Bike mover.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Vk6tva
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800 Goldwing Luxury

Bike mover.

Postby Vk6tva » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:43 pm

I have a 2008 GL1800 and was wondering if there was a product that could be used to park my bike hard up against a wall. Our garage can accomodate 2 cars and my bike but as long as I can keep the bike hard up against the wall, trying to align the bike becomes very hard due to the size of the bike and the extra room it takes when on the centre stand. It would be nice to ride onto a locked trolley and then get of the bike and man handle it to a better spot. I hope this make some sort of sense.

Thanks
Mel

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Bike mover.

Postby ekvh » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:48 am

They make them just for that. Google your title.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:15 pm

Easy rider
Motorcycle: GL 1800 / 2013

Postby Easy rider » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:20 pm

I have the same one. Good quality product and very easy to manipulate with motorcycle inside the garage.

Vk6tva

Postby Vk6tva » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Thanks for the help, is there a particular model for the Goldwing GL1800 that will best suit the weight and tyre size and side stand length, I don't want to order the wrong one.
Does the wheels lock off so you can ride onto the device. Is it a one man operation.
Thanks again for the support.

Mel.

Simon Templar
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800BD F6B Deluxe

Postby Simon Templar » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:33 am

I deep-shopped all the available dollies (or at least all the available ones I could find). I needed to park against the back wall in my garage so the wife could get her car in.

The Harbour Freight model wasn't really long enough for my F6B. Sure...you could bodge it up a bit and make it work, but that wasn't what I wanted. And I read a number of reviews from various people who claimed it wasn't sturdy enough to last for extended periods of use.

Of what I looked at, the best ones I could find were the MotoMover (motomover.com), the Bike Pal ( thebikepal.com ), and the Park-N-Move ( legalspeeding.com )

MotoMover and BikePal are pretty pricey. The BikePal (which I probably would have gone with) didn't even quote a price on their website. I had to mail them and ask. What they quoted me was just shy of $500 once it got delivered. So....it was out.

The Park-n-Move is a lot more reasonable in terms of money. But....it just lifts the rear tire. You're still rolling around with it and the front tire in concert. Some don't mind doing that. I didn't want to fool with it. Also....I wonder how awkward it might be to get your bike back down off of it. Maybe not as bad as I think....maybe worse....who knows? I just had mental images of the thing skittering across the garage floor and driveway as the bike came down off the centre stand.

I ended up going with a J&S Jack ( jsjacks.com ). Not only can I move my bike around almost as easily as a dolly, but also it comes in handy for working on the bike too. Also a little pricey....but still less than the Bike Pal that I seriously had considered (prior to learning it's price). There are a few aspects of it that I wish were different...but, by and large, I am happy with it.

There are a number of jacks to be had. J&S seemed to be the best of that lot. But, there are others. (Again....online reviews seem to indicate to avoid Harbour Freight on those as well)

....sT
FAA, Retired -- 1982-2012

--- If at first you don't succeed....skydiving may not be for you! ---

Easy rider

Postby Easy rider » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Vk6tva wrote:Thanks for the help, is there a particular model for the Goldwing GL1800 that will best suit the weight and tyre size and side stand length, I don't want to order the wrong one.
Does the wheels lock off so you can ride onto the device. Is it a one man operation.
Thanks again for the support.

Mel.

It is universal model and just enough long for the GW. The weels are not locking type, but there are two (each side) handles for locking the dolly when you ride onto it. It is definitely one man operation. If you are going to order one, just be sure to order one which can take the GW weight. If I remember good, there were two models, the blue one with max load 300 kg and the red one with 400 kg max load which is more then enough for the GW (340 kg). I have it for two years and it is still like a new one, no any quality issues. GW is stored on dolly all winter and from time to time during driving season as well. If you need more detail photos with bike on, just send me PM.

Vk6tva

Postby Vk6tva » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks Easy Rider for your input, My concerns is that they have a low profile type which can be seen to one of two ways, low profile being "lover to the ground" or low profile being " lighter weight bikes". Sending the product to Australia could be expensive if I order the wrong item. The one I found in OZ is Motorcycle Mover/Bike Dolly - Ezy Bike Mover A$449.00 which has the front wheel on the ground and the dolly only raises the side stand and back week leaving the front wheel on the ground.
It looks like to me that the item you have supports the front and back wheel and stand which would give more manoeuvrable in tight situations.

THanks again for the on going help.

Vk6tva

Postby Vk6tva » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:15 pm

THanks again for the on going help.

Easy rider

Postby Easy rider » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:18 pm

Vk6tva wrote:It looks like to me that the item you have supports the front and back wheel and stand which would give more manoeuvrable in tight situations.

Yes

Vk6tva wrote:THanks again for the on going help.

You are welcome

Return to “Goldwing Chat”