New owner intro


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Asp
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:13 am
Location: Shrewsbury UK
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200AH Aspencade

New owner intro

Postby Asp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:06 am



Hi all.
I'm UK based & just joined the forum as last weekend I bought a GL1200 Aspencade with 100k miles on the clock.
Starter motor is dead so I've not heard it running yet, but the rebuild kit has arrived so hope to get that issue sorted today.
Other job for today is replacing the gearshift oil seal, as there is a film of gunge over the left engine casing & it looks like it might be coming from there.
On removing the rear wheel to fit a new tyre I noticed the drive splines were in a bad way, due to no grease, so ordered a complete 84 final drive off ebay USA.
It will be a while before it lands in the UK but reading up on here made me realise the wheel drive flange is different on the later models however so already finding the info on this forum useful.



User avatar
squirrel
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 am
Location: portsmouth uk
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100c (interstate)

Re: New owner intro

Postby squirrel » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Welcome, nice to have another member this side of the pond. You'll find this site invaluable for info /help and we like photos

User avatar
flogger
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Indiana
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Re: New owner intro

Postby flogger » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:27 pm

Yes, and welcome too from across the pond... Lots of info here and lots of friendly folks too...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Asp
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:13 am
Location: Shrewsbury UK
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200AH Aspencade

Re: New owner intro

Postby Asp » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:23 am

Thanks for the welcome. Got it running yesterday but the heavens opened before I had chance to take it for a spin. However this morning its dry & slightly above freezing so will be definitely taking it out today :)

PaulNeFl
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm
Location: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Motorcycle: 1980 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: New owner intro

Postby PaulNeFl » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:09 am

Hi folks. I am a long time biker. Being 58 years old and bought my first bike "an Allstate 305" in 1969 I have been riding a while... I currently have 4 Harleys. A 1977 FLH dresser...A 1978 FX fast Rat...A 1978 Ironhead Sportster and a 1988 Evo Basket case.... You might ask why I am a new Honda owner. Answer is I am getting older and wanted to see what a quiet highway cruiser is like... Yesterday I was at a yard sale and saw this bike in the back of a guys garage with almost flat tires and asked him what it was and was it for sale... Looked "Vintage" which is what I like...Dealers will never like me...He said he was riding it 11 years ago with a friend riding another bike and his friend had a wreck with a car that turned in front of them. His friend survived with pretty severe injuries and he parked the bike at his wife's request and never rode it again. He then said sure why not...It's for sale and showed it to me... The bike is a 1980 1100 Interstate with all the factory options as far as I can tell. 100% original covered with dust over a pretty nice original paint job. A little over 40k miles on it...I'll be picking it up Monday or Tuesday and will post some as found and after a bath pictures...Been reading posts here for a couple of hours and am putting a resurrection plan together starting with timing belt cleaning carbs and changing fluids and cleaning the tank before I try cranking it up. Any advice is welcome. BTW I am in NE Florida near St Augustine so plenty of riding time here. Thanks for reading my long winded introduction....

User avatar
brettchallenger
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am
Location: Driffield, the East Riding of Yorkshire, England
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: New owner intro

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Looking forward to the before and after pics. It is amazing what soap and water can do for the grimmest of beasts.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

PaulNeFl
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm
Location: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Motorcycle: 1980 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: New owner intro

Postby PaulNeFl » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:20 am

As found
As found
PaulNeFl wrote:Hi folks. I am a long time biker. Being 58 years old and bought my first bike "an Allstate 305" in 1969 I have been riding a while... I currently have 4 Harleys. A 1977 FLH dresser...A 1978 FX fast Rat...A 1978 Ironhead Sportster and a 1988 Evo Basket case.... You might ask why I am a new Honda owner. Answer is I am getting older and wanted to see what a quiet highway cruiser is like... Yesterday I was at a yard sale and saw this bike in the back of a guys garage with almost flat tires and asked him what it was and was it for sale... Looked "Vintage" which is what I like...Dealers will never like me...He said he was riding it 11 years ago with a friend riding another bike and his friend had a wreck with a car that turned in front of them. His friend survived with pretty severe injuries and he parked the bike at his wife's request and never rode it again. He then said sure why not...It's for sale and showed it to me... The bike is a 1980 1100 Interstate with all the factory options as far as I can tell. 100% original covered with dust over a pretty nice original paint job. A little over 40k miles on it...I'll be picking it up Monday or Tuesday and will post some as found and after a bath pictures...Been reading posts here for a couple of hours and am putting a resurrection plan together starting with timing belt cleaning carbs and changing fluids and cleaning the tank before I try cranking it up. Any advice is welcome. BTW I am in NE Florida near St Augustine so plenty of riding time here. Thanks for reading my long winded introduction....
As found front
As found front
As found
As found

PaulNeFl
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm
Location: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Motorcycle: 1980 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: New owner intro

Postby PaulNeFl » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:37 am

Loaded up and "First bath"
Loaded up to take home.
Loaded up to take home.
Got the saw dust washed off.
Got the saw dust washed off.

PaulNeFl
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm
Location: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Motorcycle: 1980 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: New owner intro

Postby PaulNeFl » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:44 am

One more Pic. all the bags and mounts...Gonna have to get the hardware re-chromed but otherwise in great shape.
Loaded up the bags out of his shed...
Loaded up the bags out of his shed...

User avatar
aj1500
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 8:05 am
Location: Savannah Ga
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
USCA# 8913
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
Bridgestone Battlax 130/70 18

Re: New owner intro

Postby aj1500 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:52 am

Wow nice find, looks like a fine bike to bring back to life
good luck with it

User avatar
OldZX11Rider
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Garfield, Arkansas
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: New owner intro

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:45 pm

That appears to be a sweet little project you've got there. All the major parts present. Only 40,000 on the clock, it may turn out real nice for you. :D

Good luck with it.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

PaulNeFl
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm
Location: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Motorcycle: 1980 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Re: New owner intro

Postby PaulNeFl » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:03 pm

So far got a manual oil filter and timing belt ordered...Will start flushing out and changing fluids this weekend ...Carb and tank cleaning next then I'll see if she might run....

User avatar
Bobsstar
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:31 pm
Location: Fort McMurray
Motorcycle: 2016 Honda Goldwing

Re: New owner intro

Postby Bobsstar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43 am

Hello from Northern Alberta Canada!
Long time rider turned to a 2016 Goldwing. Chatting on this forum helps me get through the long winters up here.

User avatar
keithg64
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Geneseo, IL
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Re: New owner intro

Postby keithg64 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:32 pm

PaulNeFl wrote:So far got a manual oil filter and timing belt ordered...Will start flushing out and changing fluids this weekend ...Carb and tank cleaning next then I'll see if she might run....



Shell come back to life and be a great bike. My first GW was an 83. Always wanted another one of that era to make into a naked cafe style wing. Good luck.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

2wheelscram
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm
Location: Central NH
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda PC 800

Re: New owner intro

Postby 2wheelscram » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Bobsstar wrote:Hello from Northern Alberta Canada!
Long time rider turned to a 2016 Goldwing. Chatting on this forum helps me get through the long winters up here.


Welcome Bob! Your "long winters"... is that eleven months of really good Ski-dooing and one month riding?!! ;) :D




Return to “Goldwing Chat”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brandwatch [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests