Vacuum bag for your motorcycle

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Vacuum bag for your motorcycle

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:45 pm

I saw this ad for a Vac Bag System in a UK motorcycle magazine when I was over there recently, and I thought it was an interesting idea. When you need to store your bike, and don't want moisture attacking and corroding it, it would be a great solution. It would be particularly great in coastal areas with high salt content in the air, or in dusty areas when you store your bike and don't want dust to infiltrate every crevice.

It comes with a dessicant pack that is put in with the bike and that absorbs any moisture that does get sealed inside with the bike.

Has anyone seen one of these before?

Vac Bag Dry Storage System
Vac Bag Dry Storage System

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Re: Vacuum bag for your motorcycle

Postby brettchallenger » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:27 pm

I've not heard of this but it makes sense. I guess it is an extension of the bags which are used to store clothing/bedding etc. - the ones where you pop them in a bag and attach a vacuum cleaner nozzle and suck out all the air.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Rhino motorcycle shelter is one.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby Dennis613l » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:07 am

The below is kinda the opposite of the vacuum pack.
Have to admit I was looking at it as had mice in the garage one winter (out in the country, a tough battle to keep them out).
The missuss threatened to put Styrofoam chips in there with it to make a snow globe out of it........ :D

http://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-bikebubb ... ubble-long

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:50 am

The Vac Bag sounds like an interesting alternative for very long storage.
I don't know what the effects would be having the plastic touching places on the bike for extended periods of time would be or how durable the bag might be for reuse from season to season. I guess for $60, if it worked well enough, you could get a new one every year.

As for the Carcoon bubble, it would probably work well outdoors in moderate climate, but don't know how much severe weather (especially winds) that it could take.
That and with the price between $320-$380, I would rather build a small shed for storage.

The Carcoon workstations that they sell look amazing, but I can't imagine how much they would cost.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

PoolDude
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Postby PoolDude » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:06 am

I would be concerned about how it would affect the fuel and oil in the bike. I know that it couldn't lower the air pressure too much but how would that affect the volatiles in the bike?

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:34 pm

They "recommend" draining the gas, changing the oil, removing the battery and inflating the tires before storing.
Just about the same things that you would normally do.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:04 pm

It sounds like a good idea for those that can put their bike away, then keep their hands off of it. :D
I can't do that. If I'm not fixing, replacing, cleaning or waxing something, I'll find something that needs tinkering or tweaking on. :lol:
The only cover I've got right now is an old bedsheet and I couldn't keep the d××n cat off my seat, until today.
If Elvis wants to sleep on my seat now, he'll be sleeping on a bed of nails! :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

mudplug
Motorcycle: 1989 HONDA GOLDWING
ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Postby mudplug » Sun May 01, 2016 4:36 am

I have used this bag for years albeit I live in England so are readily available :-) however I have found that I need to do a couple of things before I seal the bag. 1. I drain all fluids on the bike and the reason for this is I found the first year the bag had condensation inside even though I had put in a moisture bag inside as well. 2. over the screen and front of the bike also the rear panniers I put some plain brown paper to stop the bag from touching these parts and once done seal it up. The results bearing in mind we have cold and VERY damp winters have always been superb allowing me to take the bike out at the beginning of summer as fresh as the day it was first put in the bag and the added bonus that I don't have bloody Spiders crawling out as I am riding :-) I keep the bike in a wooden shed so not really winter proof and certainly not damp proof but the bag saves all the rust and winter crap that one gets when you start to use it again. This is now about the 5th year I have used the same bag and I reckon it will still be good for another year (all depends how gently you treat it of course) I highly recommend them subject to the points made above. I don't have one of these types but you can also get a bag that has a small pump that attaches to the bag, not quiet sure if it blows air in or out? but reports seem to be good on it although I don't know if I would like to have something connected all winter working away by itself? Oh forgot to mention that it's important to place something under the bag where the stand goes or it will puncture the bag, one thing I do is place a small sheet of rubber under the bag then another inside the bag and put the stand on that so the bag where all the weight goes is protected and like I said it is now 5 years of use in action so I am more than happy :-)

spanishstroll
Motorcycle: 1997 1500 Aspencade

Postby spanishstroll » Sun May 01, 2016 9:09 am

I guess my question would be, who puts their Goldwing away for long periods of time? lol
Here in So. Cal it's almost always a good day for a ride.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 01, 2016 9:49 am

I never even thought of that, but your comment about spiders is a good one: these bags would do very well in keeping the critters (bugs, mice, squirrels, etc) from taking up residence in your bike!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun May 01, 2016 9:49 am

spanishstroll wrote:I guess my question would be, who puts their Goldwing away for long periods of time? lol
Here in So. Cal it's almost always a good day for a ride.

Not all of us are so lucky. :)

spanishstroll
Motorcycle: 1997 1500 Aspencade

Postby spanishstroll » Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 am

Oh my! Yes, you should dry that baby up and bag it!!

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun May 01, 2016 10:31 am

Have not really had problems with spiders, a few crickets, but not many spiders. ;)
Now, since Elvis has come to live in the shop, mice, rats, and chipmunks have all either found other quarters or become cat food. :lol:
Elvis will also "play" with bugs. Since we have come to an understanding about what he can and cannot climb up on, l no longer worry about rodents chewing on anything out in the shop. :lol:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”