RV Toy Hauler Info

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
RFW&LMW
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing 1500 SE/1971 CB750 sold/ 1963 BSA 650 Gold Star Twin,/
1958 BSA 650 Golden Flash, both bikes long gone way in the past.

RV Toy Hauler Info

Postby RFW&LMW » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:44 pm

I am looking for info about loading & unloading a 1500 Wing off & on a RV toy hauler & also how to strap it down. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Folks,
Ride Safe:
Roy

THE GRISWALDS

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Re: RV Toy Hauler Info

Postby seabeechief » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:14 pm

The key to comfort and success rests with the height of the cargo area from the ground. The steeper the incline, the more exciting it gets. Find one with a long ramp and easy angle. Also, I found that backing out is easier when you put it in reverse and back out gently. The reverse button gives you more control than breaking, mainly because you can back out with both feet on the ground. What works for me may or may not work for you. Try a couple of Toy Haulers BEFORE you buy. I would suggest taking a "test ride" on a bad with with rain. Better to do it in the dealers parking lot than out in the boonies. Few things offer better results than practice.

Chief
Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:35 pm

I've watched my neighbor load his. He has a fifth wheel with a patio in the back large enough for his large HD. His first lesson learned was get a WIDE ramp so you can put both feet down at any given point. His first ramp was too narrow and he almost lost it. Second lesson was to put blocks under the landing gear and dolly all the way down with truck un-hitched. This way you don't have to lift the truck. This brought the rear of the trailer considerably lower and it was much easier to load.

As far as tie down, in the 1500 (how-to) DIY section on this site, left column, almost at the bottom is an article on how to properly tie down your 1500 beast.

Hope this helps.
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

RFW&LMW
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing 1500 SE/1971 CB750 sold/ 1963 BSA 650 Gold Star Twin,/

Postby RFW&LMW » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:12 pm

seabeechief wrote:The key to comfort and success rests with the height of the cargo area from the ground. The steeper the incline, the more exciting it gets. Find one with a long ramp and easy angle. Also, I found that backing out is easier when you put it in reverse and back out gently. The reverse button gives you more control than breaking, mainly because you can back out with both feet on the ground. What works for me may or may not work for you. Try a couple of Toy Haulers BEFORE you buy. I would suggest taking a "test ride" on a bad with with rain. Better to do it in the dealers parking lot than out in the boonies. Few things offer better results than practice.

Chief

Good feedback, thanks for the help.

Ride Safe:

Roy
THE GRISWALDS

RFW&LMW

Postby RFW&LMW » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Breakdancer wrote:I've watched my neighbor load his. He has a fifth wheel with a patio in the back large enough for his large HD. His first lesson learned was get a WIDE ramp so you can put both feet down at any given point. His first ramp was too narrow and he almost lost it. Second lesson was to put blocks under the landing gear and dolly all the way down with truck un-hitched. This way you don't have to lift the truck. This brought the rear of the trailer considerably lower and it was much easier to load.

As far as tie down, in the 1500 (how-to) DIY section on this site, left column, almost at the bottom is an article on how to properly tie down your 1500 beast.

Hope this helps.

Looks like good advice, thanks for the input.

Ride Safe:

Roy
THE GRISWALDS

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:36 am

I have a 34' Dutchmen that has 19' of living quarters followed by a closed off 12' garage portion in the back. It is a fairly steep incline to load the bike. I lift the back of the truck/front of the RV to load or unload the bike, because, otherwise, the bike bottoms out at the summit of the ramp. I have never had any problems in or out, as long as I raise the truck/trailer in the front.

As for tying it down - I use ratchet straps and soft straps on the front lower triple tree, both sides, and same type of straps on the frame between the front and rear foot pegs/boards. Never had an issue with the bike moving, and I have travelled 1500 miles at a time.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

RFW&LMW

Postby RFW&LMW » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:33 am

themainviking wrote:I have a 34' Dutchmen that has 19' of living quarters followed by a closed off 12' garage portion in the back. It is a fairly steep incline to load the bike. I lift the back of the truck/front of the RV to load or unload the bike, because, otherwise, the bike bottoms out at the summit of the ramp. I have never had any problems in or out, as long as I raise the truck/trailer in the front.

