headlight modulator

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
cruiser1800
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike Champion kit
2007 VTX1800T2

headlight modulator

Postby cruiser1800 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Last Thursday, the wife and I were almost hit by a car coming on to the highway, that didn't stop. It was only a fraction of a second from being hit or not. We had an accident last May, we were hit by a car entering the highway just like this one, except she pulled out from a stop sign, where last Thursday the car never stopped at the stop sign. I always use all of the lights on the trike, but this isn't doing it. I am thinking about a headlight modulator, to get their attention. One or two more incidents like this and I need to quit riding, to keep the wife safe, this seems to be my only alternative. The May accident we were going 40 mph, Thursday we were in a 60 mph speed zone, the out come would have been worst then last year, probably wouldn't have survived it. We are still healing and never will be the same.

Anybody have any suggestions on which one to buy, are there any plug and play type units.

Thanks
Rodney

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: headlight modulator

Postby themainviking » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:48 pm

the .50 Caliber fully automatic vehicle mounted one would do the trick. There is definitely something to be said for Anarchy.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:59 pm

But that's the trouble. You don't know which is the idiot until he or she has pulled out and done the worst. Life would be so much easier if there was a big sign above the fools but there just isn't. Really, the only way to stay a bit safer is to treat everyone else on the road as a potential homicidal lunatic.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:16 pm

Can you post a picture of your trike (with lights on) from the front angles?
Agreed that you have to be watching out, but making them see you better is a great idea and a modulator is one way that helps.
First, make sure that having flashing lights is legal where you are.
Next realize that modulators don't work with the LED or HID lights. If you have or plan on getting those, you also may be out of luck.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:13 pm

NVSB4 wrote:Can you post a picture of your trike (with lights on) from the front angles?
Agreed that you have to be watching out, but making them see you better is a great idea and a modulator is one way that helps.
Next realize that modulators don't work with the LED or HID lights. If you have or plan on getting those, you also may be out of luck.

I have used the Kisan Pathblazer headlight modulator with great success on multiple bikes. It is a plug-and-play install. They also make one specifically for LED headlights. You're still out of luck for HID headlights however. See: viewtopic.php?t=9441

cruiser1800
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike Champion kit
2007 VTX1800T2

Postby cruiser1800 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:37 pm

NVSB4 wrote:Can you post a picture of your trike (with lights on) from the front angles?

I not a computer nut, not sure how to post a pic, but I will try and remember to take a pic and see if I can paste it.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:01 pm

Yes! Get a headlight modulator. I will never ride without one. Mine is made by Signal Dynamics. You will not regret it. Anything you can do to force visual recognition is a plus. They are legal in all 50 states. Title 49 is the US code. Keep a copy with you just in case.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:33 pm

Since I put a headlight modulator on my 1500 NOBODY has turned left in front of me, NOBODY has tried to enter from the side roads in front of me. I have even had people pull over and stop in front of me because they may think Im a cop, I just smile and wave at them as I go by. I highly recommend a modulator for every motorcycle out there. It used to be bikes were the only vehicle out there that had headlights on in the day time to make them more visible, now ever vehicle has daytime running lights . the bikes just dont stand out anymore. enter the need for a headlight modulator. A modulated headlight simulates motion and your eye is drawn to motion, this is why they see us.
Some people say they hate seeing a modulated headlight but at least they saw it, I would rather have someone upset with my headlight than have me bleeding all over their car. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:10 am

WingAdmin wrote:
NVSB4 wrote:Next realize that modulators don't work with the LED or HID lights. If you have or plan on getting those, you also may be out of luck.

