Ressurecting a Classic

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Ressurecting a Classic

Postby Rjfowler » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:54 am

Potential to buy a Goldwing in excellent condition on the exterior but has sat for potentially about 10 years +. What are the recomended steps to resurrecting such a bike aside from changing fluids et. Don't even know whether the gas was drained or not. Thanks GL1100A

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Ressurecting a Classic

Postby thrasherg » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:29 pm

I would start by trying to get the engine to turn over, start by removing the spark plugs and see if the crank can be rotated by hand (put a socket on the bolt in the center of the alternator and try to rotate the engine, or put the bike in 5/6 gear and try rotating the rear wheel by hand). If you cant rotate the engine, try putting some kind of penetrating oil (or diesel) in each bore (squirt it through the spark plug holes) and let it sit for 24 to 48 hours for the oil to work in. Once the engine can be rotated I would replace the plugs and look at fitting a new timing belt. Then I would remove the carbs and look at having them ultra-sonic cleaned (it might not need doing, but probably will). I would then change the engine oil & filter, the cooland and the fuel. Fit a new battery and try to start it with the electric start. If it fires up it will smoke a bit (due to the penetrating oil, so let it sit and warm up, then check all the electrics, brakes (pads and fluid) and bearings (wheel steering, swing arm, etc)...

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I
1983 GL1100 Custom
2002 Shadow
1983 Honda Magna V45

Re: Ressurecting a Classic

Postby MJSantos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Hmm this sounds familar, as Gary says, try to rotate the engine by hand first. If that works you can count on the gas tank being fouled, probably rusty. For an initial start you might want to bypass the tank by using a section of fuel line inserted into a gas can with fresh gas and connected to the fuel pump. If the carbs were drained you might be in luck and it will try to run. Clean all of the terminals dealing with the starter selonoid and ground cable. You can use an automotive battery or truck battery and a set of very heavy jumper cables to give it power. If you jump it DO NOT have the donor vehicle running. This will give you an indication of how much it's going to take to get it road worthy if it fires up. You can almost count on the carbs needing a cleaning. The gas tank can be done by yourself or farm the work out and maybe pulling the starter for a good cleaning and new grease in the reduction gears.
It might just surprise you mine did it had sat for even a longer period of time.
Rule of thumb:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”