National Park Entry Fees

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

National Park Entry Fees

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:14 am

I was just reading on "greatest.com" that there is an entry fee of $25 per vehicle at Big Bend National Park as well as many other national parks. Its good for 7 days.

There was no mention of a one-day fee of maybe $5 or $10. Has anyone been to a national park lately and only paid a daily rate, or is the weekly rate it? :roll:

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

OldZX11Rider

Re: National Park Entry Fees

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:18 am

I was looking for information about tent camping in the Jackson, Wyoming area, is it fairly safe, when I came across that website. :D
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:16 pm

This link gives good information about the lifetime senior pass (assuming you qualify) ;) if you're 62.
https://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/ ... 80-pdf.pdf
It costs only $10 if you obtain it in person and as stated is lifetime for all US national parks. If you don't qualify, all you have to do is wait.... :)

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:52 pm

The Lifetime Pass for US citizens or permanent resident 62 years of age or older is the way to go. Go to any National Park, pay your $10, get your pass and you have unlimited entry to any National Park for the rest of your life.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:01 pm

That sounds great! :D
I can do that next year. :roll:

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 pm

:D Do I get some kind of credit for the previous 61 years of this "lifetime" pass?
:lol:

Don't see how they can call it a "lifetime pass" when I'm willing to bet most of my lifetime has already "passed". :lol:

(Just poking fun at Uncle Sam.) :D

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:14 am

Normal entry fee at Big Bend for a cage is $25. Motorcycles $20. I have a feeling that all entry fees will be going up in the near future. Seeing how we/our gov't is $20,000,000,000,000 in deb't. The fee at every other park I have been to has been $10. The senior pass has covered them all for the one time fee of $10. Exception to that rule is Mt Rushmore where the fee isn't covered by the senior pass. There they charge a $10 fee for "parking" not for entry. SOBs
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:49 am

A buck is just not worth much anymore.
I was watching a program on tv a couple months ago. I don't remember what was the subject exactly, but a rich man died leaving his wife the richest widow in America.
It may have been DuPont. Anyhow, it was the later 1800's I think. He left her X number of dollars worth X number today.

Being the curious type, I got my calculator out. A dollar back then was worth 240 times what a dollar is worth today! :shock:
I knew there would be a difference but I wasn't expecting that much.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:40 pm

If you are 62YOA get the Senior National Pass. I probably will not cover the cost of camping in the National Parks but it will get you in!

Folks, I am also on fixed income so I understand, but I also realize that it costs a fortune annually to maintain and provide iimprovements for these Parks. I am sure the maintenance on some old buildings is really expensive and I know the cost of roads and fixing the roads is quite expensive. And remember if someone gets off the path, the Park has to send it the Rangers for a rescue party and all of this is expensive.

My point being that if some of the fees do go up for the cost it really is not a bad thing!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:20 am

Disabled Vets get a free lifetime pass to all Federal Parks, Forest, camps, etc... made up in advance, laminated card issued, an non expiring...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:46 am

OldZX11Rider wrote:A buck is just not worth much anymore. I was watching a program on tv a couple months ago. I don't remember what was the subject exactly, but a rich man died leaving his wife the richest widow in America. It may have been DuPont. Anyhow, it was the later 1800's I think. He left her X number of dollars worth X number today.
Being the curious type, I got my calculator out. A dollar back then was worth 240 times what a dollar is worth today! :shock: I knew there would be a difference but I wasn't expecting that much.

