Interesting statistics on fatalities

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Interesting statistics on fatalities

Postby NVSB4 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:42 am

Reading through another forum and someone posted this link to Motorcycle Fatality Facts by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety that I had to share.

It's broken down into all sorts of categories, including age, bike type & size, whether a helmet was worn, etc.
Very enlightening, (even though the data is a couple of years old) showing trends from 1975-2014.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: Interesting statistics on fatalities

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Here are some international comparisons regarding road deaths https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... omparisons. These are all road deaths, not just motorcyclists.

click on Table RAS52001, it will open a spreadsheet.

I am surprised just how high the death rate is in the US - see deaths per million population column. When I have been there it always seems such a safe place to drive, big wide, straight roads, not particularly high speeds. Yet the US is second highest death rate - Latvia is the most lethal. The table doesn't include India, Russia or any African/South American countries, or China. Presumably they don't keep statistics or they are secret.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Blackngold
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Blackngold » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:05 am

NVSB4 wrote:Reading through another forum and someone posted this link to Motorcycle Fatality Facts by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety that I had to share.

It's broken down into all sorts of categories, including age, bike type & size, whether a helmet was worn, etc.
Very enlightening, (even though the data is a couple of years old) showing trends from 1975-2014.

OK---Let play manipulate and massage the stats. You know the way our Gov. does when they say you don't get a cost of living raise cause there is no inflation. Or how about when some entities talk about deaths of children due to guns but don't tell you they include ages up to 18yrs old where many deaths occur due to gang violence. Get the idea? According to the table on the link above in 2014 of 100% of vehicle deaths I am much less likely to die on a MC 13% than in a car 65%. I am also less likely to die in a MC accident if I don't possess a valid license 28% vs. 72%. If you are under 50yrs old you represent 64% of MC fatalities-- over 50 is only 36%. Females under the age of 19 and over the age of 70 must be better drivers as only 10 were killed in MC accidents as opposed to 59 killed in the 50 to 59 age group. And on it goes, think I'll get me a 18yr old chick without a Drivers lic. Should be pretty safe statistically. :roll:

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:41 pm

think I'll get me a 18yr old chick without a Drivers lic. Should be pretty safe statistically.

Now that probably will kill you but what a way to go!
The game's afoot;

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Thats a lot of information :D

The helmet info was particularly interesting. A lot of riders where I work. Get into some interesting discussings about helmets.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Blackngold

Postby Blackngold » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:31 am

:roll: Well there you go. Only 35% of people killed in MC accidents were NOT wearing helmets as opposed to 62 % killed were wearing helmets. Does that mean its safer or less likely to not get killed without, another manipulation of stats. Now I just need a topless 18yr old chick w/ no lic. :roll:

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500SE

Postby garwil » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:42 pm

The problem with the helmet stats is that the total number of fatalities is only half the equation. If we assume that all accidents have the same chance of injury, then we need to know the total number of motorcycle accidents with a helmet, and the total number without a helmet. Now we can calculate the relative effect wearing a helmet makes when in an accident. But simply knowing the number of fatalities is meaningless.
This is further complicated by the fact that some states require helmet use, and others do not. This effects the stats. Even the base accident rate is affected by helmet use. It has been shown that riders riding without helmets tend to be more careful (because they have less protection). We see the same thing with football and hockey injuries. The more protective equipment you put on the players, the more likely they are to smash their bodies into each other in more violent ways. It shows up in more neck injuries, but fewer stitches required on the head. Likewise, some people think that by wearing a helmet, they are automatically protected from major injury, and they ride accordingly. But wearing full body armor and a helmet might just make you a pretty corps. (More broken necks and less road rash)
I like the idea of getting an 18 year old girl without a license, except in my case it would be fatal as soon as my wife found out.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Where is this pool of 18 year old chicks for the overage, hmmmm...ah, jocks? My wife likes children. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:05 am

Now I just need a topless 18yr old chick w/ no lic. :roll:

Quite.

Does "topless" have the same meaning in Alabama as it does here?
The game's afoot;

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 am

Yep. Means the same thing. She's got a Mustang convertible. The 18 year olds from the upper class families have the GT model. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Blackngold

Postby Blackngold » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:32 am

brettchallenger wrote:
Now I just need a topless 18yr old chick w/ no lic. :roll:

Quite.

Does "topless" have the same meaning in Alabama as it does here?

I was "playing"/arranging the stats to demonstrate how easy they can be manipulated. I was hoping no one took them seriously, I'll leave topless to the imagination. Family friendly site here. Wouldn't want anyone to start ranting. No helmet? Maybe. :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:40 am

I agree, the one thing that struck me as I read those statistics is how much was missing. They really cherry picked numbers and comparisons in their charts, which makes the overall data ambiguous at best. It is very easy to select only a few parts of those reports and make them seem to say the opposite of what may be actually reported.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:44 am

It's still interesting (funny?) the little oddities you can find in a report like that.
:D

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:10 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I agree, the one thing that struck me as I read those statistics is how much was missing. They really cherry picked numbers and comparisons in their charts, which makes the overall data ambiguous at best. It is very easy to select only a few parts of those reports and make them seem to say the opposite of what may be actually reported.

That is what I've seen from IIHS before, they twist the stats into fitting what they want. Anything from IIHS isn't worth the ink to print it. Remember they tried to kill sport bikes at one point in time.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Postby Grindl » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:07 am

Interesting "STAT" , from the Phx. media has surfaced recently , when reporting on motorcycle fatalities on the local T.V. stations . Since I have lived here for forty years , the media has screamed from the roof-tops , repeatedly , when there is a motorcycle fatality , and the rider was not wearing a helmet . No matter the cause of the accident . He/She could have been sitting at a stop light and been run over by a drugged-up , drunk , illegal ,with no license and a stolen car , but the main focus of the report was the rider was not wearing a helmet .
Conversely ; they also do not mention that the rider was wearing a helmet in any motorcycle fatality reports , when the rider WAS wearing a helmet . So now ; we Phoenicians know that if the talking heads aren't repeating three times thru the report , "The rider WAS NOT wearing a helmet", then he or she WAS wearing a helmet , and stating that in the report would NOT fit their agenda ...As though we are so stupid as to not be aware of their stilted , yellow journalism . :roll:

Blackngold

Postby Blackngold » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:41 am

Grindl wrote:Interesting "STAT" , from the Phx. media has surfaced recently , when reporting on motorcycle fatalities on the local T.V. stations . Since I have lived here for forty years , the media has screamed from the roof-tops , repeatedly , when there is a motorcycle fatality , and the rider was not wearing a helmet . No matter the cause of the accident . He/She could have been sitting at a stop light and been run over by a drugged-up , drunk , illegal ,with no license and a stolen car , but the main focus of the report was the rider was not wearing a helmet .
Conversely ; they also do not mention that the rider was wearing a helmet in any motorcycle fatality reports , when the rider WAS wearing a helmet . So now ; we Phoenicians know that if the talking heads aren't repeating three times thru the report , "The rider WAS NOT wearing a helmet", then he or she WAS wearing a helmet , and stating that in the report would NOT fit their agenda ...As though we are so stupid as to not be aware of their stilted , yellow journalism . :roll:

You mean if someone repeats a lie enough times people will believe it? NO not here in America!
Everyone has heard a version of this-- There are 3 types of people in the world--Sheep, Sheep Dogs, and Wolves. etc... My version is that sometimes the sheepdogs get too cozy and interbreed w/the wolves. Sometimes they protect the sheep and sometimes they look the other way :o

Return to “Goldwing Chat”