I have used the Kisan Pathblazer headlight modulator with great success on multiple bikes. It is a plug-and-play install. They also make one specifically for LED headlights. You're still out of luck for HID headlights however. See: viewtopic.php?t=9441

I didn't realize that one was available for LEDs.
I have already upgraded my position lights (the ones next to the headlights) with LED and plan on going with HID for the actual headlight.
Is it possible to modulate the position lights with their LED kit instead? That would still give the same benefit.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:40 am

I forget which modulator I have (I think it's the same one as WingAdmin) but it certainly works. I don't have it on all the time as I am concerned about anoying other drivers, but I use it all the time when on freeways and have NEVER had anyone try to cut me up, also when sitting in the left lane, cars will often pull to the right when it's on (they probably think I am some kind of emergency service) and let me pass. I would highly recommend one!!

Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:33 pm

NVSB4 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
NVSB4 wrote:Next realize that modulators don't work with the LED or HID lights. If you have or plan on getting those, you also may be out of luck.

I didn't realize that one was available for LEDs.
I have already upgraded my position lights (the ones next to the headlights) with LED and plan on going with HID for the actual headlight.
Is it possible to modulate the position lights with their LED kit instead? That would still give the same benefit.

That's exactly how I have mine set up. Not technically legal, but still visible.

Camer12
Motorcycle: 1997 goldwing

Postby Camer12 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:09 pm

I had 4 people pull out in front of me last year. Put a modulator on and never had a problem since.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:56 am

Here in the UK pulsing / flashing headlights are not legal. However, bicycles are allowed to have extremely bright flashing CREE LED lamps. Sure these things make them visible but to be driving in front of one in anything but bright daylight is so distracting. My point is that if they work so well for cyclists, why not allow them on motorcycles? Too much for our soft eco-friendly government to comprehend, I guess.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:23 am

When I bought my Goldwing, it had/has a modulator on it. Has a little sensor mounted so that it will only work with sunlight shining on it. I have no idea what brand it is.
I don't always use it as I don't want to annoy other drivers. When I'm on a state highway, and not stuck in a string of cars, I'll use it.
When I'm on the interstate or other divided highway, I don't generally use it. We're all going the same direction. Cars coming on to freeway on ramps, I just assume they're going to pull out in front of me. I just move over and let them on. (Like I have a choice if they want to force the issue. :lol: )
I didn't know it was legal in all 50 states. That was a concern for me as the season starts.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:When I bought my Goldwing, it had/has a modulator on it. Has a little sensor mounted so that it will only work with sunlight shining on it. I have no idea what brand it is.
I don't always use it as I don't want to annoy other drivers. When I'm on a state highway, and not stuck in a string of cars, I'll use it.
When I'm on the interstate or other divided highway, I don't generally use it. We're all going the same direction. Cars coming on to freeway on ramps, I just assume they're going to pull out in front of me. I just move over and let them on. (Like I have a choice if they want to force the issue. :lol: )
I didn't know it was legal in all 50 states. That was a concern for me as the season starts.

If you look in the Manuals section, there is a PDF you can download that includes both the US and Canadian federal statutes that make headlight modulators legal in all states and provinces. I carry a printout of this document in my bike in case some overzealous police officer decides he doesn't like my modulator.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:53 pm

WingAdmin wrote:If you look in the Manuals section, there is a PDF you can download that includes both the US and Canadian federal statutes that make headlight modulators legal in all states and provinces. I carry a printout of this document in my bike in case some overzealous police officer decides he doesn't like my modulator.

So do I, but I doubt a police officer will take the time to read it or even admit they are wrong, I assume if he stops me we will be going to court to resolve it, but it doesn't hurt to have the paper and try to reason with the officer.. My biggest fear is that he will write "flashing headlight" rather than "modulating headlight" on the ticket and then when it goes to court they might try and claim I had a flashing control unit on the bike at the time of the infraction rather than a modulating unit!! Fortunately I have passed police vehicles with the modulator on, and not one has stopped me to date..

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:04 pm

However, bicycles are allowed to have extremely bright flashing CREE LED lamps.

It is possible to buy 12v versions of these CREE LEDs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/16201345 ... 0&ff14=122

Are they legal in the UK?
The game's afoot;

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:07 am

brettchallenger wrote:
However, bicycles are allowed to have extremely bright flashing CREE LED lamps.

