Another intentional road-rage accident

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Another intentional road-rage accident

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:37 am

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/crime/st-luc ... 12471.html

Port St. Lucie police arrested a 47-year-old driver Tuesday after a witness said he intentionally accelerated into the rear of a three-wheeled motorcycle that had slowed to cross a set of railroad tracks.

A passenger on the motorcycle was taken to St. Lucie Medical Center.

Charles Golden Fuqua, 2800 block of Southeast Walton Road in Port St. Lucie, was charged with aggravated battery causing bodily injury.

Police said the 3:25 p.m. crash was the result of road rage.

Fuqua had been tailgating the Honda Goldwing for some time before it reached the tracks in the 2800 block of Southeast Walton Road, according to an arrest affidavit. The man driving the motorcycle had yelled repeatedly and gestured for Fuqua to back off, it said.

After the impact, Fuqua got out of his Ford Focus and the motorcycle driver got a gun from his motorcycle in an attempt to protect himself, according to a statement from police. A Martin County sheriff's sergeant happened upon the crash site and separated the men, staying with them until city police arrived.

Fuqua was released from the St. Lucie County Jail late Tuesday after posting $15,000 bail.

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Re: Another intentional road-rage accident

Postby flogger » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:54 pm

There are too many nuts out there that just don't like motorcycles... I stay clear of folks and keep to myself... I am licensed to and do carry a gun too... Good for this guy...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:56 pm

I'm worried just by looking at the guys photo -

Looks like a few roos loose in the top paddock...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:59 pm

What is it about the look of the eyes with some of these crazy people? Longer hair and a scraggly beard and he would look like Charles Manson
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:33 pm

I realize this is not the part of the story anyone wants to hear but the facts say we as motorcyclists need to look at this from a different perspective. Our first impulse is against the car driver and I hope he receives the full impact of the Florida Law.

However, what about our responsibility to examine what the motorcyclist could have done. the story says the car followed the trike for some distance, so why didn't the trike just pull over off the road and let the guy go around. If a tailgator will not pass then pull over or just get off the roadway and let him go! Sure beats getting hit in the rear. And be very careful how you try to signal to the driver to come around. This guy is upset and could easily interpret you waving your hand to be an obscene gesture.

We need to start looking at how we can prevent these type situations and many times that means just get off the road or out of the way. Control your anger and frustration and thus control the situation and live to ride another day.

And Yes, I have a very difficult time following this very advice at times.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:39 pm

harvey01 wrote:However, what about our responsibility to examine what the motorcyclist could have done.

You are reading into it and assuming other issues... What if pulling over looked scary? Motorists pull over only to have the second driver stop to pick a fight... No however to it at all, nothing excuses his behavior and nothing allows attempted vehicular homicide, which is what it was...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

mterrac
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki Boulevard

Postby mterrac » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:43 am

I agree there's no excuse for what happened and also hope the man driving the car gets everything coming to him from the legal system. I also agree that doing whatever was possible to avoid the situation in the first place would have been wise, including pulling over if it was safe and not yelling at the motorist.

I fully support someone carrying legally for self-protection. However, I consider doing anything that might start a fight (yelling at another motorist is a good way to do that) and then having to pull a gun to finish it to be irresponsible. Carrying a concealed weapon means being the bigger man and being very, very humble. If you can't do that, don't carry. If you pull over safely to allow the motorist to pass and the other guy stops and tries to start a fight, then you have every right to draw your weapon and protect yourself.

I've pulled over more than once to let someone get by, while riding the motorcycle and while driving the car. Beats having an accident, starting a fight, or these days getting killed by some nut out on the road. Nobody has ever pulled in behind me and tried to come after me; they just want you out of the way so they can get where they're going. If you're being tailgated with no safe place to pull over, drive defensively, leaving extra space between you and what's in front so you don't have to stop quickly, then pull over as soon as you can. Nothing is perfect and by all means protect yourself, but make sure you do everything possible to avoid a confrontation in the first place.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:19 am

i can't say i've ever ran into that type of a situation, but, i HAVE had problems at red lights. i'd be stopped and the vehicle behind me pulls right up within a foot or 2 behind my bike. what i do is, i put the side stand down, get off my bike, go to the rear of my bike and look at the distance between the car and me, turn to the driver of the car and without saying a word, i just stare at him for a few seconds, get back on my bike and drive away. IF he/she is still behind me at the next traffic light and we have to stop, i look back and i see him/her pulling up behind me, but this time the driver leaves more space between his/her car and my bike. i guess my "back off" gesture worked in that instance. now im not saying its the right thing to do, but it sometimes works.

stuart.

