Why do we do it?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Why do we do it?

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat May 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Today was such a beautiful day, I couldn't spend it in the shop trying to fix my cruise control. I had to go riding! :D

It was a little cool this morning, lower 60's, nothing the leather jacket couldn't take care of. So it was check the tires, oil, lights and horn, signals and brakes then hit the road.
There was a lot of bikes on the road today. All kinds, cruisers, tourers, adventure tourers, trikes CanAms, sport bikes, everything.
From a map on the side of a little bike shop, I plotted myself a fairly long route that included part of the pigtrail, a local twisty motorcycle road.
Had a long enjoyable ride with stops for gas, food and rest stops. Rode a little over 290 miles.
But I also saw two wrecked motorcycles and a wrecked SUV. I was in some nice curves, really enjoying the ride, when I passed a red and black Honda Shadow laying in a ditch splattered with mud.
No one around. I stopped, called out and searched for the rider. No one around and no phone service.
For some reason the rider ran off the right side of a left hand curve I was riding on my Goldwing at 50 to 55 mph, not a sharp curve.
From the top of the hill about a mile away I called 911. It had already been reported and a tow truck should have picked it up by now. Okay, I went on my way.
A little later, I met a state trooper, behind him a little ways came a flatbed rollback with a crashed cruiser strapped down on it.
I really got to thinking about why, when we get into the twisties, we start pushing a little bit? I was doing it. Not so much after seeing the second wreck, but I had been doing it.
Its a terrible price to pay to build confidence in your bike or your self. I don't do it on interstates or other major highways. But a twisty piece of pavement makes me want to lean it over an accelerate around that curve. There's a thrill to doing it right, but doing it wrong can hurt so bad. :(
Oh, the SUV. Ran off the right side of the road. A straight part of the road. Off the road, into the grass, the over the hill into the trees. That's all I know.
I just wonder why we push it so much?

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Why do we do it?

Postby themainviking » Sun May 08, 2016 6:08 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:I just wonder why we push it so much?

Cause it's really a lot of fun..... :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Sun May 08, 2016 8:08 am

a cruiser isn't the best steed to be riding even moderately aggressively through a curve
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun May 08, 2016 8:57 am

I agree a cruiser is not the best bike to be doing it on, but even on a big heavy Goldwing, there's a certain thrill to doing everything "just right".
But doing it just a little wrong could mean a very painful and expensive lesson. There's always going to be those times we hit a corner a little faster than we should and that "oh shinola" moment strikes, but that's a little different from doing it on purpose.

Just riding a motorcycle is risky. I don't know why I increase my risk on a crooked road. That's all. :lol:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

maintainer
Motorcycle: 1977 GL 1000
1982 GL 1100 Interstate (Sold)

Postby maintainer » Sun May 08, 2016 9:26 am

I come from sportbikes and though I no longer own one, I still lust after my next one. They simply do everything I enjoy from riding, light years better and ahead of anything else. Their performance in almost all categories handling, acceleration, and braking is phenomenal with almost intuitive ability.
Cruising or touring have their pluses, but corner carving and brute power aren't their strong suit by design.
I no longer live in the mountains but still seek what little curvage I can find, and yes even on a goldwing. :lol:
Adrenaline is an hormonally produced natural drug, and it still calls my name occassionally. And I'm no kid at 59 years young.
1982 GL 1100 Interstate SOLD
1977 GL 1000 Standard (naked can be good, who knew?)

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun May 08, 2016 11:23 am

I've only had one bike that, nowadays, would remotely be considered a sportbike. When I had it, it was called a sport-touring bike, my '94 ZX11.
But even with that, I didn't really hit the corners that hard. But when I hit one harder than I intended, I was surprised how well it would still go around.
I liked coming out of a corner, not seeing another vehicle in sight then cranking it open. Wow! That was a thrill! Pure, raw power as the tach needle spun up towards 10,000 rpm. That was a hoot!
I guess I'm just going to push the curves on my Goldwing. Its got good power to be so big. I just need to jack my caution level up a bit so I don't leave my bike on the side of the road while an ambulance hauls my bones to a hospital. :lol:

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun May 08, 2016 12:30 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:...Oh, the SUV. Ran off the right side of the road. A straight part of the road. Off the road, into the grass, the over the hill into the trees. That's all I know.

Hmmm...

Texting...

Fell asleep...

Alcohol related...

Small animal avoidance...

Hopefully no one was hurt in either case.

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”