As for tying it down - I use ratchet straps and soft straps on the front lower triple tree, both sides, and same type of straps on the frame between the front and rear foot pegs/boards. Never had an issue with the bike moving, and I have travelled 1500 miles at a time.

Thanks for the info, sounds good.

Ride Safe & have a good day.

Roy
THE GRISWALDS

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 am

Anybody mount a wheel chock in their toy hauler? We got a 5th wheel toy hauler last summer and had the same issues. (sold the enclosed trailer because a double tow was a pain in gas stations) The bike got hung up going in and out so the dealer extended the ramp by four feet. I got a wireless back up camera to keep an eye on the bike while on the road. I would like to mount a wheel chock but am not crazy about drilling the floor. Any ideas on this??

RFW&LMW

Postby RFW&LMW » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:37 am

Pam wrote:Anybody mount a wheel chock in their toy hauler? We got a 5th wheel toy hauler last summer and had the same issues. (sold the enclosed trailer because a double tow was a pain in gas stations) The bike got hung up going in and out so the dealer extended the ramp by four feet. I got a wireless back up camera to keep an eye on the bike while on the road. I would like to mount a wheel chock but am not crazy about drilling the floor. Any ideas on this??

Just a question, but is a wheel chock absolutely necessary if the bike is strapped down properly? Both sides & front & back wheel.

Roy
THE GRISWALDS

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:18 am

Don't think it is necessary but just peace of mind when tieing down

RFW&LMW

Postby RFW&LMW » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:19 am

Pam wrote:Don't think it is necessary but just peace of mind when tieing down

Good point.
THE GRISWALDS

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:06 am

My opinion - yes. The trailer bounces around quite a bit, and without a wheel chock, the front wheel 'could' slide out from under. I have seen it happen in cargo trailers, but do not know if it was from not tying down properly. I would rather be safe than sorry. My wheel chock notches into a plate (I have three plates in the trailer) and can be moved to any of the plates. (because I have three wheel chocks that are all removeable, just leaving the plate behind bolted to the floor)

ImageImage

Pam

Postby Pam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:07 am

First trip with the bike in the toy hauler. I didn't want to drill holes so I mounted the chock to a 4 ft piece of 3/4 inch plywood, which I mounted D rings on. Loaded the bike then strapped everything down using a criss cross pattern for the plywood. Tied the bike to the factory D rings from the frame as in the DIY article. Also bought a wireless back up camera and mounted it inn the garage with the receiver in the truck to keep an eye on things the Bike bounce quite a bit but stood tall with no issues. Also had a ramp issue as it was just a bi fold ramp. Dealer put a 3rd fold in to extend the length after I got the wing in and couldn't get it out

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:40 am

Best to keep a good eye on that ramp now. You may need to tuck a block under it for loading/unloading so it can't collapse on you. I have no folds in my ramp door. Just a short eighteen inch extension on the ground end of it. I do not mind raising the front of the trailer with the electric jack to get the bike in and out. Glad everything went well for you.

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:14 pm

Make sure that when you ride it in, the RV is hooked up to the tow vehicle. Some RVs have enough of a moment between the ramp and the axles that if it isn't strapped down at the front (i.e. hitched up to the tow vehicle) that riding a 900 pound motorcycle up the ramp can cause the entire RV to tip up, and the ramp to go crashing down to the ground!

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:32 am

Good point WingAdmin. My friend had a fifth wheel camper with a patio on the back. I wasn't thinking of a smaller toy hauler. ;)
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Unloading rules:
1. Put the kick stand up
2. Put the damn kick stand up
3. Put the *%#^%^^% kick stand up.

Ask me how I learned.

