My Goldwing saved my life

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Skittz
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 Audio/Comfort

My Goldwing saved my life

Postby Skittz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:21 am

My wife and I have been in love with our wing ever since it came into our life. It has given us so much joy. But there is always that element of danger lurking in the shadows. While riding last weekend with several of our GWRRA members. I felt a bump, like i ran over a golf ball sized rock. I looked in the mirror and did not see anything bouncing behind me. Glancing at the dash in that moment I saw the TPMS light come on. So I radioed to our ride Captain that I might have a problem. So he found us a place to pull over to check it out. When we checked the rear tire I noticed it look distorted. We checked the tire pressure and it was at 92lbs. We had only ridden about 10 miles after stopping for lunch. Also there was a lot of heat in the tire. As we contemplated what had happened the tire began to cool but still had a very hot spot near the valve stem. What had happened was the longitudal belt had separated inside the tire causing the distortion, high air pressure and excessive heat. The TPMS light had done its job and warned me of the impending danger thus saving my wife and I from a possible accident and/or serious damage. In my opinion our Goldwing had returned the love that we have for it to us. What a wonderful piece of machinery. I have rewarded it with a complete set of new tires. This love affair will continue for a long time. Please post any stories of this ove between riders and machine if you have any. I would love to hear them.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: My Goldwing saved my life

Postby thrasherg » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:48 am

How did it get to 92 lbs per sq inch pressure? I thought the tyre would have exploded before getting that high? Who last inflated the tyre? If it was a garage I would be talking to them, you should never have more than 50 lbs per sq inch in a wing tyre (I run high low 40's in my 1800). Glad to hear you found the problem before the tyre failed, but that is a very high pressure for a tyre and you should find what caused it and correct it before the same thing happens to your next tyre.

Gary

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:51 am

Just for curiosity, what brand was the tire? I had an Avon Cobra do that to me a couple of years back. Avon Tire company fought real hard not to replace/refund the tire which was less than a year old and had less than 5K miles on it. They have since reformulated their rear Cobra tires. I did not get a TPMS warning, because the tire was not over or under inflated. I am happy that it turned out well for you.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:22 am

Not sure a rear tire failure would be life threatening but you never know, it's possible. Now a rare front tire failure, thats a serious threat. I have had tires go flat etc. while riding and had to limp to an safe area. I was once heading back on the Interstate hurrying home and noticed the bike (not a wing) felt like it was wallowing during lane changes. Pulled over, nail in rear 0 psi. but never broke the bead. :shock: If you have an experienced educated "seat of the pants" trouble monitor, it can alert you to malfunctions including low tires. That being said, TPMS is a nice setup, I've never had one on a bike but always insist on them for my wife's vehicle.
Last edited by maintainer on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

Skittz

Postby Skittz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:35 am

thrasherg wrote:How did it get to 92 lbs per sq inch pressure? I thought the tyre would have exploded before getting that high? Who last inflated the tyre? If it was a garage I would be talking to them, you should never have more than 50 lbs per sq inch in a wing tyre (I run high low 40's in my 1800). Glad to hear you found the problem before the tyre failed, but that is a very high pressure for a tyre and you should find what caused it and correct it before the same thing happens to your next tyre.

Gary

Gary, the tire was properly inflated to 41psi when cold that morning before the ride. The theory is that when the belt separated it caused the tire to begin to heat up which in turn caused the pressure to climb. Moral of the story is to always be aware of what is happening and not ignore any telltale signs of impending danger.

Skittz

Postby Skittz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:40 am

themainviking wrote:Just for curiosity, what brand was the tire? I had an Avon Cobra do that to me a couple of years back. Avon Tire company fought real hard not to replace/refund the tire which was less than a year old and had less than 5K miles on it. They have since reformulated their rear Cobra tires. I did not get a TPMS warning, because the tire was not over or under inflated. I am happy that it turned out well for you.

Tire brand is a Bridgestone. It had approx. 10k on it I had already talked about replacing it several days before this happened. I am replacing both tires with a new set of Bridgestones. I have run these for a long time and have complete faith in them.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:31 pm

With tire pressure so high, (maybe still climbing?) a blowout on the rear, in the right circumstances, could have been disastrous.
I'm glad you're okay and your TPMS warned you in time to get off the road safely.
Ride safe! :D

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”