What are you doing to prep your bike for 2016?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

What are you doing to prep your bike for 2016?

Postby Mag » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:52 pm

So, with everyone talking over the last couple of months what their "to do" list was for their bike....and now that Football season is over, I now have my to do list (showing up this weekend).....
- Thx to CycleMax...
- - - Brakes (Front)
- - - New Speedo Cable (to further identify if I still have the "Howling Witch"
- - - Chrome Windshield Panel and matching Grill
- Thx to Speedbleeder
- - - Necessary Stainless Steel speedbleeders for my 1500
- - - Speedbleeder "puke bag" and tube
- Thx to an article I findly found..
- - - How to re-align the sidecover to have it fit flush to the bag

There ya go.....just waiting for them to arrive now, lol. I "hate you all" (not really and you know that) for pushing me in to the "I can do it myself" unknown, lol.

Will let you know how I do.

So what are you doing???

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: What are you doing to prep your bike for 2016?

Postby dingdong » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:25 am

Hey Mag. I am in the process of replacing wheel bearings on the 1500. I have completed the front so far. I also have a leaking anti-dive seal so that will have to be replaced. The forks are due for service anyway so I will do both o-rings including new fluid. Other than that she is ready to ride.

Gl1000: In the process of installing new tires. Waiting for some warmer weather to arrive. Cold stiff rubber makes for difficult installation.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Postby Jim1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:40 am

I hug mine every day and tell it spring is very close.
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:12 pm

I will drain the antifreeze and replace with new, change out the oil/filter, inspect plugs, air tire pressure. fire her up and let her get up to a good warm temp, and test and see if the fan comes on..... Check turn signals and brake lights... and most of all I will check the brake fluid in the reservoirs.... :D Spin the wheels and listen...Check the final gear oil too... Brake Pads are good.. Put in new gasoline...air filters good... Fuses are good, battery is non maintenance.....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 pm

My to do list for this winter:

- Stainless rear brake line (likely won't happen - don't feel like pulling apart all that crap to get to it - I have the line, just haven't put it in)
- Fix intermittent cruise Set light
- Carb sync
- Move PC from fuse 4 to fuse 3, reserve fuse 4 for heated clothing
- Rebuild Bike PC, with external heated clothing PWM (switched positive)
- Add heated clothing outlet(s)
- Run new ground for headlights
- Lubricate center stand
- Flush brakes & clutch
- Flush coolant
- Clean fuel filter
- Replace air filter
- Replace plugs
- Replace blue dash LEDs with diffused white

squirrel
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Postby squirrel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:09 pm

I've been prepping the wing since I got it 3 years ago .luckily I can ride all year round .:-)

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Postby pgfireman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Well,

Took my '07 in for the rear brake recall, stealership installed new master cyl and fluid. They told me "Yep looks like it was dragging " funny last year they said it wasn't, anyway "Oh your rotor is shot too " OEM only $ 600 Canadian, we will see if Mother Honda can help out a bit .....
"while you are here we looked and you need new front fluid and your front tire is scalloped" (12000 km) So.... I approved the rotor, fluid and tire - the tires and brakes are my biggest worry with a 900 lb brute - she should be ready next week , gonna have to trailer her back to her cozy nest for the rest of the season since Mother Nature brought winter back. Last week I added a 12v socket (WHY for gawd's sake isn't one in it already? ) then rode her over to the shop - it was 3 Celsius and sunny.

My BIG trip this year is the Cabot Trail NS 1500 km or so away from here so I need her to be ready.

Cheers to all.

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Already installed the Progressive 412 rear shocks. I bought front wheel bearings last winter but didn't get around to putting them on...will get it done before spring. Oil change, check carb sync & pilot screws.. I replaced a head gasket last winter & I'm getting a tiny bit of coolant on the top of the engine..definitely NOT coming from the coolant tubes. I'm going to re-torque the head and see if it stops. (When I filled the coolant last spring it was less than 1/2" above the full mark....4300 miles later I'm now at the full mark)

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm

pgfireman wrote:Well,

Took my '07 in for the rear brake recall, stealership installed new master cyl and fluid. They told me "Yep looks like it was dragging " funny last year they said it wasn't, anyway "Oh your rotor is shot too " OEM only $ 600 Canadian, we will see if Mother Honda can help out a bit .....
"while you are here we looked and you need new front fluid and your front tire is scalloped" (12000 km) So.... I approved the rotor, fluid and tire - the tires and brakes are my biggest worry with a 900 lb brute - she should be ready next week , gonna have to trailer her back to her cozy nest for the rest of the season since Mother Nature brought winter back. Last week I added a 12v socket (WHY for gawd's sake isn't one in it already? ) then rode her over to the shop - it was 3 Celsius and sunny.