It is possible to buy 12v versions of these CREE LEDs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/16201345 ... 0&ff14=122

Are they legal in the UK?

Unfortunately not. No "flashing" lights , except winkers and beacons (for highway maintenance types ) are legal on motor vehicles here. I have 3 bright white CREE LED's on the front of my FJ1200, which are very visible, but they are a solid light. I may just try installing a flasher circuit for use while commuting through heavy traffic. If a cop decides to pull me over, I'll discuss it then...!
Maz

brettchallenger
2000 Honda GL1500 SE

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:23 am

You should be safe Maz, I never see a policeman any more, rare as hen's teeth
The game's afoot;

Maz
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:34 pm

brettchallenger wrote:You should be safe Maz, I never see a policeman any more, rare as hen's teeth

True enough! I don't mind being pulled over by one of the old-school Traffic Cops. They have a sense of fairness (and humour), but my luck would be one of those who have just started shaving and are trying to impress. Having said that, I'm going to sort out a modulator circuit and give it a try.
Maz

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:12 pm

I found the law about a modulating headlight (on a motorcycle) being legal in all 50 states.
I want to print off a copy to carry with me "just in case". :)
Hmmmm....maybe I need to print 2 copies, just in case Deputy Fife would like a copy. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:44 pm

I am sorry about you and your wife being injured. I have modulating high beams and flashing leds. Unfortunately the bulbs last less than one year and are difficult to change on an 1800. I actually would burn out two sets of high beams over the 12 k miles average I put on a year. I have installed a switch block to allow non- modulation during daylight hours as I run my high beams and leds 100% of the daylight hours. I have found that people are angered by modulating headlights. Angered to the point of turning into my Lane, chasing me down the highway and calling the police. Be prepared for the idiots if you use them. Most cagers don't have a clue that safety is first and foremost. They think we are trying to gain some type of upper hand by getting them to move over and let us pass. Lights are our only tool in the quest for visibility. They will still claim that they just don't see us. I recommend front and rear cameras for situations that may require placing blame and prosecuting the wrong doer. I have learned to stay away from all on and off ramps for the very reasons you stated. Ramps are sometimes unoviadble. My brain continually processes every thinkable idiotic thing a cager might do to cause me harm. It sucks to have to put so much energy into safety, but that is what riding in congested areas is all about. Modulating lights are good. They won't get everyone's attention. People are frustrated with the road congestion. They do stupid things like texting. Lights will not help with situations that involve total negligence. Be safe.
Cliff,

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:22 am

Thrasherg, if a cop cites you for a "flashing headlight" it's not anything to fear. Since you feel it will have to be resolved in court, prepare yourself for court.
The officer will have to testify as to what he saw and did and any other relevant circumstances. Then you can cross examine him.
Ask him about weather and traffic conditions that day. (Of course, you need to know what they were before you ask.) Ask him if he is a state certified law enforcement officer. If he testified to using radar as part of his decision to stop you, ask him if he is certified to use radar. (If he is not certified, his premise for stopping you is void and any action taken by him afterward will have to be dismissed.)
Then get down to the nut cutting. Did he examine your bike and see a device marked "flasher" causing your headlight to flash? I doubt it. Most cops going to write tickets just want to write you up then find their next "customer".
Don't be confrontational with the officer but do keep notes on anything he gets wrong.
When you testify, make a point of his errors, including his error in writing you for "flashing" headlight. If you know the make and model of your "modulator" present evidence of this, anything related the install instructions, pictures, etc.
Then finally present to the court the federal law showing they're legal in all 50 states. Always remain respectful towards the officer and the court. A little reasonable doubt is all you must show.

Oh, in some courts nowadays, the prosecutor may want to meet with each defendant before trial and work out a plea. Present your evidence to him. He, in most cases, has the power to dismiss the case against you.

And if it ever happens to you, let us know how it goes. :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”