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Postby Dennis613l » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:20 am

roadwanderer2 wrote:i can't say i've ever ran into that type of a situation, but, i HAVE had problems at red lights. i'd be stopped and the vehicle behind me pulls right up within a foot or 2 behind my bike. what i do is, i put the side stand down, get off my bike, go to the rear of my bike and look at the distance between the car and me, turn to the driver of the car and without saying a word, i just stare at him for a few seconds, get back on my bike and drive away. IF he/she is still behind me at the next traffic light and we have to stop, i look back and i see him/her pulling up behind me, but this time the driver leaves more space between his/her car and my bike. i guess my "back off" gesture worked in that instance. now im not saying its the right thing to do, but it sometimes works.

stuart.

Agreed to let them pass when safe to do so....can't always do that, but when you can better to have them over the horizon ahead of you than on your butt. There have been a couple of poetic justice moments when saw my tailgater pulled over a few miles down the road by the police :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Another situation with tailgaters I sometimes having to slow down crossing grooved construction roads, and better yet.....steel grated bridges.....some people are in too much of rush to hurry up (probably texting at the same time)...........if you wiped out they definitely would be driving over the top of you.......

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun May 01, 2016 11:07 am

It was fortunate the trike rider had the means to make that guy think twice about a physical attack. Also a law enforcement officer being nearby.
I hope this crazy dumbxxx car driver gets all he's got coming to him, but we got to remember, as big as our Goldwings are, no matter how much in the right we may be, a crazy driver in even a small car could put a powerful hurt on us while he walked away.
I have moved over and let tailgaters pass. A couple times I've been passed only to see the speed demon explaining him/herself to an Officer on down the road. :lol:
Not saying we have always got to turn the other cheek but I'm not going to let someone else's bad day ruin mine.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

AndyC
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE 1500 Trike

Postby AndyC » Mon May 02, 2016 6:54 pm

I always pull off and let tailgaters by, to many idiots have maimed or killed bikers. But if need be I carry AndyC

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon May 02, 2016 7:56 pm

I also carry and from what I'm hearing on the local news, I'm going to have to start carrying closer & closer to home.
Normally I would only carry when I left my "home" area. Now road rage incidents and assaults are happening closer to "home".
I hope nothing ever happens but if confronted by someone with those "crazy" eyes, well, you just know they're a few bricks shy of a full load.
Getting older and more decrepit, I don't heal up as fast as I used to. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon May 02, 2016 8:34 pm

As I was scrolling back to the top of this thread, I stopped to read mterrac's post.
The part about starting an incident stirred a memory from my law enforcement days.
Back then, as now, the detectives drove unmarked cars. One of our detectives had worked very late and was driving home about 2:00 or 3:00 o'clock in the morning.
He lived way out in the county and was on a two lane state highway when a pickup zoomed right up behind him and started riding his bumper. Then the driver of the pickup started flashing his high beam headlights into the detectives car.
Our detective suspected a drunk driver so he radioed cencom and requested a field deputy. Right then the pickup moved into the left lane, pulled up so the passenger door on the pickup was about even with the detectives left front tire.
A passenger in the pickup then reached out and fired two or three shots in to the fender of the police car. Then they took off.
The chase was on! Lights and sirens from all over the place came on! In less than 10 minutes the two country bumpkin cowboys were spread eagle out on the highway while the rest of the air leaked out of their tires.
They had been drinking and everything was real funny, until they shot at the wrong car. We thought it was pretty funny for a long time. :lol:

xatczma
Motorcycle: 2010 Honda Gold Wing

Postby xatczma » Wed May 04, 2016 6:05 pm

That incident made the local news here for 24 hours. The road on which it took place has a lot of sugar sand sides and not conducive to pulling over and letting him go. In addition the gentleman that was arrested was arrested last year for another road rage incident. He successfully completed an anger management class, :o

Return to “Goldwing Chat”