Anyone use the Touratech Locking GPS mount?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
goldwings 4 ever
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 Airbag

Anyone use the Touratech Locking GPS mount?

Postby goldwings 4 ever » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Anyone use the Touratech locking GPS mounts? http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1735 ... king-Black My wife has a Zumo 660 and she has caught the GPS as it's come off the mount a couple of times and then last summer on the way to South Carolina it decided to take a trip down the interstate all by itself. It survived but looks like hell. I thought this would solve 2 problems: 1st, the GPS trying to take a road trip and 2nd, the GPS ending up on someone else's bike.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Anyone use the Touratech Locking GPS mount?

Postby Mh434 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:12 pm

Well, that sure looks like a nice mount! I haven't used one (or even seen one in the flesh), but it looks good in the video.

I'm assuming you've been using a suction cup mount. I'm not a fan of those when the GPS is not inside a vehicle, for the reasons you've discovered. As a result, I took the suction cup off a spare mount, and bolted the base (where the suction cup had been) to an open spot just ahead of my gas filler door (mine's a GL1500, though). The GPS snaps onto the more-or-less permanently mounted base & ball joint, and I just unsnap it & either take it with me when I leave the bike, or lock it in one of the lockable compartments on the bike. It's not just the cost of the unit itself (and a Zumo ain't cheap in anybody's books!), but the inconvenience of suddenly being without it on a long trip that would be a real issue for me. I don't even have a Zumo - I'm still using my Nuvi 750...with a Ziploc bag over it when it rains :roll:

goldwings 4 ever
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 Airbag

Re: Anyone use the Touratech Locking GPS mount?

Postby goldwings 4 ever » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Actually it is in a RAM mount firmly clamped to the handlebars. This is on my wife's 1300 V Star. Even with the Touratech it could be stolen, but the mount is hardwired into the bike and the cable with all connections goes under the tank and you would have to cut the cable but it would stop a grab and run situation. With the regular mount it could be gone in seconds. I'm more concerned about losing it going down the interstate. The regular mount is a bit lacking at holding it well. When I say she lost it on the highway, the mount did not come off the bike, the GPS came out of the cradle.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”