Anyone using Hippo Hands?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

Anyone using Hippo Hands?

Postby waituntilthebeep » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:43 am

I bought a pair in an effort to find a way to keep my hands somewhat dry on my daily commute. Seems we have broke the record this year for the wettest winter on record. Go figure. Anyway, I bought these and put them on my WIng. As a whole, I love them. They keep my hands dry and way warmer than I had figured they would. However, there is an issue. Anything over 40 MPH and the wind pushback on them causes them to put slight pressure on the clutch and brake handles. Enough so that they activate the switches preventing cruise and activating the brake lights. I noticed the worst of it this orning when I could see my brake lights on the pavement behind me in my mirror and when I moved my hand to clear it from the brake handle, I think it was even putting enough pressure to slightly activate the brakes. This is bad ju-ju for sure! Can't be dragging the brakes. Anybody use these and have the same issues? I did read in the Hippo Hands brochure that they suggest putting some sort of brush guard on the bars to prevent pushback. Not an option for me really as they make the bike look goofy already. To add dirt bike guards I think would throw it over the top and form trumps function in this case.

Ideas? I was looking for oversized rubberized gloves to cover mine or be a replacement with heated liners before I found the HH. May be back to the search again which would be sad because these little buggers are pretty expensive.

noviwinger
Motorcycle: 2015 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Re: Anyone using Hippo Hands?

Postby noviwinger » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:45 pm

I was curious about the hippo hands and went to their site and looked up the goldwing (http://www.hippohands.com/products/goldwing) and lo and behold right on the page it says

"It is necessary to have hand guards or lever guards mounted with this model in order to stabilize the hand cover and to prevent blow back onto the brake and clutch levers."

I am not sure if you have hand guards or lever guards, but it describes your problem I think.

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500SE

Postby garwil » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:07 pm

I have not used Hippo Hands brand, but I have used Bar Mitts designed for four wheeler s.
Yes, the problem with wind pushing them against the levers was a problem.
I solved it by buying a piece of wire/rod that was about three feet long and bending it so that i could attach it across the bars. (Purchased at Lowes)
I zip tied it onto the bars so that the rod would hold the bar mitts away from the levers. From time to time I would have to bend them back out because they would slowly get pushed in by the wind.
I used them on a KLR650 as well as a Honda NT700. The KLR has brush guards, so no problem, but the NT700 did not.

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:37 pm

I put them on a bike many years ago...took them off after the first ride.
Not sure why, but I need to see my hands during a ride. I don't look at my hands mind you, but I didn't like not being able to see them.
Purchased Widder electric gloves, and have never needed to worry about warm or dry hands since.

garwil
Motorcycle: 1999 gl1500SE

Postby garwil » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:26 pm

It was weird at first, not being able to see my hands. But I got used to it.
It sure did make a difference to have warm dry hands.

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Took me a bit to get used to not seeing my hands, the buttons on the handlebars, anything under the HH like radio buttons, etc but I adapted. Kept my hands taosty warm and completely dry... just pushed back LOTS. I will come up with a temp solution... quick release or something.. and share it with the community. Just need something that is as easy to put on/ take off as the HH are. Takes 20 seconds to put the HH on. Just don't want some ugly appendage on the bars that prevent me from getting easy purchase on the brake and clutch. "Sorry officer for rear ending the car in front of me. I blame my Hippo Hands" doesn't cut it in court nor des it remove your teeth from their rear bumper... lol. Will keep ya posted.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:15 pm

They're not Hippo Hands but they are much the same. I don't have any problems with them fouling the controls.

Sid
Attachments

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Postby julimike54 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Sidcar wrote:They're not Hippo Hands but they are much the same. I don't have any problems with them fouling the controls.

Sid

So what are they?
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:21 pm

I've no idea, a friend bought them for his BMW, didn't like them and gave them to me. I thought "waste not want not" and made them fit my Wing. I had to move the retaining straps, cut them here , stitch them there and now they're not a bad fit. When I get round to it I need to drill the alloy bar ends to take small bolt to hold the outer end of the glove in place. That would make it easier to get my hands in and out of the glove.
And they do help keep my hands warm.

Sid

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:07 am

Mine are similar to these:http://www.dx.com/p/baolong-water-resistant-windproof-motorcycle-electric-vehicles-warming-gloves-navy-blue-pair-164945#.VuQvikeQiSo
I swap them between my Goldwing and two scooters. I had a lady friend that sews-Mrs. Mini doesn't- add some velcro straps so they are somewhat adjustable and don't exert any pressure on the clutch or brake handles. It was an easy modification to do and they work finer than frog hair!

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:27 am

I had the problem of cold hands in very cool (below freezing) weather also. I had a pair of insulated leather gloves that came with a plastic over-mitt that worked great. The problem was the wind would go through the gloves and my hands would get cold, even with my heated grips turned all the way up. But when I put these mitts on, I had to turn the heated grips way down. I also can wear a thiner glove and they still work. I now carry them on the bike all the time. Should work in wet weather also. Only thing I didn't like is the fact I was wearing mittens and that was a little weird.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

selahf
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I Interstate

Postby selahf » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:06 pm

I currently have a set of the 'New" Canadian Hippo Hands. ( I think it is a rip off of the Vetter Hippo Hands of the 70's & 80's )
They are not as good as the original Vetter Hippo Hands that I had back then and they do have the problem listed with contact with the clutch and break lever. (They are also not as warm as the originals that I had no problem with at all. So, I made a pair of flat bars that attach to the locations where the mirrors would be on my GL1100 if it were a naked wing. These flat bard attach with a bolt and are bent down in such a way that they run directly in front of the levers with enough room for finger clearance wearing gloves. The bar starts life looking like an L bracket, then the short leg is bent to allow the long end to run in front of the levers, so it is a single piece on each side. This works on my GL1100, I doubt it will work on a 1500 or 1800, as I do not believe these bikes have mirror mounting on the bars. If you can find a good condition set of the Vetter Hippo Hands, I think you stand a better chance of having fewer problems. Craig Vetter mentioned to me one time that they stopped making them for liability reasons, though.

CruiseControl
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby CruiseControl » Sun May 29, 2016 9:09 am

I bought covers from Bent Bike here in Lynnwood. Unlike the Vetter, there is no stiff structure to them, they're just insulated pockets. They go on the handlebars easily. I did have to open the handlebar hole of the left side to get it around the controls. But a simple strap on each locks them on tight.

Two advantages to having no stiff structure: 1) if necessary I can operate the clutch and/or brake without my hands being inside them (throttling is problematic), 2) they don't push against the controls at high speed (but see NOTE below). A third advantage could be that they're easy to stash on the bike if I take them off while I'm on the road. One disadvantage to having no structure, it takes a while each winter to retrain myself on how to get my hands into them. But with a little practice, it comes back to me.

I like them because I can wear lighter weight (or even no) gloves and my hands stay warm.

NOTE: I originally used them on my K1100LT which had the control lever problem. I had to add the brace to that bike like others have with the Vetter. I was concerned on the Wing. But my Wing has wind deflectors under the mirrors and it's never been a problem.

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:18 am

waituntilthebeep wrote:I will come up with a temp solution... quick release or something.. and share it with the community.

I did it, dang it! 2 hours of video shot initially, 14 hours of editing and a 10 minute YouTube vid to show for it. I actually decided to start a channel because I am going to do a whole slew of Wing upfit videos, mostly lighting, and there is just not enough time in the world to do 50 page DIY's to post on the forum. The DIY link is below:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35822

Return to “Goldwing Chat”