Track Day

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Track Day

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:21 am

Went on an advanced rider course two weekends ago. Great times was had by all. Instructor did a "follow me" at the end of day two. He was on a Kawasaki 1000 Police Special. Turns on a dime and goes like stink! Tried following on the '85 LTD, but kept blowing out of the skill patterns. He played that bike like a well tuned violin, a treat to watch a bike and rider of that caliber.

Heard about a track day at Pitt Meadows Race Track in Pitt Meadows, BC, just outside Vancouver area. Took the one day track day yesterday. Lots of "rice" rockets, adventure bikes, and the likes, but only one touring bike - my '85 LTD. It is geared towards all level of riders and bikes. The aim is to have you experience racing techniques without being on the road, specifically cornering.

There are various levels from the "intro" to a track day, all the way up to "expert" (been there a multitude of times). Only one level on the track at any one time for 15 minutes then switch. 15 minutes on a tight twisty track course is quite sufficient,then you need a rest.

Lights have to be taped as well as mirrors - GWs have a lot of lights. Reduces distractions and the course staff want you to focus on what is in front of you. Those behind you are responsible to follow course rules and not hit you.

Start the day with a track brief, then split into the various levels. The two lowest levels, intro and "Relaxed" have a track talk specific to these levels. I was in the "Relaxed" group.

Speeds increased steadily as the day went on. Advice and critique on your riding was also given. I had a good time and continually improved my line and speeds as I progressed through the the day.

The course organizers and staff were very supportive and put on a great venue.

This was significantly different from the slow speed advanced rider courses that I have taken. It was a great learning experience to find out what I could do with the bike on a race type course. To learn how far I could actually lean the bike at various speeds without loosing traction and scraping hard parts will enhance my riding on the road.

All-in-all a great way to spend a Sunday and have a fantastic experience. Highly recommend a track day for riding fun and experience.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD, 2008 GL1800

Re: Track Day

Postby Rednaxs60 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Been thinking about the track day while I've been out riding the bike. Some of the benefits of a track day that I've thought about are:

1. Only have to be concerned with what is in front of you while training.
2. Getting used to coming into a corner "hot" and braking, then "diving" into the corner. Knowing that you are able to do this and still make the corner.
3. Let's you get used to leaning the bike in a corner to an extreme (different for each person) and knowing that the bike still has lots of traction and will not slide out from under you.
4. Knowing that until you hear the foot peg slider you still have lots of room to lean the bike over.
5. Knowing that when you hear the foot peg slider you still have a bit of room left.
6. If the track is wet, getting used to cornering, slowing and accelerating on a wet surface still works - just have to be smooth on and off the throttle.
7. Knowing that you can trail brake into and through a corner and still get through.
8. Getting used to entering corners at different angles - some I liked, some I did not.
9. Getting and having the confidence in your cornering ability and that of the bike as well.

In my mind, knowing that the above is true and actually doing and experiencing it is totally different.

One of the courses I was on was taught by two police bike cops. The war stories they related to us during the course we're an eye opener. They mentioned that most, if not all accidents occurring in corners are preventable. As I mentioned above, both instructors stated that until the foot peg slider is continually on the pavement, keep pushing for the exit. Good advice in my book.

I was also asked why take more courses. The one answer I could think of at the time was that for my money, these courses are better for my safety, and the safety of my passenger. Unfortunately have to have insurance, or I'd take that money and spend it on more training.

Looking forward to a refresher next year.

Just a few more thoughts on my track day.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: Track Day

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:30 pm

It sounds like it would be a lot of fun plus a chance to learn something new.
:D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”