My BIG trip this year is the Cabot Trail NS 1500 km or so away from here so I need her to be ready.

Cheers to all.

Sorry you have to pay such a high price for a new rear rotor. There are lots and lots of them on Ebay, some with the final drive still attached for much less than the price of a new one from Mother Honda.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Waiting for March to arrive (I will be then retired and have time to work on my wing) and hopefully will begin warming up, I have no heat in my garage. I will be adding
All brake lines to stainless and flush all fluids
replacing all vacuum hoses
replace the rubber heat shield
add the shifter brace
remove all saddle bag, trunk, tail, turn signal lights and replace bulbs with LED strips inside plastic lens
grease center stand
replace plugs and fuel filter
replace blue instrument lights with defused white LED bulbs
due some rewiring from years past accessory add on lights
rebuild petcock
What ever else comes along while I have all of her cloths off and can work on her
:D :D

wingman12
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500 se

Postby wingman12 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:18 pm

How could I forget I am replacing the timing belts and tensioner pulleys. ;) ;)

koyote
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing SE-I
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

Postby koyote » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:03 am

HID kit (if I can remember which one I was looking at). Tires (this week. I am riding the intruder because I REALLY need to do the tires on the SEI). General cleanup and taking time to clean all the electronic switches.

koyote
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing SE-I
1994 Intruder 800
1987 Honda Helix (wife)

Postby koyote » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 am

Oh yeah. Researching TPS (tire pressure sensor) systems. Manually checking air is actually my least favorite daily task.

Mag

Postby Mag » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:45 am

Sorry for not responding faster, I am not one of the "retireds" here, and I have been working 12-14 hour days...ugh, anyway, my wife headed to the coast today to visit fam, but said "hey, you got this little package today in the mail......" Yea, it is a little package, but it does so much, my speedbleaders showed up. Yes, they are small, but they will do the job. Then she said "by the way, a big box showed up also......", there ya go, a big box....there is my Cyclemax stuff, lol.....then she says "I was thinking about adding a gazeebo to the backyard"......damn. That will cut in to the riding season a bit.

Jim1
Motorcycle: 2013 gold wing F6B trike

Postby Jim1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:40 am

Mag wrote:Sorry for not responding faster, I am not one of the "retireds" here, and I have been working 12-14 hour days...ugh, anyway, my wife headed to the coast today to visit fam, but said "hey, you got this little package today in the mail......" Yea, it is a little package, but it does so much, my speedbleaders showed up. Yes, they are small, but they will do the job. Then she said "by the way, a big box showed up also......", there ya go, a big box....there is my Cyclemax stuff, lol.....then she says "I was thinking about adding a gazeebo to the backyard"......damn. That will cut in to the riding season a bit.
How big of a box does it take to get gazebo parts into?
Obtaining the maximum enjoyment from operating a motorcycle is a mind game. Keep the mind on the ride from exiting the friction zone to kick stand down at the end of the ride.

Mag

Postby Mag » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:26 am

Well....I dunno....figures she is asking about the gazeebo so the box belongs to her....and it must be huge, lol.

We live up here by Mt St Helens, and we had this 18ft diameter inflate-a-pool that I build a wood ring around for border to pour sand, etc. Pool now has a leak, kids are all big and do not swim in anymore, so I am taking the pool down, can make a "deck" then the gazeebo on that.....I have a small lean-to out at the dock we have on the water, but do the gazeebo in the middle of the backyard, then it is a another place to be outside.....and less lawn to mow, not a bad idea ;)

bobbybiscuit
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby bobbybiscuit » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Well hopefully I will do the following:

Rebuild rear caliper and paint.
Refit rear master cylinder
Fit new front brake master cylinder
Fit new steel braided lines - two lines direct to caliper
Remove existing carburettors and fit replacement. If not working, strip and clean carbs and fit new seals.

