Target fixation

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Target fixation

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Here is a first class grade-A example of target fixation: whatever you look at, is where you will go.

This was a new rider, with two weeks of riding experience under his belt. How many things can you count wrong? I see:

- Following too close
- Braking too late
- Not using the full braking ability of the bike (until it was too late)
- Braking but not swerving
- Not using his obvious "out" (the shoulder to his left) early on
- Staring at the object, and therefore riding directly into it
- Riding in shorts

He came away with relatively minor injuries, thankfully, except for an excellent case of road rash, thanks to the boneheaded decision to ride wearing shorts.

Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself....

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: Target fixation

Postby Mh434 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Excellent post!

It's true - whatever you fixate on, you WILL hit on a motorcycle. This guy was lucky - I used to investigate those who weren't (police collision analyst/reconstructionist). A large percentage of the deceased were new riders, and when they saw a critical hazard, they fixed on it & hit it.

As for the road rash, while it may sound "cute", it can be debilitating, can take months to heal, may require massive skin grafts, and leaves one prone to infections for years (think of all those tiny little stones embedded deep in the flesh - the hospital won't get them all out, some will work their way out months or years later - ask me how I know!).

I was unfortunate enough to suffer significant road rash back in the early '90s from a minor crash. I was wearing the mandatory wool uniform pants and, at the first touch with the pavement, they wore through. I had small stones work their way out of the site for about 3 years, each one infecting as it got to the surface. Not good! As a result of my experience, I campaigned (hard!) for proper riding gear, and was successful in having our department change first to leather, and later armored textile, riding gear. We never had a case of road rash since.

For all those considering wearing shorts (and, God forbid, flip flops!) on a bike, I offer this advice: DON'T!!!

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Postby skier » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:48 pm

I saw this on the local news, as it occurred in my locale. The rider was very lucky. The driver pulling the boat did not realize he had lost anything out of his boat, but contacted the police when he saw the news reports. He is cooperating with the accident investigation.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:49 am

I've seen this video. I didn't realize the rider only had two weeks of experience but I figured he hadn't been riding too long.
I can't recall ever wearing flip flops on a motorcycle but I reckon I wouldn't be all that surprised if I did. Now I always wear boots. I don't even like wearing boots with laces. I remember coming to a stop once and my shoelace had looped itself around the brake pedal.
It was an attention grabber! :shock:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:15 pm

{_IN the riders mind... IF Evil Knievel can do it, so can I_}

WEEeeeeeeeeeee,..... oof, ow, ouch, oof, ow-ow-ow!
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:39 pm

This will be an experience he won't be able to live down for years to come. "Friends" will be bringing up that video for a long time to come. :roll:
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:54 pm

OldZX11Rider wrote:This will be an experience he won't be able to live down for years to come. "Friends" will be bringing up that video for a long time to come. :roll:

And when they do bring that video up, he can say, "THAT'S not how it happened. Here, I show you." Then commences to jump, hit the floor with his head first then roll a few times. And finally show them what he did OFF camera... the part WE missed seeing.
:P
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:34 am

Let's hope this will cause him to take a motorcycle rider safety training course.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:09 am

dingdong wrote:Let's hope this will cause him to take a motorcycle rider safety training course.

. . . doubtful.
This shows why, for those who pull trailers, 'KEEP FAR RIGHT'. ;)

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Postby Grindl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:49 am

Before I even clicked the arrow to watch the video ; the very first thing that caught my eye was the tenny-kicks . I have always been so absolutely dumb-founded by the number of people I've seen riding , wearing tennis shoes or flip-flops , yet they have a helmet on . And "They" will tell you without hesitation , that they're safe , because they have their helmet .

I don't wear a helmet ; unless required to do so by law . And that is a personal choice . But I do wear stove-pipe western boots , ( sharkskin ) and heavy fabric or ballistic material jeans . Gloves occasionally , when needed for heat or cold , and a leather jacket when weather (cold) requires .

It is my observation ; from my decades of riding , that when people get all "Armored Up" , they tend to ride much more aggressively , and take many more risks . Personally ; I think it's the "Superman" complex , based on feeling indestructible due to all the safety equipment . But that's just a observation .

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:57 pm

The reason I always ride "armored up" is because it's not my riding style that will harm me - it's the actions of others, wildlife, etc. that will do so. For example, I was struck by a deer (it hit me, I didn't hit it) trying to leap across a country road, while fleeing a farmer's dogs. Without my high-end helmet (and "armor"), I would be dead. It's a 100% certainty. As it was, I suffered over 30 broken bones, a permanently dislocated shoulder, a concussion, and lifetime inner ear (balance) damage. I was riding cautiously (as I knew there were deer in the area), below the posted speed limit, so "aggressive riding style" had nothing to do with it.

For that reason, I would NEVER recommend someone ride without a helmet, under any circumstances.

Bear in mind, it's not just you who you have to consider - family, friends, co-workers also suffer if you are seriously hurt or killed. Think of the horror (and costs) your family would suffer if you were brain damaged & on life support in a hospital for decades. Is it worth that for a "lifestyle" choice?

In my area, we have mandatory government vehicle insurance, and mandatory helmet use. On the odd occasion when someone is injured while riding with a "novelty" helmet, or without a helmet, the costs to the public can run into the millions per year, per injured person.

mterrac
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki Boulevard

Postby mterrac » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:12 am

Agree the rider should have veered to the left, especially as he was in the left lane to start. If I have to hit the ground I'd rather the grass in the median over the pavement any day. He's lucky there wasn't a car right behind him in the left lane to run him over. Agree also that riding in shorts is foolish.

Grindl
Motorcycle: 1978 GL-1000 , 1983 GL-1100A Aspencade

Postby Grindl » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:17 am

Point #1 : To Mr. MH434 . At no place in my post ; did I recommend , or suggest that anyone should ride without a helmet , or any other protective gear . The exact comment was "PERSONAL CHOICE , which in no way indicates or suggests I'm promoting any ideology , unlike like you with your ATGATT diatribe . I live in Arizona , within the boundaries of the United States of America , and the voting citizens of my state have long taken the attitude of keeping their noses out of other adults personal choices . We are even allowed to openly carry guns without bowing down to Commissar Obozo in the District of Corruption , U.S.A.... We voted that in too , by over a 87% landslide vote . I am 67 years old , and have been riding since age thirteen , except for several "Tours" in S.E. Asia , and since my motorcycles have always been my primary transportation , I've managed to rack up close to four and a half Million miles on my bikes through-out those riding years . I ride TWELVE months a year , and probably have more miles backin a bike into a curb , than a lot of people on this site , riding one forward . I've been in four bike wrecks ; none of which were my fault , or I was ever cited for , and the most severe injuries , and the only hospitalization I received , was the one and only accident I had while wearing a "Brain-bucket". Fractured C-4,5,6,7 . Spinal surgery , Bone grafts , total incapacitation for five months , and PROVEN ; to be caused by the $265.00 helmet I was wearing .....So please ! Go preach your "WE THINK" in some other place . You Sir ; are entitled to your view-point , and I support your having that view-point fully . But in all fairness ; I do not need to be lectured to by you , or anyone else on this site regarding my personal choices when they are within the laws of the state I reside in , and pay my taxes to . Perhaps when you begin to pay for my Bike , tires , gas, maintenance and insurance , you will then be qualified to advise me on what gear I should and should not wear while riding .
And for the record ; I have a DNR necklace , DNR card in my wallet and glove box , and carry a $400,000.00 life insurance policy that covers me while riding . And a living will is on file with my county recorder , and my wife has explicit , written medical P.O.A. Think that pretty well covers it !
And the nearest deer is nearly 100 miles in any direction from me . I'm more concerned about the Snow-birds with their Alberta , and Saskatchewan license plates , gawking at the cactus , than I am a deer . Stay Alert ....Stay Alive . As Richard Trow says : "Always better to ride around a accident , than into it "..

Return to “Goldwing Chat”