New bike lift

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
waituntilthebeep
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750
DOUBLE DARK SIDE #1467 on Michelin Primacy and BT45

New bike lift

Postby waituntilthebeep » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:24 pm

I was looking at buying a service lift for my Wing and was put off by the prices of them. I am a fabricator and big rig mechanic by trade so I spent some time scrounging spare parts and am building my own. So far an International cabover, a building products rooftop delivery conveyor and the sloppy seconds of a Moffett forklift have donated their parts to the project. Now if I could just get a truck to say, "I just don't need that $300 piece of nifty aluminum diamond plate anymore so you just go ahead and take it". Don't think that is ever going to happen though . The only time I ever remove and don't reinstall a piece of diamond plate is when it is unusable. Guess I will have to pony up for that but hey... I will only be $310 into the project so what they hey? Right? Anyway... here it is as a rough frame assy and when I get it planted and decked, I will update the thread. It is currently a hand pump up and down but I also have a spiffy liftgate motor that is unacceptable for use as a liftgate setup but will do way more than I need it to for the bike lift - Is rated at 2700 psi and only outputs 2350 so customer wanted it replaced. Works for me. Tommy Gate is adding to the mix now I guess. I don't toss much. Got too many projects to complete. lol

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: New bike lift

Postby minimac » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 am

Anyone can plop down cash get buy one. I'm like you, I get a lot of satisfaction out of scrounging, or "repurposing" and building my own stuff. It keeps me out of trouble, stimulates the grey matter, and, the main reason, I'm "frugal"! Thanks for sharing.

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Looks good and solid, Half the fun of these projects is the planing and material search, plus the reward in the end is very satisfying :D

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:56 pm

Personally, rather than the diamond plate, I'd use heavy-grade expanded metal mesh. Gives lots of grip so the tires don't slip around, oil etc. goes right through, if it's welded on all the way around it's incredibly strong, and...it's cheap!

I've made a few big-bike ramps & carriers that way, and the GW doesn't even begin to flex it. More money left over for farkles that way, too!

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:49 pm

Expanded metal... Yep, I like that idea! Some good heavy gauge stuff would do the trick and you are right, it is cheap cuz you are buying mostly air. Thanks for the idea.

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:09 pm

I like the idea, I never did think about building my own. But, after looking your pictures my mine is starting to work on what it would take to build my own.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:58 am

Looks good so far, and the expanded metal is a great idea. Looking forward to the finished photos with your Wing planted safely on top of it! :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:47 am

I love it. I might have used angle iron for the front uprights, as you cannot put a cross brace like on the rear ones. Not being able to put my hands on it and test the side to side stability, perhaps that much strength with angle iron would be overkill. You did a nice job.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

waituntilthebeep
Black and Silver
Previously:
1989 GL1500
Wineberry Red
'01 Shadow 750

Postby waituntilthebeep » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:02 pm

themainviking wrote:I love it. I might have used angle iron for the front uprights, as you cannot put a cross brace like on the rear ones. Not being able to put my hands on it and test the side to side stability, perhaps that much strength with angle iron would be overkill. You did a nice job.

Thank you! There are actually cross braces on both sets of uprights. I really should have put more pictures with better angles on here. The cross braces are 1/4" x 2 strap and both sets of uprights are big "H" setups. The base and the platform actually sit 1/4" apart from each other because the cross braces sit between them and when the stand is fully collapsed, the platform sits on the cross braces... and a set of filler blocks that were not on there when I took the pics. The uprights are 1/2" x 2" strap and that thing is SOLID and way overkill. I dont like the idea of my bike laying in a heap on the ground though so overkill is okay. I built a lousy diagram that shows the basic design and is no where near to scale. The thing is designed so that you run the Wing up on it, set the center stand then clamp the front tire with a clamp I have not designed yet. When you raise the lift, the rear tire basically hangs over the edge because the ramp drops out from under it. I have plans to add some sort of something-or-other that will allow you to keep the ramp elevated under the rear tire and have some ideas but really, I can't see how it would be of much benefit except to hold tools. For the most part, you want the bike on the center stand anyway just for stability of it and the rear wheel is not on the platform at that point so there is really no reason to have the ramp elevated. If you are taking the front end apart, I would still have it on the center stand and have a scissor jack under the belly pan the lift the front wheel off the deck. There will obviously be a few straps involved depending on how it is arranged on the stand at the time. It's still a work in progress for sure.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”