'Restricted Item'

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Paul Narramore
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 GoldWing

'Restricted Item'

Postby Paul Narramore » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:43 am

This week I bought through eBay a pair of shocks for my GL1000 from an American dealer/breaker - Trent's Motorsports - and was informed that it would be posted to me in the UK through the Global Shipping Programme (GSP). Yesterday a received a number of emails, firstly from PayPal saying that my 'dispute' with the seller had been resolved in my favour and I would be refunded the $40. But there has been no dispute. I contacted Trent's to be told the package was already dispatched and on it's way. Then I finally got another email to say that the packet had arrived at GSP's depot and the package was then regarded as a RESTRICTED ITEM and returned to the seller. At the moment, I can find no answer as to why a pair old old shocks would be regarded as 'restricted'. So far, and without further explanations, it's a puzzle. :?:

Unless this is resolved, it looks like I am still on the looked out for a pair of original shocks for my 1977 GL1000. :(

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana" (Groucho Marx).

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, is very dark" (Groucho Marx).

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: 'Restricted Item'

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:31 am

Are they gas filled and under pressure? I know there are restrictions on carrying such items.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:33 am

I've had gas shocks delivered, complete with external declarations to that effect for Customs, etc., and never had a problem. I very much doubt the shocks themselves were the issue.

Instead, I suspect that somewhere along the way, two entirely unconnected items have become mixed up (the mysterious PayPal dispute leads me to that conclusion), and it's entirely possible that the other item (in the disputed transaction) was the "restricted item" - not yours.

If it were me, I'd ask the original seller to cancel the original transaction and start anew, with a PayPal payment, new tracking number, etc. That would reset the process, and get you back to a level playing field again.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:34 pm

Yes, MH354's proposal makes sense.

I've checked on restricted and prohibited goods, and unless the shocks were made in a foreign prison there are no controls over their import.

http://www.upu.int/uploads/tx_sbdownloa ... clesEn.pdf
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Sally
Motorcycle: 02 goldwing

Postby Sally » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Sounds to me like your getting scammed :ugeek:

Paul Narramore
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 GoldWing

Postby Paul Narramore » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:27 am

I doubt it. He trades as Trent's Motorsports of Hopedale, Illinois and calls himself "blown4cylinder1366" with a 99.1% positive feedback. What does irritate me is the awful customer service. One single line email - "I posted them and no nothing about a dispute". And the same shocks are back on eBay. No explanation. No "Let's try again". Strange. Maybe he can't be arsed?

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana" (Groucho Marx).

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, is very dark" (Groucho Marx).

Return to “Goldwing Chat”