4. Is as important as the first three: the front brake won't do diddly squat. If you have reverse?? I don't know how that works but if it leaves you in neutral, not good. Put the bike in first or second gear, engine off, and pull the clutch to pay yourself down the ramp. It will stop you while the front break will skid or slide once you hit the ramps as all the weight is towards the back.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Luckily for me there was nice shiny fender to break my fall.
Luckily for me there was nice shiny fender to break my fall.

Superdave501
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800 navi/ ABS

Postby Superdave501 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:27 am

I just acquired a large 5th wheel toy hauler , motorcycling RV'er and Momentum FB info had me get a Condor wheel chock . It does not have to be bolted to the floor . Let the bike out by using the clutch in first gear . Do not use front brake .
We hauled the bike on our inaugural trip yesterday and it didn't move an inch . Just strap it fore and aft and just lightly , not trying to compress forks like a harley .
The condor chock is the best thing you can do to make trailering easy . Check them out on youtube .

rustyparts
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 x 2
2008 GL1800
2010 GL1800 Trike

Postby rustyparts » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:45 pm

I am posting this to try and get some feedback on bolting down and not bolting down the front wheel chock. I read a link about a guy using a Condor wheel chock and I don't think he had it bolted down in the trailer. Those things are about $260 and Harbour Freight sells one that looks just like it for $55 and I am thinking of using one of those. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that unit. It also has tie downs on the ends of the outriggers to stabilize the bike. I am thinking I can use that and tie the bike down in back to the trailer D rings with the rear suspension compressed and tie in front from the engine guards to the front D rings and not have to bolt the chock to the trailer. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about that pro or con. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks Rusty

cpt_go
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing
2002 VTX 1800
2013 F6B 1800 Goldwing

Postby cpt_go » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:33 am

Here are a few pictures of my Harbor Freight Motorcycle chock that I modified for my ToyHauler. I used a 4' piece of 2" square sign post material painted it yellow and bolted it in place of the bar/mount that was originally on the chock. Used two pieces of 2" angle iron for clamps. This chock in now much stronger, stable and universal. I can now use it in the toyhauler or bolt in a pickup truck or trailer, I have side to side movement for adjustment by using the holes in the sign post. I've put on hundreds of miles using this modified chock and works perfect not a problem or care in the world.
I have a 2013 Honda F6B Goldwing and 2012 Cherokee Wolf Pack 27' ToyHauler
Attachments

rustyparts
2008 GL1800
2010 GL1800 Trike

Postby rustyparts » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:37 am

I appreciate your response and sharing your idea's with me. Neat idea for attaching the chock to the D rings. I noticed you had attached eyes close to the tire stop and was wondering if you used those for tie downs. Also, have you ever tried using the chock without anchoring it to the floor and just tying the bike itself down front and back.

cpt_go
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing
2002 VTX 1800
2013 F6B 1800 Goldwing

Postby cpt_go » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:20 am

The eyes that you see attached close to the tire stop were spares, I just mounted them there more or less so I would know where to find them if I ever needed them for something else, but they may come in handy there not sure never used them yet.
As far as not anchoring the chock to the floor, guess it would depend on the size and weight of your bike. My bike weighs in the neighborhood of 900 lbs. I wouldn't risk not anchoring the chock to the floor especially since this set up is so simple to use, but try it, it may work for you.

rustyparts
2008 GL1800
2010 GL1800 Trike

Postby rustyparts » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:55 am

The reason I am asking is because I have multiple bikes and alternate between them, everything from antique bikes to a GW trike and it would be hard to set chock locations for each. What I'm thinking is set the front wheel in the chock and tie the front end down to it then compress the rear suspension tieing the back to the D rings in the trailer then tie the engine guards to the front D rings of the trailer. The trike would be a little different. I wouldn't think it would be prone to shift forward and back tied to all corners. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with that.
Rusty

seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby seabeechief » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Rustyparts; how to you tie down your trike? Since I triked out my Wing, I lost the ability to put a strap on the frame just below the seat. I used to take off the tupperware on both sides below the seat and put a strap around the frame, then strap it down that way. Now there is no way to get to the frame. I guess I can run a strap from the wheel toward the front.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

Return to “Goldwing Chat”