BE CAREFUL!!! - "LOCKY" computer hijacker is here!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

BE CAREFUL!!! - "LOCKY" computer hijacker is here!

Postby Mh434 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:22 pm

I know, this is very much "off topic", but I wanted everyone to know about it.

WingAdmin - if you want this somewhere else, please feel free to move it - hopefully, where all will be able to access it...

The "Locky" computer hijacking thing is here, in Canada now, too. My wife got an incoming .XLS file on her home computer yesterday in an email (she gets several of these per day from her company's head office), in a .ZIP format. Unfortunately, as it appeared genuine, and came from a trusted source, she opened it.

A few seconds later, Windows Defender (she's on Win10) caught & isolated it, but not before it had already encrypted 10,000 photos & several thousand of her documents.

This "virus", for those not familiar with it, uses "military-grade" (some say NSA-level) encryption to encrypt all the files on your computer, then ransom the "unlocking key" to you for $400 USD. As far as I can determine, no one who has paid has actually got their files back. From local computer experts, we have heard that no one has successfully been able to decrypt a single file affected by "Locky". Typically, this attack comes in via email, with an attachment (such as Word, Excel, .DocX, etc.) file. Opening this file activates the "Locky" program. Its effects are not instantaneous, as it has to encrypt thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of files, which (in my wife's case) gave her anti-virus time to react.

Windows Defender was able to isolate the "Locky" program quickly enough that the hijacker was unable to encrypt all her files before it was stopped - some files remained unaffected.

MalwareBytes did NOT recognize or isolate "Locky", by the way.

The "Locky" program also deletes all "shadow" copies of your files that Windows normally creates for backup purposes.

Strangely, all the pictures she had viewed in Picassa were unaffected, presumably because Picassa stores a copy of your pictures in a format that the hijacker does not recognize.

If you don't remove this hijacker from your computer completely (and it hides very well indeed), attempting to restore your files from a backup will simply encrypt those, as soon as you do it.

Anyway, since we're all fairly computer-literate here, I wanted everyone to be aware of this, to save you from the heartache of losing, well, pretty much everything on your computer. Basically, any emails (with attachments you aren't expecting) should be deleted...then empty the recycle box immediately (there is also a "shredder" program that my wife used - supposedly it destroys files so completely, byte by byte, that they can't be reconstituted).

Hopefully, this will be of help to others...pass it on.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Re: BE CAREFUL!!! - "LOCKY" computer hijacker is here!

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri May 27, 2016 5:38 pm

I've read about the misery computer hackers and I.D. thieves can wreck on peoples lives. Then when they are caught all they get is a slap on the wrist.

Its not politically correct and its barbaric but if they don't get a long prison sentence, hacking off a hand would let everyone know this person is a thief. :evil:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:42 pm

...or at least slow down their virus writing!

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri May 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Make'em think twice about doing it again.

I've also wondered, when so many people get scam attempts from a foreign country, can't the government just pull the plug on that country's internet access to U.S. citizens?
I don't know how it all works but it seems like China has a say so on what goes on, on their internet.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri May 27, 2016 10:10 pm

I use and maintain windows 10 also.Actually more than a dozen of them.
I did make a system restore DVD for each one.
After the computers were set up the way I want it,I made a system image on a USB passport drive for each one then is disconnected and stored.
Worse case happens,I simply insert the DVD and restore it from the Passport.
I also do a backup of data for each computer..Just not on the computer.
I use another Passport for that.I backup each one once a week manually.
All pictures and documents are archived and protected.
Generally I keep all the computers off line as much as possible... Disconnecting from the internet when its not needed.
I always delete unknown emails and never use a 3rd party email service like incredimail.
To help prevent email crap like this,I've resorted to using Android tablets at home.
Even with them,you need to close each internet app when not in use.
If "we" blocked access from the offending country,they say "we" wouldn't be able to locate the offender.
Even China,with all the government restrictions on there internet service,has breaches.
When all else fails I use the ultimate cure...
The power button and then go out for a bike ride. :lol:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 am

Oh, I didn't know offenders were extradited from foreign countries for hacking and scamming.
Still need to publicly show these rectal portals going behind cell doors for years for their crimes.
A slap on the wrist and then a good job with a computer company writing computer protection software, or whatever it's called, isn't working.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:Oh, I didn't know offenders were extradited from foreign countries for hacking and scamming.

I doubt that we do.I suspect we just tell on them and tax more of there junk they sell here.

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Even the stuff you trust is a headache. I let Quicken do an update this morning. After that, it would not open. Web site said calls were 1/2 hour behind and live chat would be 15 minutes wait time.
Finally, I just copied the Quicken directory directly to a thumb drive JUST IN CASE, and downloaded the whole program from my sign in on Quicken.com.
The "new" program removed the "old" program and reinstalled itself AND did all of the updates.
Quicken works again. I would say HOORAY, but it should not have happened. That's the last time I will do incremental Quicken updates. As long as it works at all, I will wait for the new version.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat May 28, 2016 7:57 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Make'em think twice about doing it again.

I've also wondered, when so many people get scam attempts from a foreign country, can't the government just pull the plug on that country's internet access to U.S. citizens?
I don't know how it all works but it seems like China has a say so on what goes on, on their internet.

I emailed Microsoft about 2+ years ago with that very idea.
My query was due to the ever growing SPAM mail. Which 3 years ago was a HUGE increase in Spam and hackers sending viruses, smut, etc.. We had 3-ish rounds of email chats and concluded it's impossible to block any server, anywhere around the world. Besides, I wasn't the first to suggest such a thing. MS had already conversed with the W3 consortium on this subject. MS said it would be near impossible to get all Nodes to work together to ban one server since new servers are installed seemingly daily which begets a new IP clean address.

There's several servers connected to a Node and blocking one server or even a Node said server or Node will run through other servers and Nodes to reach out (see pix below).
Even if a server or Node were successfully blocked and became an island, hackers always have tricks to get around the blockage. :x

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat May 28, 2016 8:16 pm

It's like a living thing has been created. So anyone wanting to have a pc must spend $'s just to protect their pc from those of little or no moral values.
That's a shame. :cry:
Wonder if there are any groups actively hunting these idiots, in cyberspace of course, and when they find them, crash their computer(s) somehow? That would be cool. :twisted:

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:23 pm

It would be fun, for sure! Like, gathering up hundreds of viruses, responding to the demand for money on Locky, but sending back the huge pile of viruses instead of money. Ah, 'tis but to dream...
Last edited by Mh434 on Sat May 28, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat May 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Mh434 wrote:It would be fun, for sure! Like, gathering up hundreds of viruses, responding to the demand for money on Locky, but sending back the huge pile of viruses instead of money. Ah, it is to dream...

... and a few K volts of juice thru their PC. (wishful dreams)

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”