proof being that I don't remember (much of) them!

Hmmmm...having grown up in the (very late) 50's and the 60's, I've no trouble remembering them.

However.....the prize.....

http://www.portmeirion-village.com

I've stayed there twice now. If one is a dyed-in-the-wool fan of The Prisoner, then it is truly a bucket list adventure.

....sT

raven41951
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Postby raven41951 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Simon Templar wrote:
raven41951 wrote:The Prisoner followed Secret Agent so I suspected that John Drake was the secret agent that had retired and became the prisoner. I had to go online to check my facts rather than blurting it out. I ended up reading a fascinating bio on the creation of the series which confirmed my suspicion. There is no way that I could have remembered that as I grew up in the 60s. My only proof being that I don't remember (much of) them!

Hmmmm...having grown up in the (very late) 50's and the 60's, I've no trouble remembering them.

However.....the prize.....

http://www.portmeirion-village.com

I've stayed there twice now. If one is a dyed-in-the-wool fan of The Prisoner, then it is truly a bucket list adventure.

....sT

OK. Born in '51 married in '74 (still). Three older siblings and I learned all of their bad habits. Marriage kept me from going over the edge. Father's side from Greece and Mother's English with some Welch. I guess I will add a side-trip to Wales onto the Greece/England pilgrimage that I plan/hope to make. I would not call myself a dyed-in-the-wool fan but that first shot on the website immediately rang bells. Wow.

Simon Templar

Postby Simon Templar » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:03 pm

raven41951 wrote:.......I guess I will add a side-trip to Wales onto the Greece/England pilgrimage that I plan/hope to make. .......

If you're only staying for a day or two, the Hotel is nice. However, should you decide to make more of it....one of the Cottages is definitely the way to go. Easy to lose yourself there. (or it was.....been several years since I've been there now)

Be seeing you,

...sT

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:50 pm

I have had a Harbor Freight cycle jack for several years now. Other than one of the rubber pads coming loose, I've never had a problem with it. Even when I've left the bike up for 2 or 3 days.
Oh, one other problem, one former Harley riding boss wanting to borrow it all the time. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:25 am

Simon Templar wrote:I bought a J&S. Admittedly, there were some more or less minor problems with it at first. However, J&S bent over backwards to resolve them.

....sT

Care to elaborate??

Any fitment issues with the 1500?

Dusty

Arti
Motorcycle: gl1200

Postby Arti » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:07 am

Can't compare I have only used the Harbour Freight one for the past few years.
My GL1200 has been suspended on it since Oct. doing the winter maintenance on it and the springs are extended and the tires aren't going to get flat spots on them! The only time I tie it down is when removing a wheel. I have started the bike up while suspended and it feels quite stable.
I can't get to the drain plug to change oil on the 1200 with this jack still have to use the center stand for that.
Also use the jack for oil changes on the car, general lifting and moving in the shop. Also you can suspend the bike and turn it around or move it as it rolls quite easy on the wheels and casters. Use the jack to check oil and tire pressure also.
Couldn't imagine having a bike without a lift like this.

Simon Templar

Postby Simon Templar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:00 am

Dusty Boots wrote:Care to elaborate??

Any fitment issues with the 1500?

Dusty

Dusty....

Can't really speak to 1500 applications as I have an F6B (GL1800). I suspect it will do you fine though.

My troubles were mostly not application specific, they were more in the way manufacturing errors.

The one application specific problem was that they included a two-part adapter which was clearly labeled 'Valkyrie Adapter' although I had made it clear that I had an F6B. When I spoke to them about it, they told me it would work on either. It doesn't.

They DO have a 'GL1800' Adapter which is serviceable...but needs improved upon for an F6B (I understand it's perfect for Big Wings, though). I worked with him for a period of a month or so and we developed an F6B specific adapter. At last mention, he was going to send me a prototype to try out. Have yet to receive it, so I am still using the GL1800 Adapter which I have modified to fit.

The non-specific troubles were more annoying than debilitating....

The pedal for the hydraulic bottle was not drilled properly for the set screw and therefore causes the foot pedal to not be perfectly level....listing about 10 degrees off of plumb. Perfectly useable....just annoying. Fixable at home.

The hydraulic bottle they now use is different from the one they originally designed for. Mounting it to the frame of the jack is now more difficult than it should be because of it. Again....a one-time problem that is ultimately not a big deal, just annoying in view of the price of the jack.

The jack has two anchors which must be installed on setup which allow you to keep the jack from rolling around. (The casters they use are very good heavy duty industrial units....even with 900+ pounds on the lift it rolls with barely more than finger pressure) Their design is that they welded nuts on the outside perimeter of the frame that these anchors are screwed into. (could have been designed better in my book...but it works as advertised).

When you receive the jack, one of the setup steps is to install these hand screwed anchors. On my jack, when they crinkle-coated it...they got crinkle-coat all over the inside of these nuts and into the threads, preventing the anchors from being installed. I had to go buy a tap of the appropriate thread to clean out the crud and install the anchors. Another one-time annoyance which could and should have been avoided. Price of the tap....$6 at the neighbourhood NAPA.

Other than the adapter issue...everything was dealt with easily enough. But for that price....shouldn't have needed to be.

The adapter issue also shouldn't have happened. But, the F6B being a new and somewhat still obscure model....such things happen. As I said, J&S bent over backwards to deal with it. I'm hoping the prototype adapter, when I receive it, will work as well as I think. Either way....even now the jack is serviceable and does a great job.

Ultimately...I would buy it again, in view of the alternatives.

....sT

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:20 am

Thanks for your honest and detailed reply! :!:

Although I have a 20' x 30' shop dedicated to my bike and it's 2 trailers, I don't want to waste valuable floor space to a table lift, which will be constantly in the way, when not in use. :roll:
I currently have/use a motorcycle jack much like the HF/Sears variety, but want something more stable .
Torn between a lift such as the J&S, (which appears the best of that type) or a homemade knock down wooden platform, that can be easily stored up in the loft, when not in use. Everything has it's pros and cons! :ugeek:

Thanks again!

Simon Templar

Postby Simon Templar » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:04 am

My situation is similar. Limited garage space and I needed a way to put the bike up against the back wall in order to give the wife enough space to get her car inside.

Initially, I had actually set out to find a useable dolly. Harbour Freight makes one....but it isn't long enough nor robust enough to carry a 900+ lb Wing repeatedly even if it was long enough. The great majority of the rest that I found were pretty much in that same boat...too flimsy and/or too short. I spent a lot of time looking about for something that would work. Ultimately, the best of the lot that I found were...

The MotoMover https://motomover.com

and the BikePal http://www.thebikepal.com

Both of which cost nearly as much or more than the J&S (I'll reserve comment of my opinion on price gouging). To be honest, a dolly would actually fit my usual needs better. I ultimately went with the J&S because it would move the bike around almost as easily as a dolly, but would also come in handy for working on it as well. I knew that if I did spend the scratch on a dolly, eventually I'd probably be buying the jack anyway at some point. Simple cost effectiveness.

....sT

Return to “Goldwing Chat”