Car runs over motorcycle in Florida

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Car runs over motorcycle in Florida

Postby thunderwing » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 am

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-new ... 8349-story

Another sad state of affairs story for a motorcyclist that wound up with a broken leg from road rage, and that's lucky for him as it could have been a lot worse.

What's the world coming to, we live in a state of apathy for our fellow human being.....it's not right that this happens to motorcyclists.

I hope they throw the book at this perp, and make a supreme example of him or her.

Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Car runs over motorcycle in Florida

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:14 am

I have the dubious distinction of knowing that biker. As a matter of fact he's a riding buddy. I was with him, and 4 other folks on the ride to the Florida National Cemetery yesterday morning, for the Memorial Day service. We ate lunch around noon, and afterward I headed home, while the rest of the group continued to a couple of other stops. They were looking for a place to eat dinner, when this occurred. The car driver was arrested 5 minutes later, after stopping to change his blown out tire. He's in jail, hopefully for a long time. Charged with attempted man slaughter, and maybe upgraded to attempted murder. The perp is already a 2 time state prison loser.
Ironically, Joe, the biker, is a Navy vet, attacked on Memorial Day :x

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:42 am

The biker says he was letting the guy know that they were not pleased with his driving methods. Well, when confronted by someone who looks by his picture as being a skinhead on PCP, I might have thought better about aggravating him further. I hope he had insurance and it pays to fix the bike. Florida is a choice state, right? Insure if you feel like it?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:28 am

What an absolute idiot. It just doesn't pay to confront anyone these days. Best to just back off and play it safe. Bike vs cage there is only one outcome.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:52 pm

themainviking wrote:The biker says he was letting the guy know that they were not pleased with his driving methods. Well, when confronted by someone who looks by his picture as being a skinhead on PCP, I might have thought better about aggravating him further. I hope he had insurance and it pays to fix the bike. Florida is a choice state, right? Insure if you feel like it?

In retrospect, you are 100% correct. Joe's not a hothead, but he does get aggravated when someone is driving as erratically as this guy was. Next time, I suspect he will take the more passive approach. A trashed bike, and hobbling around on crutches is not his idea of a great day of riding. It wound up that his fibula is fractured, and fortunately not displaced. But it will slow down his activity for a while, as will the lack of a bike until repaired or replaced. I know he looks like your typical HD badass, but he's really a very quiet, nice guy. A good friend. Melanie, his passenger, has no breaks, just a nasty "road rash" caused by the car tire riding up her leg. She was actually very lucky, considering the lack of riding gear she was NOT wearing. When we met for breakfast, I was going to say something to her, but it was too late already. Next time.....

BTW, the picture used originally, was one of his mug shots from previous stints in Florida prison. He's since kind of dropped the retro-skinhead look, and just gone straight for the deranged psycho look. The charges have been appropriately raised to 2 counts of attempted murder. That was being anticipated.
Attachments

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:14 am

My sympathies, of course, go to Joe and Melanie. I wish them both a speedy recovery. They were fortunate they were stopped and not traveling 55 - 70 mph when this idiot decided to run them over!

This guy is in jail now, hopefully for a long time. But he's not the only one with such a low regard for the life of anyone on a motorcycle.
Wonder how many times these things happen but there's no video and no national coverage?
Be safe everyone. Don't P.O. the nut behind a steering wheel.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:41 am

Looks like the charges have been upgraded to attempted murder:
http://www.today.com/video/driver-who-r ... 6591428002
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:47 am

thunderwing wrote:What's the world coming to...

Exactly, best today to choose to not confront... They will probably throw the book at this punk but there will be another one right behind him to take his place...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

crock4
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing
2007 VT 750 shadow Aero Sold
2001 harley softail deuce Sold
2003 harley road king sold
2010 Honda Stateline

Postby crock4 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:00 pm

My prayers to Joe and Melanie for a quick recovery. This incident really doesn't surprise me though. A lot of people do things while behind the wheel they would never think of doing otherwise. This guy has a jailhouse mentality, but a lot of "normal " folks get like that everytime they are behind the wheel. They treat people in other cars like that so a person on a bike has really got to be alert, and non confrontational, and have an exit strategy. Ride like people are trying to hit you, because some of them are.
Bob
Passion keeps your blood flowing and your heart beating. Motorcycles are my passion !

Subhunter76
Motorcycle: 1994 GL 1500 aspencade with sidecar

Postby Subhunter76 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:56 pm

Saw this on FB, unfortunatley as riders we don't have the size or protection against a holes like this. I generally try to avoid any confrontations with auto drivers on the road cause you never know what your going to get. A long time ago I had someone cut me off while riding to the gym, I was so mad I looped in th the Home Depot lot to give him my opinion of his lack of vision and could not find him, I turned around and stated to leave only to be t-boned by some guy in a truck that was not looking where he was turning. I saw it coming and was trying to get off and away from the bike when he hit me and broke both bones in my lower leg and then proceeded to tell me I pulled out in front of him. I was in a handicap spot when he hit me. I should have let it go and just continued to the gym.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”