Fogs or drving lights?...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Fogs or drving lights?...

Postby Rob H » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:44 am

While we were in the UK we had cause to ride in the rain in the dark with no street lights and no road markings. Anyway it was not good because we could see nothing. The rain on the screen and my visor was made worse by oncoming cars. I found the wings headlights really poor.
The cornering lights have been wired to stay on as driving lights.

My question is?

Would it make better sense to fit a set of yellow fog type lights or an additional set of driving lights?

I have seen some mounted just below the fairing on some of your bikes. Are these more for dry night riding or are they beneficial in the rain and dark?.

OK, that's more than one question but would appreciate your feedback

Thanks

Rob and Luce

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Re: Fogs or drving lights?...

Postby Rob H » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:52 am

Something like this.............

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am

I added the lights under the fairing to help illuminate some dark areas that the factory lights missed. But mostly so that other motorists would sort of get the idea I was there. As far as the fog lights go, in theory the yellow or amber colored light subtracts the blue of the fog and enables you to see farther. I think it actually allows others to see you better. Fog lights should also throw out a flat beam of light as opposed to a spot beam. The lights in your photo appear to be the driving light pattern. HIDs would be brighter and projectors would offer a sharp cut off pattern.
No matter what type of beam or color of light you have rain drops on your windshield and/or visor always makes it worse because of the way the water refracts the light. About all that helps is slowing down to be extra cautious.
But to answer one of your questions... How much driving do you do in fog? I have driven in England. Both city and country driving. Interesting country roads the have. I would opt for driving lights for the country because they should throw a beam of light a long distance. The newer LED headlights look pretty good for that because they use less wattage for the same or higher lumens. That and the low mounted wide beam driving lights should get the job done.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:19 pm

I think something with a flat beam would be a good idea because I could not see the edge of the road. Conditions were not great,

Don't normally ride in the rain and fog. Hardly ever rains here.

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:31 pm

I haven't found anything that mounts in the lower light housing that would work. I have seen free standing projectors that look like you could mount them just under the fairing. They were the Hi/Low type so you would get the cropped cut off beam. With HIDs you would also have to install the ballast somewhere. I checked around and asked several places about extending the wiring from the ballast to the bulb but got no definite answers. I finally just ordered a couple of extension cables so I could mount the ballast in the fairing behind the right turn signal. I have experienced no problems with extending it.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Postby rudolphwolven » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Very bright driving lights from China at $ 12,- each (free delivery) on my GL1000 K1.............directly connected to the current circuit; evt. with extra on/off switch........
In my situation bolted on using the oem-bolt of the orange winker .....without the use of the alu-clamps supplied with the lights......

Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Fiberthree wrote:I haven't found anything that mounts in the lower light housing that would work. I have seen free standing projectors that look like you could mount them just under the fairing. They were the Hi/Low type so you would get the cropped cut off beam. With HIDs you would also have to install the ballast somewhere. I checked around and asked several places about extending the wiring from the ballast to the bulb but got no definite answers. I finally just ordered a couple of extension cables so I could mount the ballast in the fairing behind the right turn signal. I have experienced no problems with extending it.

Have you done much riding in the rain? Your lights in the profile pic look very efficient.

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:26 pm

rudolphwolven wrote:*****
Very bright driving lights from China at $ 12,- each (free delivery) on my GL1000 K1.............directly connected to the current circuit; evt. with extra on/off switch........
In my situation bolted on using the oem-bolt of the orange winker .....without the use of the alu-clamps supplied with the lights......

4acb204d77.jpg

44e92f41bb.jpg

684bd138e7.jpg

ff0077b920.jpg

ad256874ea.jpg

I have a set similar to these on another bike but found the beam quite narrow. They appear very bright. So as a driving light to allow motorist to see you they seem to work ok.

Fiberthree

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Rob H wrote:
Have you done much riding in the rain? Your lights in the profile pic look very efficient.

The lights under the fairing fill in the dark spots between the bike and the light pattern from my headlights. This photo is before I converted them to HID projectors. All of the rain driving I've done has been freeway/city driving and with that I usually have the HIDs off and run just the small driving lights and the white halos. I don't get the reflection off the rain as much that way. But , depending on how heavy the rain is, water on the windshield is still bothersome. My windshield is usually waxed so the water just runs up and over the top. Pain in the rear to clean water spots off these wonderful machines. Lucky for us it doesn't rain much in southern California.
Attachments
Ed

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 pm

I bought & installed a set of the "bullet"-shaped, China-sourced (via Ebay) LED driving lights. Many of the sellers offer the beam pattern of your choice, from narrow to very wide. Mine are of the medium-wide variety, and give me broad-daylight lighting everywhere withing the normal range of low-beam headlights, PLUS they light up both shoulders fully. I think they're a great addition - they're far brighter than even uprated Halogen bulbs, run cool, they're totally waterproof, and use very little power. Oh...and they're CHEAP! Those, plus my new Pathfinder LED headlight bulbs, and I now have better lighting than any vehicle I've ever operated.

Rob H

Postby Rob H » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks for all the replies, I am having a look around to see if I can find something that is going to work.

Appreciate all the input
Regards
Rob

Return to “Goldwing Chat”