Lane filtering (splitting) in London

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Lane filtering (splitting) in London

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:39 pm

How to do it, though a Goldwing might present a challenge.

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: Lane filtering (splitting) in London

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:47 pm

I've never done it so I can't speak from experience. I won't do it but I have been tempted to drive up the shoulder to get by a bunch of accident rubber neckers.

If you want to do it, and its legal, go for it. I'm retired, I'm not in that big a hurry. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Paul Narramore
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 GoldWing

Postby Paul Narramore » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:04 am

Did you all notice the rider taking his hand off the handlebars to flick up his visor, just as he crossed a crossroads and just at the moment when he needed the utmost control? Maurice, EVERY rider here in the UK and Europe filters although not all as quickly as those two did. On motorways (freeways) if the traffic is static or slow moving, the middle and righthand lanes of traffic even open up a touch to allow riders through. This of course upsets the occasional idiot who decides to filter between the traffic in the lefthand and middle lanes, a definite no-no.
"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana" (Groucho Marx).

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, is very dark" (Groucho Marx).

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:09 am

I was in Athens, Greece about 16 years ago. Traffic was horrendous. Wherever I went I walked or took a taxi.
I noticed at every red light the motorcycles would filter to the front, and when the light turned green, it was like a motorcycle drag race, to the next red light. It was fun to watch but I had no desire to join them! :lol:
A couple guys I worked with rented a motorcycle, I think it was a Triumph Tiger. Anyhow they promptly crashed it.
That may have influenced my decision to remain a pedestrian in Athens. :lol:

(Paul, did you ever get my South Dakota license plate? I lost the tracking number when my daughter decided to throw out all the "trash".) :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:18 am

Never mind. Got your PM. :)

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:41 am

Riding the motorcycle in the UK and Europe is riding in a totally different culture. After WWII, there was not much left in Europe the form of transportation and for many, motorcycles became their primary form of transportation. Just about every family has stories about a father or grandfather travelling by motorcycle after the war. Thus many of them have grown up around, riding, or just seeing motorcyles in traffic.

In the USA, motorcycling has pretty much always been a recreational thing, except those of us who took to riding as it was cheaper than a car. But our culture has never really included motorcycling in the mainstream of transportation as they have in Europe. So they are more forgiving and in fact give way to motorcycles. I will never forget sitting in Picadilly Square, London watching the motorcycles/scooters filter past the stopped cars and pull up to the traffic light. The amazing part was when the light changed the cars sat till the bikes cleared the area.

Also you have to remember that today's motorcyclist in the UK is much better trained to ride a motorcycle in traffic than any training program we have. They actually have to progress from small size bikes and qualify to ride larger bikes in the UK. You can't just walk into a dealership there and buy a 1000cc sportbike. You have to show your valid license to actually be legal to ride that level of bike. I remember learning about the licensing/training program from a young man who had just qualified to ride a 1000cc bike and was jealous of me on a 1200cc bike. Apparently he had spent about 3000lbs or $3500US at the time to get to the level he was at. All I had was my state license with the motorcycle endorsement.

So when they filter/split lanes they are doing it based on a lot more than just dumb luck.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Paul Narramore
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000 GoldWing

Postby Paul Narramore » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:11 pm

Harvey

I think you summed that up pretty well. Living here in the South East, our roads are very congested especially at rush hour, with often long tailbacks bringing the traffic to a halt. So providing its safe to do so, we filter. Unfortunately there are a lot of riders out there who filter at stupid speeds and change lanes like a skiing slalom which does our pastime no good at all. In 2006 I spent three months riding 17,000 solo miles from New Jersey to California and back, thoroughly enjoying my favourite country, the US. I had been twice before that, riding from West to East as well as hire car trip around New England. I found your drivers pretty courteous and speeds pretty much the same, with all cars travelling about the same speed. Here in the UK, on a motorway, some are doing 100mph and some 45mph, some are hogging the middle lane, and some are so engrossed in a conversation with their passengers they don't take too much notice of me approaching. But I never quite got to grips with your 'no filtering' rules and was even stopped by a cop when I came across a set of temporary traffic lights. I bimbled down the white line to the front at about walking speed then pulled in behind the leading truck. "You on the motor sickle pull over!" the loud hailer announced. This (very short) cop then proceeded to tell me that what I'd done was very dangerous, that we could have been killed, that I could have been wiped out by oncoming traffic (we were in the Mojave Desert with not a vehicle in sight) and finally, pointing at the car occupants who were watching the pantomime, "Don't you think they were pissed (off) at you riding to the front?" I got off with a warning. An hour later I again got caught riding across a garage forecourt without my helmet on. After twenty years in the Police, I was convinced 'they' were out to get me!

Just a couple of things on your post. Picadilly Square was Piccadilly Circus. And 3000 lbs = 1361kg = 1.5 US tons. You meant to say £3000. :D
"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana" (Groucho Marx).

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, is very dark" (Groucho Marx).

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:16 pm

I've read about the licensing system in other countries. We are way behind in that respect.
We used to have a limiting system in this country. Was called parents. Now there's too many single parent homes and the assumed adult knows nothing about motorcycles.
One of my sons friends is a perfect example. This boy wanted a motorcycle and talked his mother in to buying him a RC51 for his first bike! No father in the picture. No one to say not only no but hell no!
The predictable happened and after a couple weeks in a hospital, mother sold his motorcycle. Guess she wasn't ready to make funeral arrangements yet.
I don't know how that salesman could sleep at night knowing that "boy" was going to be turned loose on the highways on a street legal racing machine!
That boy got a 1000cc race bike when he should have got a Cushman scooter.

We really need a licensing system in this country, and 30 years ago I never thought I'd ever say anything like that.
:roll:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”