Aftermarket GPS Suggestions

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Aftermarket GPS Suggestions

Postby 2008retiredplb » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:24 pm

Looking for suggestions on which GPS to purchase. Also suggestions on where to get one, internet or store.

I had a Garmin Zumo 550 but it gave me troubles over the few years I used it, I had to send it in for a replacement once, then it finally quit working. It starts up then the screen splits and the top is on the bottom, bottom on the top. It will not compute a route or it shuts down. I thought it was quite overpriced for the service it gave. It didn't have enough memory to install all the 48 US states and Canada. Made it difficult to map out a route and then find it later. I use an iMac computer and tried to use the Garmin mapping programs, but could not understand their directions to make the downloads.
I think you should get many more years of service from a unit that costs as much as a Garmin does. Also it would be better if the directions were more user friendly. That is why I switched from Microsoft to Apple. I couldn't figure out how to do some relatively simple things. Don't have that much trouble with my Apple computers. I would use my iPhone 6 but I haven't found a mapping program that works well so you don't have to be connected to a carrier all the time.

I need to replace it soon as I will be needing it for a trip to WingDing in Billings, MT.

I really don't want to pay $700 to $800 or more for the newest models but looking for something in the $300 to $500 range. I don't really need it with XM radio capabilities. I have found Zumo 660's & 665's on line but also a Zumo 395 all have lifetime maps. But do they all integrate into the Honda Goldwing (I have the GPS integrator installed and it works with the 550 model) so I can hear the voice prompts in my helmet headset. Also have they made downloading map updates easier than before. I will be mounting it in a motorcycle mount.

Also is anyone interested in my used Zumo 550?

"Love to ride and ride to love"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Aftermarket GPS Suggestions

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 pm

I've mentioned a few times how much I love my TomTom Go 720. I have several. They're quite a few years old, but they still work great. They were quite expensive back in the day, but you can buy them used on eBay now for anywhere from $30 to $130. They have an audio jack, so you can plug the GPS Input into them.

Not waterproof, but I carry ziploc bags that I just put over the thing if it rains - it's gotten wet quite a few times and never had any issues with it, it just keeps trucking along.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 pm

I buy the cheapest Garmin I can get, usually at Walmart. Not always 100% accurate, but they get me in the ballpark.

I normally get about 2 or 3 years out of one, (if I keep it dry) then I give it away and buy a new one. Usually less than a hundred bucks.
Don't know if its got a sound Jack or not, probably doesn't at this price. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Postby cardinal » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Are there any new units that cost less than $300 and have an audio Jack?

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Probably not in the Garmin Nuvi type I have. But I did get one for $89 once at an electronics store in Nashville, Tn. :D

You don't get a lot of extras at that price.
:lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:19 pm

I just checked, no jack there. :roll:

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 pm

I have had great luck with a Garmin Zumo 660 on my Wing. the biggest failure of the unit is really a failure of me knowing how to do things! Not a big problem though as I prefer to use maps.

I like the Zumo because it is waterproof and shock resistant designed to work primarily on a motorcycle. My unit came with a power source to hook up in a car and I also use it there. It is very easy to move from one to the other.

As far as working with the Integrator unit you have(I assume it is from J&M) your best bet is to identify the GPS unit you want and ask the GPS manufacturer and/or J&M about them working together, I have the Kennedy Cellset hookup for mine to go through the Wing Audios system.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:37 pm

I would suggest you look on eBay for a Garmin Nuvi 765T
Has all the features you are looking for (and more!), reliable and easy to load your custom routes to it using HD Ride Planner.(based on Google Maps) Been using it since the beginning of 2011 and have well over 100,000 mi on it.
If it starts to rain pretty hard, then I cover it with a Zip Lok baggie, as the GlareStomper sun shade protects it pretty good!

I liked mine so well, I bought a cheap spare (<$65) off of eBay and use that one in my truck! P^

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Postby Rednaxs60 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Dusty Boots wrote:I would suggest you look on eBay for a Garmin Nuvi 765T
Has all the features you are looking for (and more!), reliable and easy to load your custom routes to it using HD Ride Planner.(based on Google Maps) Been using it since the beginning of 2011 and have well over 100,000 mi on it.
If it starts to rain pretty hard, then I cover it with a Zip Lok baggie, as the GlareStomper sun shade protects it pretty good!

7425460590_b3bc5359c7_c.jpg

I liked mine so well, I bought a cheap spare (<$65) off of eBay and use that one in my truck! P^

Nice setup!! Have an idea for my'85 LTD.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:11 pm

i picked up a garmin 660ml form the garmin factory outlet store last fall. my only use of it was on a drive ( in the van ) to north Ridgeville, oh. I've driven and ridden there enough that I don't need a gps to get me there but I used it to see how it would get me there and how fast it would reroute me if I went a different way. I was and am happy with it with the limited use I've had and it will be mounted on the mighty ST1300. I use an old Magellan 2200 on the wing, time to upgread this unit for something with newer and lifetime maps but it does get me where I'm going. I put it in one of those waterproof gps bags for m/c and bicycles, got it off ebay and like it better than using a sandwich bag
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

jim mccarty
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing Se/CSC trike

Postby jim mccarty » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:40 pm

I have a Garmin Nuvi 680 I picked up off Craig's List for $20.00. Then found someone wanting to get rid of a new GPS input device for $30.00. Still need to get a mount for it & update the maps & I'm good to go.

Anyone know what it costs to update maps?

Inbryne
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100 aspencade

Postby Inbryne » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:24 am

I have given up on GPS units. I now use my IPhone with a TomTom app. It has a audio jack to feed my intercom system, it has my music already on it, I can even play the Internet radio apps. The Tom Tom apps updates weekly so I always have the most recent data. I keep my Iphone plugged in with the power cord so I do not have to worry about the battery running out. My weather proof, shock proof cover and holder leaves me worry free.

habernaro
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing ABS

Postby habernaro » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:05 pm

I have the Garmin 665. I believe it may be discontinued but it offers everything you would need on a 2003 or older Goldwing. It obviously provides GPS maps, but it also allows you to have at least 4 gigabyte of music and the ability to have Sirrus/XM radio all in one unit. Although you can use it in your car, you will have to buy another antenna to get the Sirrus/XM radio function in your car. Unfortunately, to play Garmin 665 music through the car radio system, you will have to invest in a FM modulator. These can be found under $20.

2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:54 am

Well there has been a wealth of information and suggestions from board members. Thanks for all of them. I finally broke down and bought off eBay a new complete Zumo 660. Got it at what I considered a good price $328 with free shipping. Also bought a sunshield visor and a weather cap. When I received the Zumo I found it had a weather cap in the box. So It looks like I may return the weather cap, or keep it as a spare. I just hope it gives better service than the Zumo 550 I had.
"Love to ride and ride to love"

john3xv1
Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing
1998 Valkyrie

Postby john3xv1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:14 pm

I need a sun visor for mine. Can anyone recommend some good brands?

Mortimerr
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Postby Mortimerr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:26 pm

Kind of off topic, but have you thought about how you're going to mount it? I also have a Zumo 660, and while I find the screen dim and it's a PIA to read with polarized sunglasses, it doesn't seem to be too bad. When I purchased it, I wanted a mount that would not require me to look away from the road. After much searching I found the EZ-GPS mount (http://www.ez-gpsmount.com/). I was a little skeptical on how well it would hold up being mounted on the vent, but after several long trips, it's held up well. It does vibrate a bit on rough roads, but overall I was surprised how steady it was. I was able to route the integrated cord around the backside of the mount and along the bottom of the windshield to the left mirror, behind the mirror and into the left fairing pocket. That was the worst part of the install since I had to remove the mirror to route the cord, and it was a tight fit. I also purchased a 2-pin connector that would connect to the aux power connection in the left pocket and soldered that to the GPS cord power leads. Finally, the audio out was able to plug into the aux-in plug, also in the left pocket. I didn't try to connect anything else. All-in-all, I'm happy with the install AND the fact that I didn't have to drill any holes.
Attachments
Drivers View
Drivers View

rhelder
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A

Postby rhelder » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Instead of using a GPS I use my smart phone (Apple iPhone 6) with Google Maps. I plug the audio out from my phone into my auxiliary audio. Google maps has voice instructions that are very clear. The only disadvantage to this method is that I cannot listen to my stereo while the auxiliary function is being used. I also used this setup with an iPhone 5 as well and it worked well.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:55 pm

john3xv1 wrote:I need a sun visor for mine. Can anyone recommend some good brands?

Glare Stomper. Have a look at the review here: Glare Stomper GPS Hood

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Like that glare shield, and it looks a lot better than the cardboard and duct tape shield I made for mine. :lol:

It only lasted for one trip. Cardboard and rain don't mix well. :cry:

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:48 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
john3xv1 wrote:I need a sun visor for mine. Can anyone recommend some good brands?

Glare Stomper. Have a look at the review here: Glare Stomper GPS Hood

Times 2, love my Glare Stomper and the are not expensive... Big Garmin fan too, I would not have any other make of GPS...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

copperdog
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing

Postby copperdog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:56 am

My suggestion is the Garmin Nuvi 550, if you can find one. Its waterproof and glove friendly. I've used this little gem through 2 US west coast trips (from south east Ontario) without a hitch. My only complaint (and it's not much of an hindrance really) is the size of the screen compared to some other models.

Initially I just struggled along with direct programming of the device however the last couple of years I've used Garmin's Base Camp software. With Base Camp you can plan an entire trip intersection to intersection. We lay out each days plan as separate routes and upload all the routes to the GPS's micro SD card. With limited memory in the GPS itself I simply delete the last route and import the next one from the SD card as required. Often we set up in a town to do multiple looping tours over a week so we need to be flexible. In those cases I bring a laptop and can quickly lay out the next days route in an hour or less the night before.

I like this 550 so much that I'm putting it on my newly purchased GPS equipped GL1800. Theres no comparison to the painstaking interface on the bikes GPS.

The trick is to find one.

mleej56
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 Limited Edition

Postby mleej56 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:41 pm

I use the Co Pilot app on my iPhone 6, it gets me where I want to go and doesn't need data to work. You down load the area of the country you want and then it works like a regular gps. One thing to watch out for is it will take you the shortest distance. I think I payed around $10.00 for it.

CruiseControl
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

Postby CruiseControl » Sun May 29, 2016 9:54 am

This may be off topic, but I'm more interested in GPS features. Weather-proof, frequent updates and anti-glare are important. But it seems to me, if I'm going to invest ($300+) in something to route my trip I want 2 things: 1) EASY input to determine/choose my route, 2) vehicle aware settings.

EASY input means point-to-point routing plus the ability to add via points. Obviously, most do this on some level. And I probably need to use some kind of mapping software and download the route to get any kind of sophistication. My issue with that is that my route may (probably will) vary while on the road. I need to be able to change the route on demand without carrying extra equipment.

Vehicle-aware means that the last thing I ever have to think about is whether my route includes a gas stop at the appropriate time. IMO, this CANNOT be planned ahead of time. Rerouting and detours, changes in conditions (riding against the wind, for example) means that calculating a straight line for 2 hundred and XX miles at home on my computer is useless. If I do try to do that, the journey is less fun because I have to keep in mind where the planned stop was, rather than where it could be now that I'm on the road.

As to that last, how many times have you heard Navi say "Drive 450 miles and turn right."? I have to admit, after I laugh out loud at that ridiculous command, a big smile washes over my face... I've just been reminded that I'm on the open road again. :D

What features are required for a truly useful GPS? One thing I know that I hate about Navi is when the "next turn" is simply a fork in the interstate rather than a real turn! What else are you looking for?

