New Member, New Wing Rider

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
sonorancj
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

New Member, New Wing Rider

Postby sonorancj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Just wanted say hello.
I just bought my first Goldwing, 1982 GL1100A. This is also my first dresser. I had always rode Harleys, 1964 Pan Chopper, 1982 Wide Glide and last was a 1955 Pan Chopper, boy is this a new experience. I think I like it. I have to get it trip worthy before I'll know for sure.

The previous owner removed the air pump and installed schrader valves, the front forks leak and don't hold air, thats the second project after the carbs are done. I've got them rebuilt and will tune them, hopefully this weekend and the forks next weekend.
Have a good week,
Bob

MJSantos
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: New Member, New Wing Rider

Postby MJSantos » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, they are great bikes and really easy to work on.

rosey1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Goldwing

Postby rosey1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:45 pm

They are ice bikes but their not easy to work on... I'm constantly finding one thing after another trying to bring my 85 LTD into shape... for example today I finally got it to where I could ride it and took it for a little ride but it kept acting like it was starving for fuel so back to the shop I went. I found that it wasn't pumping enough fuel per manual so I took fuel pump off and found the inlet screen to the pump plugged and glazed with that old fuel look. I blew her out and she now runs fine. However the stereo still doesn't put out any noise(replaced it) and the front brake light doesn't work yet either and the air ride won't release pressure. Seems to be an ongoing project. It sure does ride nice tho so it may be worth it in the long run. I got it from a guy out in eastern washington and I wanted to take it out for him to see after everything is said and done but everything seems to be a lot. Anyway good luck with the new ride.

sonorancj

Postby sonorancj » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Rosey1 sounds like you and I bought about the same project. When I bought mine it only had 27,000 mikes and I thought it would last a little longer before it became a project. Hopefully I'll get it ready for the fall and winter riding season, I love Phoenix weather.

rosey1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Goldwing

Postby rosey1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:24 pm

SURE DOES, I DID GET THE FRONT BRAKE SWITCH WORKING TODAY, I THINK IT WAS OUR GOOD FRIEND CORROSION BECAUSE I UNPLUGGED IT AND CHECKED WITH METER AND IT SAID THE SWITCH WAS GOOD AND AFTER PLUGGING BACK IN IT WORKS GREAT NOW. A LITTLE DIELECTRIC GREASE GOES A LONG WAY. NOW ONTO THOSE OTHER THINGS....

Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Postby Britanicus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:42 pm

I am a New Honda Rider and Member of this Board.

I bought a 1982gl1100. I have owned several bikes but admittedly not for about 7 years and this is the first bike of this type I have driven. I drove it and tbh I shouldn't have. I thought it felt ok but not knowing what it should feel like I bought it and turns out it needs like 2k in repairs just to safety. (damn me:))

I wish I was more mechanically inclined but I hope that this site and it's members can help me as I attempt to keep this bike rolling.

luckychucky60
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby luckychucky60 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:39 pm

I feel your pain, me too! O'well live and learn. It will be fixed then you will love it!
As long as I have my health then everything will be ok

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Anyone that buys a twenty five/six year old bike can't be looking for anything but a project. Unless you are over average lucky or have spent a fortune on someone elses total resto project That's all you're going to get. If you want a turnkey fully operational bike with nothing to do, then your only option is a brand new one with a factory warranty.

I bought my 85 LTD last year knowing (full well) it needed extensive work. The PO said it only needed a stator and a pair of tires . Heck after almost a year I am still chasing bugs one thing after another. And if you are mechanically challenged (and have no tools) I would even THINK of buying a project bike.

The labor (if you can find someone to work on it) will kill you. And parts if you don't know where to look is another obstacle. To get a cheap 25 year old bike ready to ride is not only a myth it is a dream. The 85 LTD is not a difficult bike to work on , like anything else you have to know your limits

Britanicus
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 GoldWing

Postby Britanicus » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:58 am

Actually, I have been fortunate ( knock on wood) other then the repairs required for safety that is all the work I have had to do.

Thanks to the DIY articles on this site I have changed the fuel filter, During the week upcoming I plan to get the winterizing done and am relying heavily on this forum to help with that and future preventative maintenence.

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:28 pm

:) That's good Sonorancj I was as fortuneate as well when I bought my 84 Aspy almost 10 yrs ago all it needed was the maintence and safety issues addressed and I did and it turned out to be a trouble free and reliable bike. But even still it was a project bike and I bought it as is , and it was presented as a mechanics special :lol: at a Honda dealership.