If I achieve most of that i will be pleased. I know very little about mechanics but willing to learn.

pgfireman
Motorcycle: 2007 GL 1800 Navi, 2004 Suzuki V Strom

Postby pgfireman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:44 am

Follow up, in the interest in being fair to all involved, as I mentioned earlier my 07 was affected by the recall for brakes and in fact did have a "dragging" rear brake. I never felt or suspected anything from it and did the "spin the wheel test" etc to try and detect it. However, the pads and rotor had suffered some premature wear and the dealership was contacting Honda to see what was covered. Honda covered everything, new OEM rotor , pads and all of the stuff required for the recall - so, kudos to them. (I do get it - it's their problem, but I was a bit concerned they might want to share the cost etc. ) Nope, all covered. Bike's ready to go and now I wait for Mother Nature to fix the weather and some other force I don't understand to fix the Canadian dollar against the US one so I can ride south to the warmer, dryer weather!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Got to be a big relief Honda covering the disc and all. Use that money for a long trip. :D
I just got a nearly new air shock for $52. Came from trike shop. Just put a new Goodyear tire on the rear. Also greased the final drive and driven splines with moly paste.
Got new brake fluid front and rear. I've got to 're-wire all my taillights. The previous owner added a pig tail for a trailer. I don't know how the lights were working.
Still have to change out the clutch fluid, new front tire and front brakes. Clean and wax all the plastic and chrome.
Going to be warm again this weekend and I'm ready to start working on it again! :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:12 pm

-want to rebuild forks and change the fork oil but just can't seem to get motivated. the price of parts is acceptable, the price of tools doubles the cost though. will do it eventually
-played around with comms and bluetooth on the bike but haven't finished up.
-bought some oil for final drive that have yet to do.
-changed oil and filter
-changed rear brake line and bled the system. will bleed brakes and clutch again in the spring.
-topped off tank and put blue stabil in the tank and in gas can.
-installed power outlet for heated gear and bought some gerbings stuff on closeout sales
-picked up 12v usb adaptors to plug my phone in while on the bike. gonna need a longer cord so i can mount phone on right bar.
-ordered a set of cold weather overpants from Revzilla and waiting for it to arrive.
-slid some cardboard under the front tire. bike is on charger.
-lookin for a 2nd bike.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Mag

Postby Mag » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:04 am

Wait....looking for a second? Hmmm, more stuff for me then...
- Throw away the crap in the garage
- Move the other crap around that I want to keep
- Create more room and hide some of the crap in the rafters
- Looking for 2nd bike (wife said about a year ago that it was ok if I did, but I never really took her seriously....but she does not know that, lol)

Thanks for the push Happy ;)

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:25 am

Mag wrote:Wait....looking for a second? Hmmm, more stuff for me then...
- Throw away the crap in the garage
- Move the other crap around that I want to keep
- Create more room and hide some of the crap in the rafters
- Looking for 2nd bike (wife said about a year ago that it was ok if I did, but I never really took her seriously....but she does not know that, lol)

Thanks for the push Happy ;)

Lol.... sounds like things are coming together! I'll have to move some stuff around to make room too but will face that hurdle when I come to it. :D :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Mag

Postby Mag » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 am

I do have a question, could be a new topic, but maybe I will wait until Tuesday so I can add it for a shot at the contest ;)

ehartshorn
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i Interstate (sold)
2009 FSC600 Silverwing (sold)
1993 GL1500A Aspencade new to me in 3/2015 with 25000 miles on her.

Postby ehartshorn » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:37 am

Where did you find the article on how to align the side bag covers? I've been wanting to align mine and searching for an answer for a year now.

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby toanogreen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:54 pm

I took it into the dealer to have it serviced in February. New plugs, filters, fluids,etc. The mechanic even found a mouse nest in my air filter. Also, a new set of tires.

Locked and loaded! Gas and Go!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”