LittleGoldy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100, 1982 GL100 Aspencade (parts bike, ugh got shafted on ebay) 1983 XJ750 Seca Sold, 2003 Kawasaki ZX1R Sold, 1980 GS750E Sold, 1973 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500 (first bike ever) Sold

Postby LittleGoldy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:04 am

For the LIFE of me I simply cannot understand WHY anyone would be so interested in "buying" another useless tool. Everyone of you have a smart phone (Yes/No?) and for a FREE APP with Zero cost, WAZE (my preferable choice due largely to many ALERTS i.e. Animals on or near roadway, POLICE REPORTED AHEAD (LUV That one) or perhaps Pothole reported ahead and just a "few" of the most useful ones for we the 2 wheel community. AND your Smart Device is BLUETOOTH Capable meaning constant info in that earhole inside your helmet (ATTGATT , WHERE THE HECK IS THAT THUMBS UP EMOTI) :? :o

If you dont like the interactive mode you do not HAVE TO report anything,but, most cagers do and you too will find them useful if not almost annoying at times. Google Maps on the other hand may or may not always link to Waze's features to alert you to those pesky boyz in blue with their Kodak's employed to further the (IMHO) extensive taxation of the general public, ( i know they perform a useful service to keep the streets safer, BUT, I'm just a rebel at heart....LOL) :D

WAZE or Google Maps is FREE, UPDATES CONSTANTLY ( READ AS FREE ) and also Tracks your trip,location in memory without a live networking signal (also SAT linking) and finds the signal as soon as one is available should you be in the Great White North (Read as western less densely populated areas that do not support enough revenue generation to even put up a Wireless Devices Signal Tower). And even some smaller eastern coastal communities (notably eastern NC near the coast, personal experience). :arrow: :P

And lets not forget a simple sturdy Device Holder for 40-100 bucks is so much more painless than another GPS, Mount, buying updates every year (EXPENSIVE). I sort of thought that by now WAZE/Google Maps would have put the Mike Tyson First round KO to the GPS Selling community, but, NO, they just invented MORE ways to separate you from your money. Everytime I happen into Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Brandsmart (etc..) and trollop through the GPS "Showcase" I am simply amazed to see people pricing, debating features, and models when its ALREADY FREE if YOU know where to find it. (Bluetooth and Mount 100-150 smackeroos)

Don't be led to the slaughter. FREE Yourself with FREE(DOM).

Thus, I for one simply cannot understand mans desire to light $100 bills on fire for mere pleasure, at this lackluster Gold Wing Navigation feature ( or any other 300-900 $$$ GPS Device) when the technology exists for FREE !!!

My $.02 worth.............Enjoy
You can do anything, but not everything.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. :ugeek:

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:55 am

A cell phone with GPS app is totally useless to me. I live in Canada. There are no decent roaming fees/packages available for me to convince me to use my cell phone in the USA. Period. So it has to be a GPS unit when in the USA. I only bring my cell phone for an emergency use and dread more the raping USA fees they will charge me if I even turn the damn thing on. Believe me, there are horror stories of the charges they can inflict on Canadians who dare to use a cell phone from Canada in the USA. You would think we were from Nigeria or some other wicked place.

Now that my rant is over, I simply use my car Garmin GPS. I put a bit of spit on the suction cup and stick it onto the windshield and it stays put fine and dandy. If rain, I simply unhook it. Easy peasy. Cheap too on eBay. If I lose it, pshaw, just get another one. I don't care for Greta Garmin screaming in my ears, I just watch the map unfold when I need it in a city and follow the arrow.

Don't care for traffic and stuff, I just ride and take that crap with the good. I figure all highway departments want to keep vehicles moving, don't sweat the details.

After all, what the heck did I use with my 1100 and 1200 Goldwings? And cars before GPS?

Oh yes, I also have a wonderful 10" analog GPS screen (it's called a map holder) and it always works, even in the pouring rain.

Remember the ride is the adventure and the adventure is the ride.

MOBILIS IN MOBILI

Return to “Goldwing Chat”