It was put through the shop after it was taken in on trade. The compression was tested by them and totally checked out. I turned out that the bike was in better shape than they said it was. I paid them 1880.00 out the door. I guess (not counting my labor) I put about 500.00 in it in parts including tires. 8-) it had 77000 on it when I got it.

I got lucky it basicly needed a little TLC and that's what it got
Attachments
Side
Side
Side
Side
rear
rear
Last edited by Right Winger on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:36 pm

I too have a 82 Aspy after riding a Harley chopper for years.I wont ever go back to it as my daily ride again.

Once you get the bugs worked out your gonna love your new ride. You will find yourself going for a putt and only stopping for fuel and a Pee. These bikes are really quiet nimble for their size,I toss mine around in the twisties every chance I get and usually take the long way home even in the rain.

I have been over every inch of mine as I got to know how she worked ,and what needed to be upgraded for my own needs.Progressive springs front and rear,rebuilt the forks,steering head bearings,car alternator,heated grips,reshaped and heated seat,custom windshield,upgraded stereo,GPS,LED lights,HID headlight,and the list goes on.

Is it worth it? YOU BET IT IS!!!!!
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

luckychucky60
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby luckychucky60 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:04 am

Gives me a warm fuzzy when I hear "Is it worth it and you bet in the same sentence" . Right now my primary ride is an 09 Fat Bob, but I'm looking forward to riding the gold wing further than the mechanics house. So, far it hasn't let me down. Starts and runs without issue so far. New rubbers, new blood, and hopefully a renewed spirit. It made me sad to see it just sitting in that dark garage. :lol: Your bike looks great in the above photos.
As long as I have my health then everything will be ok

evelynz8735

Postby evelynz8735 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:59 am

Britanicus wrote:I am a New Honda Rider and Member of this Board.

I bought a 1982gl1100. I have owned several bikes but admittedly not for about 7 years and this is the first bike of this type I have driven. I drove it and tbh I shouldn't have. I thought it felt ok but not knowing what it should feel like I bought it and turns out it needs like 2k in repairs just to safety. (damn me:))

I wish I was more mechanically inclined but I hope that this site and it's members can help me as I attempt to keep this bike rolling.

They are ice bikes but their not easy to work on... I'm constantly finding one thing after another trying to bring my 85 LTD into shape... for example today I finally got it to where I could ride it and took it for a little ride but it kept acting like it was starving for fuel so back to the shop I went. I found that it wasn't pumping enough fuel per manual so I took fuel pump off and found the inlet screen to the pump plugged and glazed with that old fuel look. I blew her out and she now runs fine

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:40 am

You'll get it fixed up I'm sure of that, and for the price you paid for it, man... You have a bike that if running right will go at least 100.000 miles or 3...Just like a little Honda car does.. They get pretty warm in the hot summer months...I finally got mine to where all I do is ride that sucker and gas it up..I had a Kawasaki Nomad and I found myself riding my 81 more often so I sold the Nomad..I'm totally in love with it too...It's going to the grave with me..

pudgyhd
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby pudgyhd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:01 am

Hello all! My name is Pudgyhd and I live in Goddard, Ks. I just bought my first wing this week after being off 2 wheels for a couple years. Got a 1984 gl122 aspencade with 47k miles on her. Pretty good shape for the age. Dealer replaced the Stator already and got her serviced up. Hope to learn alot about these bikes on here and would like to do some of the work myself and save some loot. Keep riding safe everyone!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:17 pm

pudgyhd wrote:Hello all! My name is Pudgyhd and I live in Goddard, Ks. I just bought my first wing this week after being off 2 wheels for a couple years. Got a 1984 gl122 aspencade with 47k miles on her. Pretty good shape for the age. Dealer replaced the Stator already and got her serviced up. Hope to learn alot about these bikes on here and would like to do some of the work myself and save some loot. Keep riding safe everyone!

Hey welcome, man... you just hit it big finding this site because you will learn alot of interesting facts about your wing, you will read about mistakes guy's have made, what to look for if there is electrical issues [priceless] and so many how to articles, the ones by WingAdmin are outstanding [their all great]..Then you'll get a guy like me who asked too many questions because I want to know this and that about everything, I was taught this a long time ago, knowledge is power, so I'll take all I can because I don't wish to be stuck somewhere broke down and not know how to get myself unstuck..Check all your electrical connections everywhere you can think of...Good luck and I wish you lots of years of good enjoyable riding..Littlebeaver

pudgyhd
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby pudgyhd » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks littlebeaver. Glad to know I got help. You ever come does to Wichita area let me know. We can do some riding. Ride safe!!!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”