Bike goes dead and fuel tank capacity

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

Bike goes dead and fuel tank capacity

Postby jsams » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks to all who responded to my problem with my 1990 Goldwing:
"Just got my 1990 Goldwing last Saturday and this problem has happened 7 or 8 times now. I will be riding down the road and the bike just quits. No electrical indications on the dash either. I pull in on the clutch, turn the key OFF, then back ON and the dashboard lights up like normal, I release the clutch and continue on down the road until it happens again. Any ideas on what my problem might be or what I should check? Or should I just take it to a good cycle mechanic?" I did check all the wiring that I could get to, checked connections, and tapped on the "kill switch" and the bike still ran good. I had the seat off and looking around but did not know what a "bank angle sensor" looked like or exactly where to look for it. If I find it, how do I test it or do you just replace it. I then took the "Wing" for a 25 mile ride and it ran like a top. This newbie needs a little more help. Another question I have is about the size of the gas tank. My owners manual say that the fuel tank capacity is 6.1 gallons. I have ran the the gas gage needle down to sitting on the "E" and it still only takes 3.9 gallons. Does that mean I still have 2 gallons in the tank or is the capacity wrong? Thanks for any help.

jsams

Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Re: Bike goes dead and fuel tank capacity

Postby detdrbuzzard » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:27 am

you seem to have a bad tilt sensor
'84 aspencade, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
.... william
detdrbuzzard

Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc

Postby lhelber » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:38 pm

What was your fuel level when the motor quit? I have seen the 1500s have an issue when the fuel pump starts to go bad and cuts out when the tank gets around half empty.
lhelber

Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Navi
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby viragoxv » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:39 am

Sounds like the Bank Angle sensor.... located under the rear part of the seat is the original, probably never got replaced. Have your local shop check the VIN to see if Honda did the warranty on it. Mine was doing the same thing and I figured out what it was but didn't know there had been a recall on the Early 90 model Gl1500's until one shop in Arkansas changed my tires while I was on the road... Mind you over 16 years later it's noticed in the records... I bought the bike used... Honda replaces that part for no cost to you if it's one of the bad sensors..
Fuel Tank///

When I first got my goldwing 1500 it seemed like it took me no time to hit empty, I'd panic and stop only to find I still have more than 2.5 gallons or so left in the tank...called previous owner he said yeah it came that way... it would go well beyond the Red line past E before it needed gas; so I took a chance with some friends with Gl1500's and rode until it went below E, below the redline, and I had right at 180 miles or more then filled up with 5.5 gallons...

Your's wouldn't happen to be an Interstate model would it.... mine is

chuck
viragoxv

Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Interstate

Postby jsams » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 am

Yes, mine is an Interstate. My problem has been solved and it was the bank angle sensor. Thanks to everyone on the forum who replied, I received enough information and background and I called on of the few Honda shops in the area. He checked the VIN and said "Nope, it hasn't been replaced. Bring it in and we will take care of it." Its been great riding the bike and not worrying that it is going to die on me. So, I will probably ride until the snow flies and here in Wisconsin, that might not be too much longer. About the fuel tank capacity, well like you I took a chance and kept riding and when the needle just dipped below the "E" the Low Fuel Light came on. When I filled up, it took a little over 5 gal. Again, the bike is a great ride. I wish I had gotten it sooner. Thanks to everyone who replied.
jsams

Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Postby BikerGuy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Same thing happened to me. I ran the fuel tank very low. The problem with mine was, the fuel filter. You see, the bike will suck up the gas, and it has to go through the fuel filter. If it's not a clean filter, then you won't get enough gas flowing through and it will seem to die on you. And sometimes it does... Then when you start it up again, it'll fly until fuel gets backed up because it can't get through the filter.

Change the filter. It should be located where you fill up the tank. You can get a filter at the auto store for a couple bucks. Let me know if that's what it was! I'm almost positive it is the filter because what's happening with your bike sounds just like what happened with mine! :D :D

BikerGuy

Motorcycle: 2008 Goldwing

Return to GL1500 Information & Questions