Handle Bar Helmet Locks

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Boatingrtb
Motorcycle: 2007 gl1800

Handle Bar Helmet Locks

Postby Boatingrtb » Fri May 20, 2016 7:46 pm

I purchased some handlebar helmet locks from Lidlox. I installed them & on one side I twisted the set screw too tight, I think, and buggered up the lock mechanism. Anyway, I talked with Matt at lidlox (who returned my call immediately as I was escalating because I used some blue loctite on the main 6mm bolt) and even though it may or may not have been my fault he helped me get the bad one off and placed a new one free of charge in the mail, same day (with matching keys). I was amazed at the customer service.

I seem to love them for my purposes. So easy to hop off the bike & instantly lock my helmet on the handlebar during lunch.

I'm curious, what kinds of handlebar helmet locks have others tried & liked or disliked? Or any aftermarket helmet locks for that matter.

-T

smilam
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 With a Roadsmith Trike Conversion

Re: Handle Bar Helmet Locks

Postby smilam » Fri May 20, 2016 11:02 pm

I am glad you posted about Lidlox. I looked for a way to lock my helmets to my handle bars a couple of years ago. A friend had some of these on a older motorcycle but I couldn't find any that worked on a GL1800. I tried a few different dealers and looked on the internet but never found anything that would work. Now when we travel we will be able to lock our helmets up and not have to move everything out of the top trunk to make room for the helmets.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Sun May 22, 2016 8:30 am

Yes, thank you for that. I've never liked the helmet lock system on the 'Wing. Having the locks under the trunk makes it awkward as hell to get to, and who thought it was a good idea to make us dig through a loaded trunk to get to the lever to unlock them? Just a poor design.

How well do these Lidlox ones work? Do you let your helmets hang below the handlebars or do you have them sitting on top? Looking at my 'Wing I'm not sure that I would want them hanging below, and if they are sitting on top I wonder if it would make it awkward to put the cover on the bike. I may just give them a call tomorrow and talk to them about it.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Boatingrtb
Motorcycle: 2007 gl1800

Postby Boatingrtb » Sun May 22, 2016 10:20 am

I let mine hang from the left handle bar with the bike on the kickstand so it's leaning away from the bike. I have not yet hung one from the right handle bar where it would swing in closer to the bike.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”