Way-way back in Jr High (7th-8th grades) our Geography class touched on world economics. America's and the world's entrepreneurs were all about making the MIGHTY BUCK at any and all costs, at times uncaring to the death of the customer (our teachers got really deep and graphic). So after learning the yearly 'cost of living' thing, this dawned on me. The world should be on a monetary maximum yearly increase of 0.03 to 0.05%. This is both income and sales hikes. Teach pondered a moment since he never had the likes of my type of questions, said it can't be done. I of coarse asked why, "Free Enterprise" was his simple answer.
BUT as time went on I watched and seen America slowly growing economically more than any other country and slowly putting our products out of the reach of exponentially more world customers. After high school getting into the work force it dawned on me where the biggest problem was.... unions, unions demanding higher & HIGHER wages. Said high wages even went to the union protected lazy workers. THAT still Irks me today seeing the lazy ones getting $60 hr while the real workers toil for the same wage (2016). (GRRrrr)
I'm one of those who did real work for a living (started out at 11 y/o doing 40 hrs), putting in 10-14 hr days of some jobs both 'punch card' and my customers. Luckily I only had to fire one person in my lifetime, tho I still feel bad about that one.

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:58 am

harvey01 wrote:If you are 62YOA get the Senior National Pass. I probably will not cover the cost of camping in the National Parks but it will get you in!
Folks, I am also on fixed income so I understand, but I also realize that it costs a fortune annually to maintain and provide iimprovements for these Parks. I am sure the maintenance on some old buildings is really expensive and I know the cost of roads and fixing the roads is quite expensive. And remember if someone gets off the path, the Park has to send it the Rangers for a rescue party and all of this is expensive.
My point being that if some of the fees do go up for the cost it really is not a bad thing!

At our National Parks I don't mind a building to house general info and maybe a few memento trinkets but when these 'looooong and winding roads' and building get so glorified AND HUGE, the cost of upkeep is getting way out of hand. Are we not there for whats in the parks sights? Up until (roughly) mid-1960's our parks were pretty much free. Our federal income tax paid for the parks meager upkeep. Also back then folks volunteered their services. How things have greedily changed. :evil:
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:25 am

OldZX11Rider wrote::D Do I get some kind of credit for the previous 61 years of this "lifetime" pass?
:lol:

Don't see how they can call it a "lifetime pass" when I'm willing to bet most of my lifetime has already "passed". :lol:

(Just poking fun at Uncle Sam.) :D

(Uncle Sam poking back)...

Tho, I AGREE with ya on Lifetime credit. GOOD CATCH!

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:27 am

Never belonged to a union, never will. I think there was a time for unions but that time has passed.
Now they just cost all consumers more money. Like the cost of shoplifting is passed on to the consumer, the cost of paying high wages to a worthless, unfireable, employee is passed on.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:21 pm

How did we go from a discussion of our National Parks and their fees to talking about unions?

Maybe they should rephrase "lifetime" to "the rest of your lifetime". Might be more realistic!

But I still enjoy my pass!
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:28 pm

harvey01 wrote:How did we go from a discussion of our National Parks and their fees to talking about unions?

Good point...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

OldZX11Rider

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:07 am

Sort of, but maybe not exactly, back on topic. I stopped at a Colorado state park one evening. I'm on a motorcycle, by myself, just want to put up a tent for one night. I've got my own water and don't need any electrical power.
Just wanted a place to park, sleep for the night, and be gone the next morning, not going to build a campfire or anything. They were going to charge me either $33 or $36 (can't remember which).
It'll be harder to maintain park facilities when fees are so high no one will go.
I turned around and left. Its not hard to find an out of the way place to set up a tent.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:46 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:Sort of, but maybe not exactly, back on topic. I stopped at a Colorado state park one evening. I'm on a motorcycle, by myself, just want to put up a tent for one night. I've got my own water and don't need any electrical power.
Just wanted a place to park, sleep for the night, and be gone the next morning, not going to build a campfire or anything. They were going to charge me either $33 or $36 (can't remember which).
It'll be harder to maintain park facilities when fees are so high no one will go.
I turned around and left.
Its not hard to find an out of the way place to set up a tent.

You got that right.
Don't leave home without this....

Tho one should go back and skuff up the tire tracks in the grass.
I've done this a couple times, never been seen,.. I think.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”