All survived

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
heinzross
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800

All survived

Postby heinzross » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:26 am

This image shows the 30 video frames (1 second) of a close call, taken from GL1800 turning into a driveway. Video is here: [youtube]

[/YouTube]

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: All survived

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:27 am

Wow,

Somewhere in queensland then.

Was the driver OK?

Looks like the driver was overtaking or didn't see the bike making the right hand turn - bad news everywhere.

heinzross

Postby heinzross » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:56 am

Yes, in Queensland. Time was sunset, sun is low. Car behind me was also indicating to go into the same driveway. I don't want to speculate what the red car was trying to do, but he luckily managed to miss us. Not bad news, good news, we all survived. Car driver had small amount of blood on the nose, his passenger some blood on one leg, both climbed out of car ok. I think his airbags inflated just in time. Ambulance arrived quickly and checked them out.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:41 am

Again,

Glad everyone was OK - driver was obviously going too fast for the conditions...

Lucky escape for all... go take a lottery ticket. :)

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby thunderwing » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:10 pm

God bless, glad to see and hear that all survived without significant injury as opposed to what could have been an gruesome video for all.

This helps re-enforce to me that the angle of the sun can play a major part in accidents.....this teaches me I must up the awareness meter during this time of day in the morning or evening. If your vision is obstructed by the sun it's a good idea to take a break for 10 to 15 minutes until visibility returns, even when you feel other drivers could experience it.

Safe riding practices save lives, good luck to all out there and keep it safe.
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:47 pm

I sincerely hope you bought lottery tickets right after that... :shock:

heinzross

Postby heinzross » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Thank you all for watching and commenting. The police man asked me: 'And how are you going?' I said: 'I'm F_CKING great,' and pronounced it in capitals. It felt right at the time, although I don't usually swear, but we had a good laugh. He said, 'No point in buying a lottery ticket, you got it already.' He was really happy. What is interesting is what the brain does in the micro seconds when it happened. I was relieved that my front wheel missed the rear of the car. Brain says: Forget the car, it's done. Watch ahead, the power lines. The ones in front of us were the house supply lines, a twisted pair. Brain says: Would be insulated, could possibly survive if we get tangled in it, try not to. Expected to see sparks on the ground but nothing happened. Over our heads were the 7 main lines holding the pole upright. They would not be insulated. Getting away from under there became priority. Luckily none of the wires broke. Put the bike to the side (no damage), putting the stand down takes time and would lean to the left, we both got off ok.

The road has 100km/h limit. When I looked behind me there was a car about 15m away (with the husband of my pillion passenger in it), also indicating to go into the same driveway. Behind him was a truck with semitrailer. I could not see any car in colour red. Must have been a nightmare for the husband to watch it all.

The thought occurred, what is he trying to do? What is the point of this? There is no road this way, no point in taking a short-cut, there is no way through here. Only later did I realise that he saved our lives (apart from the fact of what was he doing there in the first place?). I dreaded looking into the car. The passenger was pushed against his window and didn't move. The driver got out ok. He had a little bit of blood on the nose, but standing straight, appeared normal. Passenger was a bigger man. He had to crawl to the driver's side, the only door for him to get out. Had a little blood on one leg, but also stood upright and appeared normal. We all seemed to have a dry mouth. Neighbours bringing water were a welcome sight. Ambulance were first on the scene and checked them out. By midnight a new post was put in and power reconnected.

Next morning I looked at the site. Had the car been further to the left we would have collided, further to the right he would have hit the concrete drainage pipe under the driveway. That would not have moved and would have changed the car's trajectory altogether. That could have been fatal for all of us. The only path with some chance was the one he took.

I read somewhere the line: Never drive faster than your angel can fly, and it stuck with me ever since. It was the first ride for my pillion passenger. She said it's the best and worst ride all wrapped into one. I guess we're all glad to live another day. My cousin said: Happy birthday.

Please Note
: I'm no expert on electricity and don't know if it would have been safe to touch the house wires, that is just what the brain suggested at the time. The camera was a Biker Pro Bullet HD. Thanks again, ride safely.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun May 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Wow! Just WOW! My sphincter grabbed the seat upholstery just watching that video! WOW! :shock:
Sunrise and sunset will be coffee time and break time. A few minutes will not make that much difference. :shock:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

heinzross

Postby heinzross » Wed May 04, 2016 6:50 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Wow! Just WOW! My sphincter grabbed the seat upholstery just watching that video! WOW! :shock:
Sunrise and sunset will be coffee time and break time. A few minutes will not make that much difference. :shock:

Thanks for watching and sorry for remotely activating your sphincter. I hope it let go after a while. The thought of you being stuck on the upholstery just blows my mind. You're right, a few minutes makes no difference. I overheard the guy had the car for just 1 week.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Wed May 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Watching the video, I just kept waiting for that moment of impact. :o
As for my chair, we've decided to reupholster it and I have a new pair of leather underwear. Kinky! :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

heinzross

Postby heinzross » Wed May 04, 2016 8:06 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Watching the video, I just kept waiting for that moment of impact. :o
As for my chair, we've decided to reupholster it and I have a new pair of leather underwear. Kinky! :lol:

Leather underwear, It should be able to handle a few bites :)

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 am

LOL. Okay guys this is starting to get weird. ;) Sphincters and leather underwear. Not a pretty picture.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu May 05, 2016 8:11 am

You're right. This is a family friendly website and that kind of stuff should be kept...wherever it belongs. My apologies. :)

Back on topic: Thank you for sharing that video. That's something that should be shown in high school driver education classes around the world.

heinzross

Postby heinzross » Thu May 05, 2016 7:03 pm

I agree, family friendly site, likewise, my apologies, but it was just so funny (sorry again) :mrgreen: Yes, the moments of Adrenalin pumping need to be balanced with the horrendous consequences which could follow. I have watched many accidents on Youtube, trying to understand why and how things can happen. The once that got to me the most were those where the audio was still recording the pain afterwards. The spectacular vision is nothing compared to the agony (or worse) that can follow. I stick to my 'never faster than angel speed.'

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu May 05, 2016 8:10 pm

I've got a nephew in Castle Rock, Colorado. He provided me a safe haven from a pouring rain a couple years ago.
He loved watching crash videos from Russia.
I don't know if he knew what he was talking about, but he told me some insurance companies in Russia require their insured drivers use and maintain a video camera anytime they're driving.
There was some really stupid crashes but we have'em here too.
Best ones are on wildest police chases and dumbest drivers on tru tv.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri May 06, 2016 6:56 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:You're right. This is a family friendly website and that kind of stuff should be kept...wherever it belongs. My apologies. :)

Back on topic: Thank you for sharing that video. That's something that should be shown in high school driver education classes around the world.

My reply was meant to be a joke. I thought it funny. Not criticizing. (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri May 06, 2016 7:39 am

But you were right. Drifting off topic isn't uncommon but I had set a course doomed for admin censorship. :(
I'd rather stay on his good side because its not that I "might" need his help someday. :D

Return to “Goldwing Chat”