my 1st bike

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mckaiser83
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100i

my 1st bike

Postby mckaiser83 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:12 pm

I'll be 50 this summer and have always wanted a bike. An 83 Goldwing 1100i recently fell into my lap. I've ridden almost 800 miles and LOVE IT! Not always sure what I'm doing is right but I'm sure I'll find others to ride with soon, none of my friends ride (plus they think I'm nuts for just jumping on an 1100 to start with). Need to sign up for the Safe Biking class so I'm legal. Any advice? Any riders in the Cinci/Dayton area who wouldn't mind a rookie tagging along? It's gonna be a good summer!

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: my 1st bike

Postby thunderwing » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:36 pm

NICE!!! At 50 you deserve this gift. My advice is to ride with 2 other riders that are experienced and ride the middle position for a while, then the last position, then the lead position over varying roads, backroads and highways. This takes time, trust, and best of all friendship!! Cherish all the memories that you make with each ride, and soon you will see that shared rides with experienced respectful riders will bring your skill level up at the proper pace. Practice in parking lots with low speed maneuvers and constantly spin your head around to check your 360 situational awareness. Practice parking with pulling up to a location and always putting your rear wheel to the curb along with your riding mates. Once you've gotten comfortable with riding with 2 other riders then riding with a pack of more than 3 bikes becomes easier. When you're ready then move up to passenger riding etiquette by bringing the significant other or wife out for rides and bonding the relationship even more. BRING your camera and document with pictures and videos.

I admire you, as my 1st bike was an 1983 aspencade as well.....good choice, peppy bike, handles nicely, plenty of room and power to handle all kinds of riding.

Enjoy your experience and do share some videos and pictures with the forum.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Best,

Scott & Laura
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

Pam
Motorcycle: 1982 Kawazaki KZ 1100 1983 Yamaha Venture Royal (sold and miss it) 2006 Goldwing GL1800 1992 Yamaha Virago

Postby Pam » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:40 am

Congrats on the ride. Just because your 50 no biggie. Lots of guys start late seems that is where we seem to find some disposable cash. Don't work about your non rider friends. I have friends who don't ride but always want to know where I have been on the bike I was in my 40's some where when I bought my first bike. KZ1100 Kawasaki,fast bike. Your are old enough/experienced enough to respect the power of and weight of the bike. As previously said practice, especially the low speed stuff take the training and above all don't let some one push you into riding outside your comfort level.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Postby Harp » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:10 am

Welcome! I had a bike when I was in my teens and 20s, but gave it up as I was too busy running a couple businesses. I bought a bike in my 40s. The Mrs. Gave me 2 conditions - that I always wear a helmet and I take the Ohio Basic Rider course. Very glad that I did both. The rider course will set you up with your license upon satisfactory completion. The instructors were great, gave us tips based on their real world experience, critiqued our skills in a genuine manner and even broke our class into 2 sections to give extra assistance to those that weren't catching on as quickly. Great class! Very glad that I took it. I will be taking the advanced rider class with my cousin later this summer. Here's a link that will show you everything you need to know. I would recommend that you sign up early as class space goes very quickly, particularly in the Cleve, Columbus and Cinci areas. Good Luck! http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Congratulations. As you're already finding out, you'll get loads of good info and tips from experienced riders here.

Don't worry about trying it learn it all at once. No one here did, but some were faster than others. :lol:

Getting an 1100cc machine at 50 is a lot different than getting that same machine at 16. You'll know what you're comfortable doing and watching and listening to other experienced riders will help you stretch your skills.

Again, congratulations and I'll just say always wear a helmet and if your boots have laces, tuck'em in. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

billbob
Motorcycle: 1998 gl1500 se

Postby billbob » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:25 pm

Congrats on your bike ,nice ride.Maybe a class would be good.

mckaiser83
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100i

Postby mckaiser83 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks everybody! Gonna sign up for that class just have to get my temps first (shhhh, don't tell on me). Having the bike detailed on Fri to start out, then I'll keep it up from there, excited to see how good they get it looking. Then I'd like to start tweaking it, I'll look online for stuff but any suggestions? I want to take the trunk off and get some better mirrors to start.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”